This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was not fun

Last week was interesting. I work in a high Precision Machining Plant. We make parts for almost any industry you can think of.

At my company we can buy our own tools, most people do because QA (Quality Assurance) tools are used by every idiot that is gone withing 3 months. Case in point, QA was complaining how someone dropped a tool and did not tell them so it was out of calibration. On occasion, someone relatively new needs a tool I already own. It is checked out to the MACHINE (not the operator) and returned at the end of the jobs run (one day to six months).

Monday: I finish running a machine and take the measuring tools back to QA, including a Depth Micrometer (D-Mic). Normal stuff.

Tuesday: My supervisor comes to me to ask to see my tools and look in my tool box (Normally, I am big on the 4th amendment. But because it is on company property, I say yes. There is a time to be reasonable with requests.).

Sup: *Gilhelmi* the D-Mic from P1 (the name of the machine I was running on Monday) are missing. So I have to check with everyone on nights.
    Me: I cleaned up after that job. I took that tool back to QA, but I did not even think to open the box.
    Sup: OK, well if you think of anything let me know.

Thursday: I saw the HR person there, a bit unusual because it was almost 5PM and she leaves at 3:30 or so. She came over with my Supervisor to ask me what happened Monday.

HR: You are not in trouble. *PS: does anyone else find that phrase disconcerting?* We are trying to figure out what happened to the D-Mics on Monday.
    Me: I finished the job, Cleaned up, and took the box back to QA. I did not think to look in the box.
    HR: Did they feel lighter?
    Me: I honestly was not paying attention, I was in a hurry to finish and move on to my next job.
    HR: OK, you need to tell that to QA supervisor now.

Then we went to QA. QA super, HR person, MY super, and a person I did not know (more on that later). I repeated what happened. They thanked me and I went back to work.

Throughout this they did keep saying that they believed me and that I was not in trouble.

Then they called all of night shift together for a special staff meeting. Apparently, that man I did not know. He is the Vice President and Co-Owner of the company. He was out for the last three days so he had just found out about the missing tool. Asked us if anyone knew or saw anything (and reiterated that none of us were in trouble).

Apparently, on Thursday morning, the D-Mics mysteriously reappeared by a clock-in computer. So they think it was someone on day shift who thought (probably true) that they were about to be caught and left them there to be found.

Starting next week, tools will no longer be checked out too machines but to the operators and are to be returned at the end of the shift (instead of leaving them at the machine for days/weeks). It will be a slight pain in the neck (on the EXTREMELY rare occasion that I have to use QA's tools), but I think it is a good plan.

So I like where I work. I was not blamed and their response was reasonable without any overreaction in it.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

How sensible. I never liked sharing my tools, pro chef or inside/outside mechanic.

I gave mrAru my toolbox when I retired so he has a decent selection of goodies [he does QAI for an international company that does something with the cell antenna industry. I am only vaguely aware what it is. I know more about what he did as an a-ganger on a nuke sub than his current job.]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

A good 90% of "my" tools live in locked cabinets/boxes that only my bosses and backup can get into. The few that aren't locked up pertain to an machine I have to share with another tech (I use tools about ~30 hours a week, he uses em' maybe 1 hour a week) and I have to have them accessible since his use is far more random than mine. On the odd occasion a tool would vanish out of my box and I would have to go get it from him.

Last time he tried to wander off with one of them I told him "I would hate to have to cut the lock off your tool box or worse to get my tool back". It reappeared promptly and hasn't tried to walk since. I don't mind sharing but consarnit, don't take MY tools as your own.

Comment

Update:

They are 90% sure who tried to take the tool, but they can not yet prove it. (not my shift)

The company also implemented a new policy. Before, we could get back into the building withing 15 min of quitting time (to get something we forgot). Now our cards deactivate right at 0230. Only a minor pain though (a couple guys did not even know we could get back in before)

Comment

A shame they have to get more rigid, but it does sound like they took the most reasonable approach they could.

As far as "You're not in trouble..." - yeah, it is a little disconcerting. I already knew I didn't do it, but you saying that makes me think that I am/I was on a list of suspects and I don't care for that.

Sad though it is, I was actually framed for thefts once as a naive teen, so it can and does happen outside of television. People think it odd that I take considerable caution to not be in a position where I can be suspected, but the burned hand teaches best.

Comment

Many years ago, when I worked in an office environment, a PC wouldn't boot. Co-worker opened it up and looked inside - the memory was missing. He went to our supervisor (English was a second language for him), who needed to sign off on a requisition for new memory. He didn't understand why I objected to the wording for the reason the memory was needed, and why the wording I suggested had any significant difference.

His wording: Replacement for memory reported as stolen by Co-worker

My wording: Replacement for memory reported by Co-worker as stolen

I'm sure you guys can see why the wording is important.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A comma would do wonders in the first example.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                A shame they have to get more rigid, but it does sound like they took the most reasonable approach they could.

As far as "You're not in trouble..." - yeah, it is a little disconcerting. I already knew I didn't do it, but you saying that makes me think that I am/I was on a list of suspects and I don't care for that.

Sad though it is, I was actually framed for thefts once as a naive teen, so it can and does happen outside of television. People think it odd that I take considerable caution to not be in a position where I can be suspected, but the burned hand teaches best.
                And I thank the Lord many times, that most of the people I know are reasonable, logical people.

Comment

Working...
                X