This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This lady thought her six year old daughter could do a DUN set up

One of the best calls I've had this week was the lady who needed assistance with her dial up network set up. I was happy to do so, did the normal procedures with her. Right as I asked her to click her START button to then go into her control panel, she said, "I have to go to work, so I'll put my daughter on." I thought, OK, not a problem being she's putting her teenaged daughter on the phone. NO WAY! She put on her six year old daughter for me to walk her through this! I could not believe it. Kids today are pretty smart, but I do not think they are smart enough to do a complete dial up set up without managing to crash the computer. However, I made the attempt, and this girl did not know where the control panel was. After five minutes, I then asked if her mother was there, and to please let me speak to her. Thankfully, she was still there, and when she came back on, I told her that I think it would be a better idea if she called us back herself when she is not in the middle of her job and has the time to talk to us. She was annoyed with it, but it made me wonder why. It's not as if she was going to go on the internet if she was off to work. It could have been to entertain the daughter. My second thought to this was if she's going to work and putting this six year old girl on the phone, who was there to look after this little girl? Not my problem, but you can't help but think these things.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
    My second thought to this was if she's going to work and putting this six year old girl on the phone, who was there to look after this little girl? Not my problem, but you can't help but think these things.
    I thought the exact same thing. If someone was watching the little girl, why couldn't the mother have put that person on the phone?

And if she was leaving the little girl home alone, well that's another problem altogether.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      I thought the exact same thing. If someone was watching the little girl, why couldn't the mother have put that person on the phone?

And if she was leaving the little girl home alone, well that's another problem altogether.
      I'm glad someone out there read and responded to this concern. I have twins that are both three and I would never leave them alone anywhere, including home.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
        Leaving her at home alone with a stranger on the phone! Can anyone say "Within arms reach" or "Stranger Danger?"
        At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

Comment

Actually I'd rather have the six year old on the line as they know how to take instruction. As long as your patient with the kid it's usually a pretty fast process, they can usually even type faster then there parents!

Comment

I've had parents who couldn't speak English put their small children on the phone to ask questions about their retirement accounts. Seriously. The kids did their best, but it's hard explaining 401(k) concepts to a child...
            The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Phone Jockey View Post
              I've had parents who couldn't speak English put their small children on the phone to ask questions about their retirement accounts. Seriously. The kids did their best, but it's hard explaining 401(k) concepts to a child...
              Gee, that's a good one! Can you explain capital gains and other stock market jargon to them?

Comment

id just have sprayed my coke over my screen and said "mother. speak. *cough* *hack*now."
                ya did good.

Comment

Working...
                X