This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very general question--refurbs

So has anyone here ever bought a refurbished laptop?

My sister's laptop is borked, I don't know how; computer repair place said the motherboard is fried, and the hard drive either does or doesn't have anything on it depending on whether they use Linux or something else to check on it

Anyway, she's not in the money right now, and frankly neither am I, to buy a new one. TigerDirect has some seemingly good deals on refurbished laptops.

Just wondered if anyone would share their experience with using a refurbished one.

She mainly uses hers for writing (offline), plus blogging and net surfing. No fancy requirements for gaming or whatnot.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    So has anyone here ever bought a refurbished laptop?

My sister's laptop is borked, I don't know how; computer repair place said the motherboard is fried, and the hard drive either does or doesn't have anything on it depending on whether they use Linux or something else to check on it

Anyway, she's not in the money right now, and frankly neither am I, to buy a new one. TigerDirect has some seemingly good deals on refurbished laptops.

Just wondered if anyone would share their experience with using a refurbished one.

She mainly uses hers for writing (offline), plus blogging and net surfing. No fancy requirements for gaming or whatnot.
    My company has bought a couple of refurbs from Tiger for the project I'm working on. Both ofnthem worked out fine. We bought in the $350-$400 range with no problems (used Dells in both cases)
    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I have used tiger direct for a while. They do a good job and I have never had an issue.

Comment

I have bought 4 or 5 off UBID, back between probably 2000 and 2007 or 8, off lease business laptops mainly. Decent condition, nothing fancy, certainly not the top gaming graphics type. I think I generally paid in the 300-500 range, all HPs [I have a preference for HPs, I know how to work on them and if you understand the heating issue in some models they are quite dependable until you let 6 year olds bang on them]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I bought two refurbs from Fry's. No problems. The biggest thing to to make sure you understand what the warranty is. You also want to see if the warranty is being offered by the store or the manufacturer. If it is offered by the store, how good is the store?
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Look carefully at online reviews of the original, new product. There are lines that get into heavy refurb because they are so good and easily fixed that there are lots of them in the secondary market. And then there's the just plain lemons. Also, look for deals with a new battery if possible.

Comment

I like refurbs on quality electronics, but they do need a warranty. I've had plenty of brand new electronics fail to start (or have serious problems) out of the box, at least you know a refurb has been looked over and tested.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                Look carefully at online reviews of the original, new product. There are lines that get into heavy refurb because they are so good and easily fixed that there are lots of them in the secondary market. And then there's the just plain lemons. Also, look for deals with a new battery if possible.
                Excellent advice! Thank you!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X