Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're violating my First Amendment rights!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're violating my First Amendment rights!

Today I had a caller who has called in multiple times (he had about fifteen pages of notes - most have customers one or two pages) and been so verbally abusive to the CSRs that he had a manager at his local office assigned to his account. If the customer calls in to one of the global call centers, we are to refuse to work with him and refer him to this local manager, partially due to the abuse he hurls at reps and partially due to the ridiculous amount of credits he demands.

My newly hired agent told him this and he demanded to speak to a supervisor. Here's the sucky part of the dialogue:

C: This is a violation of my first amendment rights!
    M: No it's not.
    C: I love the first amendment and I know you're violating it!
    M: I like it too which is why I know it refers to Congress and the government, not privately owned corporations.
    C: No, you're violating my first amendment rights and my civil rights! This is just like a fast food restaurant refusing to serve black people. You do know that's illegal, right?
    M: Yes, I do know that's illegal. It's called discrimination. It is also completely differently from this situation. The best option for you at this point is going to be contacting Mr. (manager)
    C: Why do I always have to call him?
    M: The notes on the account indicate it is because you are verbally abusive.
    C: I'm not verbally abusive! Just because some damn pansy ass fruitloop doesn't like non-PC language doesn't mean I'm verbally abusive! That's what's wrong with society! Everyone's so sensitive! This is ridiculous!
    M: Again, the best option you at this point is going to be contacting Mr. (manager)
    C: Fine, I will.

Granted, my soft skills could have been much better, but crazy people are too tempting.

As my favorite civics teacher explained it- your right stops at my nose.

Your customer does indeed have the right to say whatever he wants. He also has the right to reap the rewards of same. Most people miss the second part, esp. SC.

Comment

how quickly they forget....

The right to free speech does NOT mean others actually have to listen to it. That would be a "right of guaranteed listeners" and heck not even rockstars ahve that

Comment

I would have mentioned to the SC that the constitution has written into it excepts to free speech (slanderous language and incitement come to mind)... and wouldn't you guess, the company believes he is committing (whichever of those two is more appropriate for the situation)
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

can you imagine this man in his everyday life? This man has some sort of mental problem,all kidding aside. How can people talk to other breathing,thinking humans like this.It autually amazes me.

Comment

If he's known to be abusive, why are the reps actually holding on for that long on the call? Either transfer to his local manager directly or advise caller he needs to contact local manager, and then *hang up*. Hanging on until the customer agrees to hang up is just going to get more abuse.

Sounds like the company needs to rethink how they handle this one.

Comment

Wow does this clown ever have a lot of courage, from behind a phone receiver with reps who aren't allowed to tell him what they really think of him.

I'll bet all the money in my pockets that if anyone ever gave him back what he gives, he would collapse faster than a sandcastle in a hurricane. Anyone got the number for the wah-ambulance?
              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                If he's known to be abusive, why are the reps actually holding on for that long on the call? Either transfer to his local manager directly or advise caller he needs to contact local manager, and then *hang up*. Hanging on until the customer agrees to hang up is just going to get more abuse.

Sounds like the company needs to rethink how they handle this one.
                Local managers don't work 24/7. Call centers do.

And regular floor reps aren't allowed to hang up on a customer regardless of the situation.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                  Local managers don't work 24/7. Call centers do.

And regular floor reps aren't allowed to hang up on a customer regardless of the situation.
                  No policy to allow a rep to terminate a call... at all?

At Hellvista we could terminate calls based on a three-strikes rule, but only if the caller was abusive toward the rep him/herself--cursing and swearing at the company was A-OK (well, ok, WE couldn't, the caller could though). The call you posted actually wouldn't qualify (though personally, I'd say he was calling me the pansy-ass, and make that his first strike ). I terminated maybe two or three calls in the entire time I was there, so it was pretty rare. One call that was headed that direction had the caller accusing me of racism.. lucky for him he said the magic word, "supervisor" and I was able to dump him off to someone else.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                    No policy to allow a rep to terminate a call... at all?
                    Nope. If they become abusive the policy is to escalate them to a lead or supervisor who will determine whether or not the call should be terminated.

Like many of our policies, it is in place due to stupid reps who would abuse it and spoil it for everyone.

I personally like it because as a floor rep, it always takes me awhile to find a supervisor and as a new hire coach who takes their escalations, crazy angry people are funny.

Comment

Ah, well at least you get to stick 'em on hold for a while.

After all, Wes says: "The hold button is your. best. friend.....Shows 'em who's boss."
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

It kinda irritates me that the government sticks its finger in the pie when it comes to how business owners run their own business. Catch it over at fratching......

Comment

Working...
                        X