Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An embarassing moment for me this morning. I lost my bank card... ohhh two weeks ago now, got it replaced, but once I got the new card, I couldn't access my online banking anymore! (yes, I was using the new card number, after ascertaining that it didn't work under the old card number anymore).

So today I finally get a few quiet minutes to call their tech support WITH my bank card in front of me.... I explain to the lady what the problem was, and she says, "Okay, can you read me your card number?" "Yeah sure, it's 453-6057..... ARGH!!!!"

Tech: "What, are you okay?"
    me" "yes, I just realized why it wasn't working. Can you hang on just a second while I try to log in?"
    Tech: Sure...
    Me: Yup, just as I thought. The last FOUR cards I've had have all been 453-6056... so I automatically assumed that this one was too - It never occurred to me that with the new calendar year, the generic part of the number would have changed. I'm really sorry for wasting your time, apparently I'm an idiot.

She got a really good laugh out of it, and I learned to pay a bit more attention. *blush*
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I did something like that once. Shortly after I upgraded to cable internet, I lost my connection. I checked all the settings, everything looked fine. No matter what I tried, nothing helped.

I called tech support, and they ran me thru much of the same things I had already tried. Again, nothing helped. They transferred me to level 2 support.

They had me check all kinds of settings, again nothing helped. So they scheduled a visit. Great, I thought. I'm going to have to take off work, and I have no internet until then.

While I was sitting there, I happened to glance at the back of the modem, and noticed that the network cord was sticking out a little farther than usual. Somehow, it had come loose. No idea how that happened, since those things lock in place. With a simple push, I was back online.

I called them up, and told them, "I'm an idiot..."

Although I have to say, I don't think I can take all the blame. Isn't the standard "first step" they have you do to check all connections and make sure everything's plugged in and turned on?
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Two more tales of my own idiocy:

1. I called tech support and had to give them my email address. I decided to spell out the part after the "@." Of course, having worked in tech support I understand that letters can often sound like each other so I "helpfully" added a word to illustrate...

Me: My email address is Dips at d, dog, u, up...

Tech: Dee dog you up?

We both started giggling.

2. In 1986 my college roomate was training me to take over her work-study job for when she graduated. It was using one of the early Macs to catalogue the art department's slide collection. I had used computers since I was a kid, but had never seen a mouse before.

I was trying to move the cursor over to the other side of the screen and ran out of mouse pad before I the pointer was where I wanted it. I was basically stuck at the edge of the mouse pad and my poor roomate couldn't talk me through it.

She finally had to physically pick up my hand with the mouse in it and move it to the other side of the pad.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
        X