This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'll jujst kill myself then

I work in a UK mobile phone shop based inside a supermarket. Earlier today a customer came into the shop saying that she had bought a (really cheap) phone from one of my colleagues on Tuesday and that when she had opened it and turned it on the screen looked funny (all messed up, I saw it later).

me: OK do you have your receipt?

hag; No, he never gave me a receipt (Doubtful)

me; OK then, you will need to speak to CSD to try and get a copy of that before I can either return or exchange this

She leaves

Comes back about 20 mins later with a copy of her receipt and I finally get to see the phone, which has a REALLY obvious impact mark on the screen.

me; Unfortunately, due to the damage on your phone, I will not be able to do anything for you today

hag; It's not damaged, it's a fault

me: (Pointing to the impact mark) This is where something has hit and cracked the screen, so as this is damaged and not faulty, I cannot do anything

hag; But this phone is my life, I have people I need to keep in contact with, etc, etc

See above going round in circles for about 10 mins

me; As I have explained, as there is damage to the phone I will not be refunding or exchanging anything today

hag: Get me a manager

me: OK, rang the stores duty manager (who luckily, before he left, used to be my manager in the phoneshop) explained what had happened, and he said exactly the same things I had

another5 mins of going round in circles

mgr: As I have said many times, as it is damaged, we will not be exchanging anything today, however, if you would like to buy another phone, the guys here will be happy to help you

hag: OK then, I'm gonna contact Trading Standards

mgr: That entirely up to you, but as there isn't actually a fault on the phone, they are very unlikely to do anything

hag; Fine, I'll go home, commit suicide, and address my suicide note to Trading Standards so you will all get in trouble

Eventually, mgr just got her out of the store, apparently she tries this sort of thing all the time

Yet another promise the customer will not keep.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

She wins two awards: 1) Dumbbunny of the Day, and 2) Britain's Worst Dramatic Actress.

On the other hand, will you forgive me if I suggest that you can state your store has killer service?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth SimonF12009 View Post
        hag; Fine, I'll go home, commit suicide, and address my suicide note to Trading Standards so you will all get in trouble
        "Down the road, not across the street, K?"
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

*bored voice*
          "That's fine, ma'am. Have a nice day."

This is unquestionably a last stab from a Drama Queen, so there is NO way I would take this as a serious suicide threat and respond appropriately.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Week old phone

She bought in just a week, yet says "hag; But this phone is my life, I have people I need to keep in contact with, etc, etc".

If she bought that soon ago, it should be no problem telling the few people who would ever want to talk to her a new phone number AGAIN!

Comment

"...Fine, I'll go home, commit suicide,..."

There's an app for that. :-)
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

"I'll just go kill myself" ...you know, it might be a better idea to take them WAY too seriously. Going entirely by the rules (varies by area, of course) a nice 72-hour psychiatric hold could be on order here.
                Yes, it's more work than this inDUHvidual deserves, but I guarantee she won't try THAT one on you again.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                  "I'll just go kill myself" ...you know, it might be a better idea to take them WAY too seriously. Going entirely by the rules (varies by area, of course) a nice 72-hour psychiatric hold could be on order here.
                  Yes, it's more work than this inDUHvidual deserves, but I guarantee she won't try THAT one on you again.
                  Malicious compliance. Works every time.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you had every customer who seemed to be not quite sane in body and mind sectioned, the psychiatric hospitals would be overflowing with them....
                    and we would all be saying....
                    Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 10-29-2019, 12:16 AM.
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing. "I'm sorry ma'am, not only am I morally obligated, but I am legally obligated to take that statement seriously, I will contact the authorities and ensure you get the protection you require".

Seriously, I think this is what you should have done. Let's say she actually did off herself, I guarantee her family would be suing the store for not taking her seriously.
                      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Apparently, she came into the store today at 8am, to buy a new phone. The phoneshop doesn't open until 9, lol. And I was told by the security guy that was in, all the staff that work on CSD started laughing when she couldn't see or hear them

[EDIT] I was told by the colleague that sold her the phone that he set it up so her saying it was broken when she opened it is BS

Also, thinking of what Irving said, I mentioned it to another mgr, and he said 'As long as she does it outside the door, that's fine'

[EDIT] Mentioned wrong poster

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        If you had every customer who seemed to be not quite sane in body and mind sectioned, the psychiatric hospitals would be overflowing with them....
                        and we would all be saying....
                        Most of them probaby work in the store my store is part of, lol

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                        She bought in just a week, yet says "hag; But this phone is my life, I have people I need to keep in contact with, etc, etc".

If she bought that soon ago, it should be no problem telling the few people who would ever want to talk to her a new phone number AGAIN!
                        BH, apprently, she had a contract with us, and this was a replacement phone
                        Last edited by MadMike; 10-30-2019, 06:07 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          "Down the road, not across the street, K?"
                          I think you meant "down the vein, not across the wrist"...

Comment

That's what it means....
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Translation: “See you next week!”
                              "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                              .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X