This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth lordlundar View Post
    No, that would be the result. BB's definition of restructuring is "sack the people that know what they're doing and replace them with idiots off the street that they don't have to pay as much."
    That isn't exclusive to BB or retail in general.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Funny you wrote this - I was just in BB yesterday looking for an ATX power supply too but they wanted $90 for a 400W PSU. I called a local repair geek who works out of his house and he sold me a brand new 500W for $50.
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

$90 for a 400? They must have shown you the most expensive ones they had. I saw some 400 for around $50 - their website has some much cheaper.

Here is a 600 for $60: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermalt...&skuId=5381884

Corsair 500 for $60 also: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...&skuId=4136153

But, I guess this goes along with posts # 13
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Yeesh! I have a 1000W modular that I paid roughly a hundred for. 90 for a 400W is stupid.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Yeesh! I have a 1000W modular that I paid roughly a hundred for. 90 for a 400W is stupid.
            We're discussing desktops, not servers.

Seriously, though, overclocking or just one heck of a machine?
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
              $90 for a 400? They must have shown you the most expensive ones they had. I saw some 400 for around $50 - their website has some much cheaper.

Here is a 600 for $60: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermalt...&skuId=5381884

Corsair 500 for $60 also: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...&skuId=4136153

But, I guess this goes along with posts # 13
              Canada here - this was the cheapest one they had in the store! The website had cheaper ones but "online only."
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                Funny you wrote this - I was just in BB yesterday looking for an ATX power supply too but they wanted $90 for a 400W PSU. I called a local repair geek who works out of his house and he sold me a brand new 500W for $50.
                Wow, I'm in the boonies of BC, and the most expensive power supply I remember seeing on the shelf in the last year was a 500W for $50. The 400W's are sitting in the $30-35 range.

There are some high efficiency 350W power supplies that are in the mid $70s, but boss brought those in against the advice of everyone at work, so I'm not counting them.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                  We're discussing desktops, not servers.

Seriously, though, overclocking or just one heck of a machine?
                  I stand corrected. 750W Quad rail modular connection unit. I was aiming for the modular connections and that was the lowest end I could find for a good price.

That and stupid levels of futureproofing. (I could easily build a brand new high end rig and stick this thing in it.)
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

That and stupid levels of futureproofing. (I could easily build a brand new high end rig and stick this thing in it.)
                    You'd need to be OC'n a high end quad core and running 2 vid cards in Crossfire / SLI to even begin to start using up 750 watts >.>

My spiffy new I5 Ivy Bridge rig I just finished building a few hours ago still only pulls about 300 watts max load tops if I had everything running under a stress test. You want clean, effecient power. Max power doesn't help much unless you're running a seriously ridiculous rig.

Comment

We love our local MicroCenter because DaDairyDruid and I have been in there with our computers for fairly minor things.

Me because I couldn't get the damned heatsink fit on my CPU, due to the way it was designed. It was made specifically for it, but the darn thing wouldn't seat right. The guy got it on no problem. This would have cost at a place like Best Buy. No charge.

DaDairyDruid because the RAM he got was causing errors. We discovered that the motherboard wanted paired RAM and we couldn't mix n match. The guy at the help desk helped find the right RAM and even installed it. Again, no charge.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                        You'd need to be OC'n a high end quad core and running 2 vid cards in Crossfire / SLI to even begin to start using up 750 watts >.>

My spiffy new I5 Ivy Bridge rig I just finished building a few hours ago still only pulls about 300 watts max load tops if I had everything running under a stress test. You want clean, effecient power. Max power doesn't help much unless you're running a seriously ridiculous rig.
                        Yeah I know. Like I said, I was after the modular connection setup and that was the lowest output that I could find.

On the plus side I can put just about anything into my rig and not have to worry about power.
                        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Yeah I know. Like I said, I was after the modular connection setup and that was the lowest output that I could find.

On the plus side I can put just about anything into my rig and not have to worry about power.
                          True, but you're driving up your power bill by having the PSU at low load where it has the worst effenciency. Maybe slap in a second video card and give it something to do ;p

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                            I love walking up to customers in BB (after the associate leaves) and showing them the prices of HDMI cables on Amazon.com - I've gotten 6 cables from there for under $10 and they're the same "quality" as the $40-$50 ones in Best Buy.
                            Monoprice is your bestest bud for cables, hands down.

Quoth draggar View Post
                            You can get one for $20 at Newegg.

500w is $30, and 600w is $50.

Since there's a local Newegg pick-up location that's not far from me, I much prefer to go through them when I don't just hit up the local Fry's. Yet again glad that I don't have to rely on the likes of Best Buy for, well, anything.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Beware, very cheap PSUs can often be able to handle only half their rated load - and you need more than 200W to run a modern PC reliably, unless it's seriously stripped down.

I recommend looking for "80 Plus" certified PSUs. Doesn't matter what level, just the fact that someone has tested it throughout it's load range and been able to *measure* the efficiency of it is a very good sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X