Quoth kaetchen View Post
    "Bleehehehabsbdbabd College switchboard?"
    "What department is this?"
    "I'm the switchboard."
    "What the hell is that??"
    "...I transfer your call to someone else in the college?"
    "...what? *click*"

...seriously now.
    I would have said "All of them" but then I'm a brat.

Comment

Quoth kaetchen View Post
      "I'm the switchboard."
      "What the hell is that??"
      "A sign that you're not quite ready for college."
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

You don't happen to have this guys phone number on Caller ID would you?

I have to send him a bill for $437 for all the braincells he just killed. You broke them, you bought them.
        I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
          OT: I took a class for college (community) called "Introduction to College" (swear! *hand in the air*) and our final was to stand up before the class and present on anything for ten minutes. Didn't matter what, so I presented a very quick story based on the world I write about. I got my grade back, and the teacher had taken off two points for: "Using big words" ... that blew my mind. And then, I looked back at my presentation in my head, and the biggest word I could think I'd used was 'transformation' because I didn't want to get down into the nitty gritty about the particular character's life changing, traumatic ordeal, it'd take an hour, and most likely be impossible to follow if I didn't draw it on the board/you weren't intimately familiar with the character already.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Had a customer yesterday who got confused by my explanations. He wanted wi-fi in his apartment and already had cable internet. That means he already had a modem. I handed him a router and said all he needed to do was connect the router to the modem with an ethernet cable. He knew what the modem was; he knew what the router was; he knew what ethernet was. But he was still confused. The word that threw him off? "Connect." He had to ask me what I meant by that.

Quoth Juwl View Post
            OT: I took a class for college (community) called "Introduction to College" (swear! *hand in the air*)
            So did I! Only, mine was called "University Success." Dumbest class ever. We covered important stuff like the idea that we, as students, should read textbooks and take notes in class. Not textbook reading or note-taking tips; just, "you should do those things." It's where I met my wife, though, so I can't complain TOO much about it.

Quoth Juwl View Post
            and the teacher had taken off two points for: "Using big words" ... that blew my mind.
            Isn't that the idea of college? Using bigger words than you've been using before (like "switchboard")? Doing stuff that's generally more intelligent? Can I clobber that instructor with a dictionary or three?
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
              A sign you not ready to use a phone.

Comment

haha i'd go apeshiat on that instructor for deducting points for using big words.

Then again I can't stand structured learning, so I don't have to worry about college.

Comment

I bet the "no big words" rule is a spillover from "No Child Left Behind". Which in turn effectively means "Every Child Held Back" to te lowest common denominator.

Fortunately, I dont live in the USA, so I don't have to put up with their education system - just the results of it, occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                  X