Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol. I'm a geek too. Going to Dragon Con soon actually. Thanks for the "cute" thing. Actually, I have a hard time understanding how people can't be computer saavy at least a bit, especially in this day and age. I've been a geek my whole life.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      lol. I'm a geek too. Going to Dragon Con soon actually. Thanks for the "cute" thing. Actually, I have a hard time understanding how people can't be computer saavy at least a bit, especially in this day and age. I've been a geek my whole life.
      I'm going to Dragon*Con too (I tend to hang out with the Pern/Worlds of Anne Mccaffrey crowd), I'm a geek and proud of it. I've been using computers since I was 7 (I'm 34 now), have somewhere around 5,000ish or more books in a two bed flat (yup they are everywhere ), love pokemon and am DnD player.
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Oo, its my fourth year to Dragon Con. We'll be hanging mostly with the gaming crowd. I'm so tempted to see Carrie Fisher but I do NOT want to wait in line for 6 hours. We're getting a picture with Stan Lee done. Totally exciting.

Comment

My Eighth year this year and I come all the way from England too I must be mad...well yes I am
          Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            No worries. It's what's inside the skull that counts
            Thank you!

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
            Yeah... the nerd/geek culture is a bit of a different beast nowadays, especially with the rise of the computer. Well... because of the rise of the computer.
            EDIT: Seshat, you are now a hipster. :3
            Absolutely - regarding the first.

Re the second. Me? hipster? Bwah?

I'm a hoopy frood, man.

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
            S'ok. We love you anyway.
            Thank you.

It really cracks me up that stuff that got me teased in grade school is suddenly cool.
            Oh yes! Me too.

And all these people suddenly dressing 'counterculture'. It's getting harder and harder to play "freak the 'danes".

("Freak the 'danes", aka "freak the mundanes", is the sport of dressing to please yourself, then going out into the world beyond geeklandia with a bunch of your friends and seeing how people respond to you.)
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              I'm a hoopy frood, man.
              *flips Execute Mode Standby switch on his Guide*

*finds "Ford Prefect" entry* : "A hoopy frood who knows where his towel is"

*enters an edit*: "q.v. Seshat"

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                Oh now this I gotta hear
                Like, ummm, uhhhh, GNARLY!

I attribute the ummms uhhs, and likes I utter to my brain not working quite as fast as my mouth.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My user name was given to me by a coworker. We were talking about hobbies and interests while working in the server room at one of my jobs. I listed off mine, and he said, "Jeez, you're, like, the King of the Geeks!"

For the record, my personal definitions:

Geek: Uses know-how and knowledge to earn a living to buy more stuff for their hobbies. Can talk about their hobbies at length, but has enough social skills to know when enough is enough. Only lives in parents basement if the geek is providing home-care assistance.

Nerd: Spends as little time as possible on useful skills, including cleaning and bathing. Talks on and on about minutiae only a few rabid fanboi care about. Lives in parents basement because no roommate will put up with them.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I have a friend who wears a T-shirt that reads, GEEK IS SEXY. I think that says it well.

Comment

I used to be a nerd by that definition (I blame that partly on the fact that in my formative years I was overmedicated, that probably screwed me up something bad before a smart doctor went "Resperidone for a learning disability? WTF?! This kid's more intelligent than half the teenagers I know!"), but now I'm a geek.

Minus the "making a living" part right now, but I'm damn sure working on it.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        *flips Execute Mode Standby switch on his Guide*

*finds "Ford Prefect" entry* : "A hoopy frood who knows where his towel is"

*enters an edit*: "q.v. Seshat"

Main towel: on hook in bathroom.
                        Hair turban: on hook just outside bathroom. (made of towelling, used to dry hair)
                        Backup towels: in towel cupboard that happens to be in what is supposed to be the dining room.

My husband has been called an Alpha Geek.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          I used to be a nerd by that definition
                          No worries. I was a nerd by my own definition, once.

I'd bet most geeks were, at one point. The important thing is you recognize it, and work to better yourself.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I don't think of nerds nor geeks as living in the basement, etc.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Howdy! Proud geek here
                              Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                                Main towel: on hook in bathroom.
                                Hair turban: on hook just outside bathroom. (made of towelling, used to dry hair)
                                Backup towels: in towel cupboard that happens to be in what is supposed to be the dining room.

Hipster: people who do stuff before it was cool. Usually it's a culture/pretention thing--I was teasing.

oddly, this looks a bit like me, for those who've seen the teh.
                                I have this as an avatar somewhere. AND I know it refers to DnD, unlike the new poster running around claiming a WoW pally. Psssh.
                                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Working...
                                X