This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's my Windows!?

Last month a couple bought a computer that they had set up by us, the technicians. We put on Norton Internet Security, Webroot Spysweeper, things like that. I offered them Microsoft Office but they did not take it, as they argued over how much money was being spent on this little tiny HP Slimline.

So a few days later I am working on some sort of virus removal when one of my co worker's interrupts me. "Phone call on the back landline," he said. Disgruntled, I shifted my way past customers to the back phone and picked up... "Thank you for calling Firedog this is Pezzle speaking how can I help you?"

"YOU DIDN'T PUT WINDOWS ON MY COMPUTER!!!" she shrieked. I was perplexed. I was sure every computer I pre-installed had windows on it. After some banter I identified who it was. I asked her what she saw when the computer came on.

"A bar at the bottom and some screen but no windows! I don't see Windows!!" I was very confused. I asked her why she thought windows wasn't on her computer. She replied that she did not see an icon on her desktop for windows and she wanted to use windows RIGHT NOW.

... This argument of what windows was went on for quite some time.

I finally convinced her that Office and Windows were two separate things. Took me an hour.

Hahaha!!! Now try explainign that to a Mac user :P
    At least Adam and Steve don't have to worry about leaving the toilet seat up

Comment

I can't tell you how many times I got asked about 'Windows 97'. I also get people who don't understand what 'Office' is. I say, "I've put Office 2003 on your system." Their response: "Don't forget, I need Word, Excel and Powerpoint too!"
      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
        I can't tell you how many times I got asked about 'Windows 97'. I also get people who don't understand what 'Office' is. I say, "I've put Office 2003 on your system." Their response: "Don't forget, I need Word, Excel and Powerpoint too!"
        That one reminds me of my brother in law, back in 97 bragging to me how he had Windows 97 on his computer. I tried telling him that there was no such thing, it had to be 95 as 98 hadn't come out yet. But he insisted to the point where I gave up. (He'll deny it to this day, I'm sure.) Now OFFICE 97 is probably what he had -- but so many people confuse one for the other! (Even my b-i-l, who is not dumb by any means!)
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

There was an update for 95 that included a splash screen upgrade to say "Windows 96", but that trend didn't seem to last.

Rapscallion

Comment

Couldn't be as bad as the question

"How big are the Windows?"

Comment

SC: "I DON'T SEE WINDOWS!"
              Me: Have you checked your walls?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth IT Grunt View Post
                Their response: "Don't forget, I need Word, Excel and Powerpoint too!"
                I get that too and it drives me CRAZY!

On my computer upgrade form, I ask faculty and staff to list any programs that they use, and note that Office 2003 and Firefox will already be installed. I can't even count how many had Word, Powerpoint or Excel listed.

A DUH!

Jenni
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

.....................openoffice.org

Nuff said
                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Gah! This used to happen to me ALL THE TIME when I was in computer sales. People just don't get it.
                    And openoffice, while a wonderful piece of software, I would not even FATHOM trying to explain that to one of these people. You would get stuck in an endless loop of "So it's Microsoft Word? No? I need that? ...explain again... So it's Mircosoft Word?"
                    Loop

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      There was an update for 95 that included a splash screen upgrade to say "Windows 96", but that trend didn't seem to last.

Rapscallion
                      My brother did that with his, modifying the splash screen and wallpaper to say 'Windows 97'.

I think my favorite splash screen mod was one where the clouds were replaced with storm clouds, with flashing lightning. The Windows logo was filled with cracks and holes, and the title said "Cracked Windows 95." The smaller "with Plus!" logo had been modified to say "with Bugs!"
                      A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

There really was a Windows 97 Beta

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                        That one reminds me of my brother in law, back in 97 bragging to me how he had Windows 97 on his computer. I tried telling him that there was no such thing, it had to be 95 as 98 hadn't come out yet.
                        The company I work at has been on the Microsoft Developer Network for a long time. We have an old Windows 97 Beta CD with the attached NDA that we have kept around for no readily apparent reason.
                        Last edited by KuzcoLlama; 12-19-2006, 09:41 PM.
                        "The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents."
                        - Nathaniel Borenstein

Comment

Speaking of dumb Office incidents, I would get a lot of people calling in asking why it says their Office is expired.

When I told them their PCs came with a trial of Office and they need to buy the full version, half the time most of them would understand, others would bitch that they were misled at the store, that they were told the PC comes with everything they need, etc...

Yeah, like HP is going to bundle in a $400 software program with your $600 computer. Get real.

Comment

Yeah, then they end up calling you on the phone "OMG I HAVE AN IMPORTANT FINANCIAL REPORT THAT IS DUE, LIKE, TOMORROW AND OMG I HAVE NO OFFICE!!"

Ma'am I told you it was a trial...

At this point I cave and tell them about openoffice.

Comment

Yeah, but we are not able to tell them about OpenOffice or any other freeware "because what if it hoses their system when they download it." Translation: they don't want to cost the store we are affiliated with a sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X