X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light duty.....it sucks.

Ok typing out of boredom here.

November 13 I had my leg run into by a roll of paper ejected off of our wrap line (I call it the mangler after the old horror movie where the machine comes to life and kills people). It's "automated" so they could get rid of one worker on it. Cue numerous injuries .etc. faults bad junk all over. It's stupidly unsafe.

Anyways. Roll ran into my leg. 900 lbs. tore my ACL and PCL. Awaiting Surgery. Pains not so bad most of the time. No longer walking with my cane. But I'm now off the floor. In a tiny office reviewing safety training lists lol.

Good news is as a union executive member I get internet. Plus my boss got me a fancy new PC on which to "work" :P

Sigh. There are some things a computer shouldn't do. Safety without human oversight is one of them. Sorry you got hurt.

Comment

Ouch. I used to hang those rolls (and heavier--up to 66") on a printing press, and they build up some serious momentum, even going slow. I'm a big guy, and even I wouldn't get in front of one moving. I hope you get to healing quick.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Yeah. We don't do news print. But we do up to 56" diameter. Weights up to 155g paper tho. So those rolls can weigh up to 3-4 tonnes easily.

A few days ago a roll got kicked back out of a station while another one was heading forward almost squishing a guy. He jumped out of the way without injury. Needless to say were working very hard to get the second set of eyes back on that equipment (used to be a 2 man job. 1.3 million in new parts and programming to eliminate the one job). Now one guy is rushing around.

Comment

At least you're legit. I remember the tons on light duty for an ingrown toenail or first wrinkle around the eyes. We mostly sat for our jobs.

One guy tried for light duty because of high blood pressure. He quit a day after being denied.

Comment

Lol. I hate this job. Shoved aside in a hot little office looking at spreadsheets. Office worker I am not

Though at least nobody bugs me and I didn't have to call off sick cause I'm in my own little cubby. Might as well get paid to feel like crap

Comment

Working...
            X