Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows VISTA - Do these customers have SUCKER written on their forehead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows VISTA - Do these customers have SUCKER written on their forehead?

This is not a jab at those out there who have this new and aggravating version of Windows. From what I have seen, it looks like a pretty cool program, although I would rather stick with XP. However, I must lodge a complaint against not those that have the system, but to the sales persons who sell computers with this system in it.

It seems like lately, when I get a customer who calls in for assistance on setting up an internet connection, nine out of ten have no idea what version of Windows they have. "I just bought this computer today" is usually the answer I get, and when I hear it, I groan to myself, knowing chances are great it's VISTA.

In the last few months since VISTA came out, I have only spoken to probably fifteen people with this system. Out of that number, I believe I have had success with only three of them. The rest of them have no idea what they have, and it seems like these people simply walked into the local Best Buy or Circuit City, told the sales person they were buying a new computer, and just walked out with whatever the sales person told them was the best (and probably most expensive).

Of the customers I have had on this, none of them know what version of Windows they have, which is a must in order to set up the connection properly on dial up. I had a lady this week who, after I urged her to look at the papers her PC came with, told me she had "HP Ink Jet" as her operating system. In other words, not only did she have no idea what Windows was nor what the system was, she had no idea what a printer was, or that this Ink Jet was her printer! I think we spent twenty minutes trying to find out what she had when she decided to seek help from where she bought the computer from!

Do the sales people that work in the computer centers of these stores look at customers like this as "Hmm, that one has SUCKER written on their forehead. I know I can make a profit off of them." Computers are extremely difficult to return thanks to the dishonest scum who "rent" their PC's, and these poor people who were not provided with any information are stuck with something they really cannot use and do not need.

Is it even possible to buy a new computer without Vista?

I hate to say this because I know a lot of people can't get broadband... but dial-up + Vista just doesn't seem right. It would be like, "I want to upgrade to Vista... I'll need the version that comes on floppy disks."

I've never had a problem getting someone with Vista connected to cable internet. I usually tell customers, "All you have to do it show it the modem. It'll connect itself." Okay, it's not quite that easy, but just about.
    Last edited by TNT; 05-19-2007, 08:23 PM.
    I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

I caved. My new laptop has vista. So far, only a few issues. One program is having issues and one doesn't want to install. And I've learned to set the compatibility of most programs to XP.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
      ~Clerks

Comment

You can buy Dell's with XP now, they had so many complaints with Vista they started offering both. I'm a Mac girl primarily but I told my husband that Vista is not welcome on any of my PCs I'm anti Vista.
        "If all else fails...blame the dog"

Comment

I'm waiting till they work out the problems & bugs with Vista before I even think about buying a computer with it already installed. For now, I'm happy with Windows XP.

Comment

Same here. I'm not going to Vista until I absolutely have to. I figure this computer is good for another 2 years; by then, Vista should be "bug free"
            [sarcasm]Ha ha ha ha ha ha[/sarcasm]

The only good reason I can think of ugrading is that Halo 2 is coming out on PC soon, and (from what I've read) it will only work on Vista systems.

Bastards
            Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

I had to get a replacement for my laptop through my warrenty (store made mistack) and it came with vista. I made my brother uninstall it and install XP because Vista wouldn't network with 2000 which my desk top has because i haven't updated it since i got it back.

Comment

Knightmare, the cool thing about the Vista Halo 2 is anew feature where you can play the game while it's installing.

Comment

Speaking as one who sells new computers with Windows Vista on them, I can honestly say that it is the customer who screws themselves over with what they buy.

I cannot speak for everyone in my position, but I do my best to fit the right computer to the customer. Not everyone needs the most expensive computer, and unless you're over the age of 70 or computer inept, the cheapest computer isn't going to cut it for you either--especially with Windows Vista. I will honestly tell people that the cheapest computer will be slow, the most expensive computer will have more longevity when it comes to upgrading but may be overkill for their needs, and that yes, spending the extra 50 bucks for twice the ram is without a doubt worth it. But people who don't understand computers for the most part shop by price and assume that just because they don't play games the slowest computer is going to last them for several years without needing an upgrade.

Most people walk into the store and admit they don't understand anything about computers, and we're happy to answer all their questions. However, when it comes to setting up their new computer system, when you mention the cost of having the store technicians do it, suddenly everyone no matter how computer illiterate can suddenly "do it themselves." It's their aggrivation, the only thing we can do is offer to help. People get stuck with crap that doesn't because that is what they choose to buy and they choose to set it up themselves--we don't recommend this to people.

The point is, I get paid the same whether someone buys a thousand dollar computer system or the 300 dollar system--screwing people over for money that I'll never see isn't worth the time or effort.

Comment

Quoth IlovemyGeek View Post
                    You can buy Dell's with XP now, they had so many complaints with Vista they started offering both.
                    Damn them!! I got my computer back in February, when they were only offering Vista. It's been a bit of a headache (mostly getting updates or work-arounds for programs that I use and won't work on Vista), but for the most part it's okay. I haven't had any major issues with it, though I'm dreading the day that I do.

I much prefer XP though...

Comment

I think when I get my new computer, I'll erase the HDD and throw my copy of XP Pro on it (and throw ME on the 'second' PC), but I hope it comes with XP pro...
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I just built a new computer for my fiance. We bought a "backup" copy of XP Pro OEM at the same time, just to have on hand in case something catastrophic happens. AFAIK Windows XP will no longer be for sale as of January 2008.
                        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

I am totally guilty of purchasing a laptop with Vista on it with no knowledge of Vista and what problems it would cause.

I was desperate.......I mean, I came home and the computer was gone. Roomate took it behind my back. And it wasn't coming back. I had to find a laptop, and CHEAP. And NOW.

I went to Dell.com and found the cheapest thing I could get.

Now my computer takes 5 minutes to start and shut down. I get all these warning windows of "Incompatability issues" and "Program can not run because of incompatability problems" and whatnot.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

So far I have yet to sell a system loaded with Vista. I don't think anyone in our shop has (custom builds). As a side note, if you have a legit Vista system & prefer XP, you can "rollback" your OS. Do your XP install & when it asks for your key, call M$ & activate over the phone...Voila.
                            Most folks think that they need to buy a valid XP key
                            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I have Vista, but I also have it on a system with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM. I also have the x64 version and I only encountered a few things that don't work.

1. Dial-up is hell with Vista because Microsoft has dropped "official support" for it in Vista. Translation: it will work, but it doesn't work that well. It hasn't happened to me but my co-workers have said to me, "my client just told me MS and the store are 'discriminating against them' because they don't want to pay for broadband." Newsflash: it's 2007 already, get with the program!

2. The biggest problem I see is that manufacturers are using Vista Home Basic (the crappy version without the Aero interface) as an excuse to justify making PCs that have insufficient amount of RAM. Supposedly, Vista Home Basic only requires 512mb, but people don't realize that Vista will use ALL OF THAT just for itself. Once you add an antivirus etc, the PC will bog down until you add more memory. As a tech support rep, this is a crappy situation because people don't like paying $99 for me to troubleshoot the issue that it's running slow only for me to tell them that the PC is underpowered and they need to upgrade their memory and their issues will be fixed. It makes it sound like the salesperson sold them crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X