Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows VISTA - Do these customers have SUCKER written on their forehead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<linux plug>

I try not to get in people's faces with my GNU/Linux preaching, but I end up doing it anyway. I can barely repress my knee-jerk "Ewww, Outlook, Ewww, Veesta, Ewww, PowerPoint" reactions at work.

I run Beyond Linux from Scratch, 2.6.20.smp. I have been Windows-free since January! (Except for work, which requires the Other.)

I have found this build to be exceptionally good for my purposes -- excellent sound, several great code development applications, and a version of wine that will run all my favorite Elder Scrolls games (Oblivion included, but that required hours of fiddling to get it working, almost as much fiddling as it required to get it working on my vintage 2003 Windows system!)

And now that summer break is here, it's time for some kernel hacking fun in between marathon tech support sessions. Hooray for caffeine! Hooray for Free Software!

Comment

Quoth aracondal View Post
      I'm actually kind of surprised that there aren't more plugs for Linux on this thread...
      Well, that's probably because the board isn't for a pissing match between operating systems or browsers. We've had them in the past. When over ninety percent of users visiting the site are using a version of Windows and a small number of people start the "Windows users are obviously fools" line, things tend to get a bit out of hand.

Feel free to discuss the issues, but please don't start promoting stuff. Heh - I own the site and don't get any benefit out of adverts (what with there not being any), so I don't see why anyone else should.

Rapscallion

Comment

I played around with Vista when I was at a Best Buy a while back, looks cool but a lot of people still aren't computer geeks and would rather not put in the time. If I was still using Windows I'd be staying on XP until all the bugs are worked out. I've found that if you wait a while after a product's initial release when they've sorted any problems is the best time to get it.
        The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I refuse to get Vista. The only thing cool about it is the aero interface. Other than that, it's just another generic OS.
          For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
          -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

Working...
          X