Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a computer, where do I even start?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a computer, where do I even start?

Well, last few computers haven't performed well, so I'm trying something new.

Building one.

But, I know almost nothing about components, and since I may be spending around $800 (US) ...

Kinda wanna make sure to build it right.

It'll be used for school and internet, buuuuut I would also like to play WoW, Minecraft and maybe Fallout 4 when it comes out. Some minor photoshopping as well. I probably shouldn't do the game parts, but, it'll save me money in the long run this way.

The main problem with my old computers was that the parts used weren't upgradeable, and we're quickly unsupported (graphics chipset purchased in Jan 2011, last driver update was Feb 2012, and they abandoned it shortly after). So, I would prefer to be able to upgrade too.

Any ideas on where to start? Websites, tools, etc.

Tried looking to see if this had been asked before, but only found build help requests.
    I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
    In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

newegg and NCIX both have pc builder setups to help you get started.

As for recommendations:

CPU: core i5 (Intel) or 6+ core on the AMD side.
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 RAM.
    Video Card: Nvidia GTX (x)60 as high series as you can get or an equivalent AMD. I just got a GTX 960 for 260 and it's a solid card (huge as well!)
    HDD: If speed is vital, go with an SSD, otherwise a standard HDD will give you more capacity for the price point. 1TB minimum if you're going for a conventional HDD.
    Power supply: 700 watt minimum, I recommend a partial modular or full modular power supply if you can manage it so you're not futzing around with loose cables.

Beyond those, you're pretty much open to personal preference. You'll want a motherboard and a case that can accommodate the components of course, but a network card and sound card tends to be built into the motherboard and other parts like optical drives and media readers are up to what you need/want.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Well, knowing what you want is a good start. ^_^

I built one a few months ago for about $600ish (some other minor bits not listed), so this may give you an idea ...I already had a video card and secondary drive. This is just a for instance. YMMV. I got my stuff from NewEgg.

Note -- These days, you really only need 4-8GB RAM unless you plan to do a TON of serious Photoshopping work. 16GB is nice, but not really necessary anytime soon. On the video card -- Just get the best one you can for just under $200. e.g. Intel just released a "budget" version of one of their most recent cards for like $180, iirc

Make absolutely sure that the RAM you get will work in your motherboard. Most board makers will have a Qualified Vendor List (QVL) that shows specific RAM package models that have been tested and are known to work.

Look for store sales and bundles; that's how I wound up with most of the stuff in this list. If you do not already have a 64bit version of Windows, you'll need to get one in order to support the full amount of RAM.

Rosewill RG630-S12 – Green Series 630-Watt Active PFC Power Supply Unit

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive,... - OEM

DIYPC Skyline-07-R Black SECC ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case with 7 x 120mm Red Fans, Hot Swap Docking, Fan Controller

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9S-8GXM

SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

small tube of Arctic Silver (heat sink compound)
      Last edited by EricKei; 08-24-2015, 05:03 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Grrr - I started writing something here, and then accidentally navigated away and lost it. Serves me right for using a Mac with Windows - muscle memory tells me that Option-Left goes back a word, but in Windows it means go back a *page*.

By building a machine yourself, you'll almost automatically get a modular system that can indeed be upgraded in future. You'll also get to choose parts that are individually reliable, instead of the lowest-bidder corner-cutting that goes on with anything that isn't a "headline feature" on the pre-built machines.

Your gaming needs sound straightforward and fairly basic for now, although Fallout 4 is likely to be a lot more taxing than the others. I would build a machine with good integrated graphics (ie. AMD) and with the option to add a dedicated graphics card later. You can even reserve some of your budget for that card. Alternatively, you could get a better-performing CPU without integrated graphics, but then you'll need a separate graphics card immediately.

A further advantage of AMD is that they tend to keep (at least partial) socket compatibility between generations of CPUs, so you don't necessarily have to replace the motherboard at the same time. Intel routinely changes the socket for each CPU generation, every year.

Here are the parts you should put on your research list:

- CPU (AMD calls the integrated-graphics versions an APU). It'll normally come with a competent heatsink that's relatively easy to fit.
        - Motherboard (must fit the CPU, also pay attention to the internal slots and the port selection as these determine upgradability).
        - RAM (must fit the motherboard). Get at least 8GB, 16GB may also be sensible. The newest standard is DDR4, but DDR3 of at least 1600MHz is acceptable.
        - Case (must fit the motherboard).
        - Power supply (get one with a PEG connection, for a later graphics card upgrade; consider "80 Plus" certification mandatory).
        - Hard disk (SSDs are excellent for performance and becoming quite affordable, otherwise a "hybrid" SSHD is acceptable). Consider a second extra-large hard disk for music/video/backup stuff, which doesn't need to be fast.
        - DVD drive (mostly for installing stuff - you might be able to reuse one from an older machine).
        - Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers/headset (you will normally be able to reuse existing ones, but these are surprisingly important to your experience, so be critical).
        - Toolkit (you might already have acceptable screwdrivers lying around, but a dedicated computer toolkit can make things that much easier, especially when you start dropping screws into crevices and need to extract them).

Feel free to ask for more specific advice on any of the above.
        Last edited by Chromatix; 08-24-2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Don't forget the operating system. Since you don't appear to be a computer person (would need a LOT of software tinkering to get heavy-duty games to run under Linux), I'd say go with Windows. Time to figure out which version you want - are you willing to put up with the shenanigans that 10 pulls (including needing an always-on internet connection to "phone home" to Redmond)? If not, you'll need to track down a copy of either XP or 7 (Vista and 8 are much-panned). Remember that "Small and squishy" has stopped supporting XP.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Windows 7 x64 is reasonably painless, and for most purposes I would recommend that over XP. Both can be set to a "classic" Windows 95/98/2K style interface which I greatly prefer over the "pretty" alternatives each uses by default. Without making specific recommendations, Windows 7 Ultimate is still quite easy to get hold of, too, if you look in the right places.

If you do decide to go for Linux, then I would suggest Linux Mint. This can be downloaded to a DVD-R using your existing machine, and will update over the Internet from then on. Steam installs easily, and while the selection of games is smaller on Linux, it does include Minecraft; you just need to remember to switch on the "advanced" graphics drivers. However, it does appear that WoW and Fallout 4 are not going to be so easy to install on Linux. Still, you might want to get a second small SSD to dedicate to Linux, just to try it out.

Comment

Thanks all. : D

Will respond more appreciatively and in depth tomorrow (hopefully) for questions and comments, got home from the first 12+ hour day spent at classes at school, and heading off to bed for my shorter work day tomorrow. This tiny kindle screen gets hard to use when tired.

Having this new computer will save me many hours each week.

Just gotta wait for the last bit of funds I need, next payday. :/

Have a monitor (tv really), but not much else. Might, miiiight, be able to wrangle a Windows 7/8 from a friend. Aside from that, buying everything. Can't use my old copy of 7, came as part of the old computer, and I've been informed that since its been customized by gateway for that laptop, no go.

If that person was wrong, please lemme know. XD
              In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

I built my first one with my son this summer, and we did some searching on the web for what build would be best for his heavy gaming needs. Then we went to a local store that had everything and people to talk to about the actual installation.

Now I've done repairs before, both PC and Mac, but I'd never built one from scratch. There is a huge difference between swapping a component out and trying to figure out where all the damned wires go when nothing is labelled. The worst part was that I have a fancy case with something like six total fans and no way to connect them to the two fan power supplies on the motherboard. It took a little finagling (and a 13 year-old with really good eyes) to figure out where some of the plugs went because some could be connected in more than one place.

It was fun and my son now has the best rig of all his friends. We spent something like $600 on it, all told, and that was buying everything but the operating system.
                Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                  There is a huge difference between swapping a component out and trying to figure out where all the damned wires go when nothing is labelled.
                  Not as much as you think to be honest. Building a new rig is largely just putting in all the components. Anything that is different (which tends to boil down to case to motherboard connections, PSU to motherboard connections, and cable management *shudder*) the information can be found in the component's manual.

Yes, you heard right. I'm a guy and a certified technician who is saying to read the manual. I know, such a concept is supposed to tear the fabric of reality and some such nonsense. Doing it right the first time is better than doing it again when you screw up, assuming you don't have to put out more money to replace the fried components.
                  I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I beg to differ. If you are swapping out a part, you see where the old one was connected, unplug it, then put the new component back in that place.

I DID build one from scratch this summer, and I'm saying that it was a royal pain in the ass to try and figure out where things went since nothing is clearly labeled. I swear to god, the manuals basically said "plug fan into fan power slot on motherboard" with no indication what it looks like or where it might be located. The motherboard was equally unhelpful, with the various slots and ports labelled with codes (S2, P4, etc) and nothing in the manual in print or online that identified what those codes stood for.

Maybe if you're a certified tech who has read the manual and who does this on a regular basis you can recognize the different plugs and ports on sight, but once we put everything together the way what few manuals we had told us they were supposed to go, we spent the next hour going back and swapping things around to try and get everything to power up and register.

I'm not saying people shouldn't try, and it was really cool to be able to complete it successfully, but it really is as simple as plugging everything together, it's not as simple as it sounds. If it were, then people wouldn't pay you computer techs to do it for them.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I've done builds since the '80s, and I gotta say, it's a hell of a lot easier today. Components are made to install easier now, and info is easy to find, but there are still plenty of ways to trip up.

If you have a general idea about the specs your shooting for and your price point, I recommend the website pcpartpicker. You can quickly check out different configurations/prices, and check out the builds other users have put together.
                      Since you've never built a system before, you might consider a barebones system from a place like newegg. You'll add memory, drives, video card, os, and externals. It's a good way to get your feet wet.
                      If you decide to do a full custom build, there are plenty of build videos on youtube. Find a good professional one that shows a complete build from start to finish.

A good learning tool is to find a non-functioning PC, take it apart and put it back together.

Comment

I've taken em apart before, installed a new hd, fan, graphics card, ram, drives, etc. Putting it together, I think I've got that part. I just know next to nothing about the components themselves, and what's good, bad, needed, un-needed, etc.

Thanks again for all the help, wasn't able to get to a computer, and my poor tablet isn't the best at complicated webpages. After I finish my studying tonight, I hope to get out a pad of paper and make a nice list of what I need.

Again, thank you all.

Comment

snipped for space...
                          Sounds more like you just had really crappy reference documents. The MBoard and case documents I have not only have pretty good instructions (that match up with the motherboard labels), it has a map detailing where on the board those components are and what label they have.

Eh, not all the documentation is good, it happens. Sucks that you had to go through that hassle though. Look on the bright side though, you never had to deal with SCSI interfaces. *runs off screaming*

I'm not saying people shouldn't try, and it was really cool to be able to complete it successfully, but it really is as simple as plugging everything together, it's not as simple as it sounds. If it were, then people wouldn't pay you computer techs to do it for them.
                          You would be surprised how much of that is simply people's uncertainty with the insides of a computer and computers in general. What keeps us in business on that particular front are the types that panic when the computer beeps instead of telling it to shut up.

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
                          I've done builds since the '80s, and I gotta say, it's a hell of a lot easier today. Components are made to install easier now, and info is easy to find, but there are still plenty of ways to trip up.
                          This this a thousand times this! Thank GOD for standardization!
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Yeah, school, work, family/home... I swear I'll do it. Get paid on the 10th, so, should by then.

First two weeks are always so busy unfortunately. :/

Comment

When I was researching my recent computer builds, I simply Googled "best (component)" and located the Tom's Hardware "Best (component) for (Month) of (Year)" link that was always one of the first few results. It compares the current video cards (for example) and lists the pros and cons, and what type of build would best benefit from each card. I expect Fallout 4 is gonna want at least a *60 nVidia card or the equivalent in an ATI card, and Tom's Hardware usually says the *70 or above isn't much of an improvement over the *60 for the cost. I just found the site's advice really handy in building what turned out to be two pretty cost-effective and powerful gaming PCs.

Comment

Working...
                              X