Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woof. Been 5 or 6 years mom has my first PC (I bought both my pcs myself) and she still calls me over when confronted with the demented INSTALL WIZARD! This is how it goes.

NM=Nervous mom. Everything she says is in a rattly, nervous tone. Note that she's fairly young.
    Me= Self-explanatory.

NM= SHAAAAAAAARON!

Me= *grumble grumble* What?

NM= COME HERE!

Me= What's the problem?

NM= COME HERE!

Me= *goes there* What is it?

NM= *points at screen. Instructions says to click here* What do I do?

Me= "Click there."

NM= "I'm not gonna Flock up the computer?"

Me= "No."

NM= *click* *new window with same basic instructions pops up.* "Now what do I do?"

Me= "Click there."

Do that daily for 6 years.

She actually made me cry one day when she yelled at me that she could reduce the size of her own pictures on the computer, but not the size of other people's pictures.
    Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

I too, am TechSupport on my Off Days!

I have the same story, but in our family's defense, a lot of them just did not grow up with computers in their laps like some of us may have, so we can understand that. The thing I like about my parents however is, they know they are not too tech savvy, so when I speak, at least they do listen. So many technically dead people, love to call in and tell us how to fix their problem, or tell us our methods don't work, but funny thing, you called us! I tell my parents, computers are here and they are not going anywhere, take at least one hour a day, to practice some things I have shown them, and before they know it, they are better. I am proudest of my father on this one. They just received a router and the peripherals to set up their wireless network at home, and he did not have to call a soul!!!! And it works!!!

They both purchased iPod Nanos, immediately, I know I will have to do EVERYTHING for these devices. From loading the music on them, to downloading the Apple software to each of their computers, and getting them to understand, in order to manage their music, they will need this software.
      Ignorance IS Bliss!:

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post
        I would say there are some companies where being power of attorney means jack to them. If you call my cable company, and the account is in your mothers name, and you're not authorized anywhere on the account, there is a line they can't cross.
        I may have misspoken, there were a few memorable cases where even when my mom had full control over the accounts and they knew it, they still demanded to speak to my grandmother who is largely clueless about this sort of thing. So even though my mom could prove she was authorized on the accounts they were being jerks about it (I forget exactly how the worst offender got set straight but it wasn't easy).
        Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
        Woof. Been 5 or 6 years mom has my first PC (I bought both my pcs myself) and she still calls me over when confronted with the demented INSTALL WIZARD! This is how it goes.
        The Vista "user account control" is worse. if anything, it's more of a security risk as it "trains" joe user to keep clicking yes.
        Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-18-2007, 02:04 AM.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My mom is clueless when it comes to computers of any kind. I am far from a computer whiz like you guys or my dad, but when my dad is out of town I am often subject to some VERY stupid questions such as highlighting. Thankfully, my dad doesn't go out of town as much so I am left to my devices. As for my dad, he's helpless when it comes to Macs. PCs however, good lord we have 5 of them sitting in his basement.
          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
            NM= SHAAAAAAAARON!
            ... Is your mom Ozzy Osbourne?
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

My grandfather is fairly unsupportable. Grandma knows how to handle a computer in the basic ways, but Grandpa likes to reset things and move things around and doesn't have any previous experience with computers. He didn't even know he could use the mouse to move the curser around in Word. If he made a mistake, he would erase everything in between to get to it. My mom is their tech support. Every now and then she will get a call from Grandma saying "Your father did somthing to the computer." At least he's trying.
              I have PMS and a black belt. Any questions?

This random moment is brought to you by the letters A D and D.

Comment

I thought I'd finally gotten my father to act properly when it comes to tech support. Since I got him set up on wireless broadband through my connection, he's not been too bad - or has he?

I found out yesterday that his printer only works intermiitently. I find this out by trying to print something.

"Oh, it's not worked properly for a while," I was told. Why the beggary didn't you tell me sooner? I could have tried to fix it for you!

Sheesh!

Rapscallion

Comment

Reading this thread makes me all the more proud of my grandmother. She asks me tech support questions all the time, and that can get tedious. But she takes notes, and when I'm not there, she consults those notes first before calling me. When I do have to help her by phone, she follows my directions to the letter, repeating back what she does not understand and listening carefully to my explanations. When I'm at the computer with her, I usually show her how to do something (while she takes notes), then she'll have me undo what I did so she can do it herself while I walk her through it, hoping she'll remember for next time.

Now if only she could teach everybody else how to be a good tech support consumer...
                  I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                  - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                  - IPF

Comment

Will your grandmother adopt me????

SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                      Will your grandmother adopt me????

It wouldn't surprise me. She's already adopted two of my friends individually and one whole family of another friend.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        ... Is your mom Ozzy Osbourne?
                        She has a bit more braincells and SELLS drugs instead of consuming them. (Pharmacy technician)
                        She also has a better singing voice. But no british accent.
                        Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
                          Those fake Paypal emails are annoying. I swear I get around 5 a week.

Easy way to show your mom if one of those is fake is one of two things:
                          Then there's the 3rd way to tell that they're fake:
                          You don't even have a PayPal account!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

2 PCs and one iMac later, I don't let my dad even touch a computer.

Now, he's not a dumb guy - far from it, but when it comes to the keyboard - or even worse, the mouse, fuggedabout it.

He's a lot safer not being on the 'net in the first place, the way it is these days.

B
                            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                            X