This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um, that's against policy

So today I had a customer come up wanting to cash a $300.00 Money Order she had received from her dad in the mail. One problem, we don't cash Money Orders. Well, we kinda do. If the original purchaser wishes to return the Money Order and has both receipts then we cash it in order to give them their money back. But that's it, we only do returns. Company policy. It makes sense, we have no way of verifying money orders in our system, so cashing them is just too much risk.

Customer was getting frustrated because no one would cash it. Not even the bank she has an account with. Which is weird, I've never heard of a bank not taking a money order. That was a bit of a red flag for me. Not too mention the amount and that she has both receipts and wasn't the original purchaser. Yeah, not only was this against policy, there were just too many red flags.

I told her our policy, and that I couldn't cash it. She then went to the supervisor and one of the managers. Who then asked me about it, because they're not as familiar with it, and when I explained the policy and showed them where it says it in our toolkit they backed me up.

She left and I thought it was over. Nope. She had called the store her parents originally bought it from (another store with our company but in another district), and said the person at that store said I could cash it, and said I should call them and they'll explain it to me.

I proceeded to call the store and talked to a bookkeeper from the other store.

OtherStore: "You know you can cash it. She has both portions of the money order and the receipt right?"
    Me: "uh, yeah she does."
    OtherStore: "Then go ahead it's fine."
    Me: "Uh no, company policy says we don't cash money orders. We only take returns from the original purchaser. That's the policy we were told at those meetings a few months ago. This is from corporate."
    OtherStore:"Yeah. Well you can talk to you District Front End Manager or the um District Trainer if you want, but ours said we can do it.
    Me: "Yeah well, the people from CORPORATE at the meetings said no, we don't do this.
    OtherStore: "Your still not gonna cash it?"
    Me: "Uh, no. It's against policy. I'm not cashing this.
    OtherStore: "Alright are you the manager?"
    Me: "No I'm the Lead Bookkeeper"
    OtherStore: "Well let me talk to your manager."
    Me: "Ok"

once I transferred him to a manager (the original one had left by this point so now another one is involved) I then called my District Trainer (she's over the accountants) and told her what was going on.

DT: "Uh, yeah no. We can't cash that. We only do returns with the original purchaser. That's in your toolkit"
    Me: "yeah I know. The customer had me talk to the store it was originally bought from and the Bookkeeper there is trying to tell me it's ok. And he's making a bit of a fuss about it."
    DT: "What store?"
    Me: "XXX, over in [other DT]'s District."
    DT: "Yeah that's downtown. Yeah no we can't cash it."
    Me: "Well she's wanting to know where she can cash it, even the bank won't take it."
    DT: "What? The bank wouldn't deposit it?"
    Me: "No. I thought that was weird. The bank told her to cash it with us."
    DT: "That is weird, banks usually take money orders. If they wouldn't take it, somethings wrong."
    Me: "ok thanks!"
    DT: "No prob."

The customer gave up after that. The manager that took the call, then called me a little later wanting to know what was going on. I explained it to him, and he agreed it sounded fishy. And when I told him DT told me not to cash it he said "Well if DT backed you on this then I'm not worrying about it any further."

After I got off work I had to call DT about something else and the discussion got back to the money order.

DT: "Oh I called [other trainer]. She said she told her store to go ahead and take care of customers. I told her 'uh guys that against policy. You can't be doing that."
    Me: "Wow really. Yeah, the bookkeeper was telling me it was ok. But I'm not listening to a bookkeeper from another store. He told me I could call you if I wanted."
    DT: "Yeah no. I'm would never tell you to break policy."
    Me: "yeah that's what I thought."

(Um I think I might have gotten that other trainer in trouble....that happened....)

So glad management on every level back me up on this. IDK why a bookkeeper on the other side of Houston would think I would break policy because he said it was ok. Who does he think he is?

Maybe he's the guy in cahoots with the gal who tried to cash it and was looking forward to getting his cut? And he sent her to your store so the paper trail wouldn't lead straight to him when that money order turned out to be stolen? Just a thought.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I was actually thinking the same thing. Hence the red flags. It's entirely possible it was legit, but it's also possible for it to not. This is why the policy is in place. She could have stolen it for all I know.

Comment

And see I was thinking, that if another store says they'd cash it, then go to THEM to cash it. Just because another store will cash it doesn't mean you're going to.

Besides, you should be able to refuse anyone where you're suspicious of the transaction. Shame on the other bookkeeper for trying to force you.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Sounds like you went well above and beyond what was necessary to make sure the policy was followed correctly.

If someone gets into trouble over this, it's because they're not doing/teaching it correctly. Not your fault, not your problem.

Good service on your part: you checked when you need not have. Honestly, if a bank wouldn't accept it, I'd be doubly leery.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Banks typically won't *cash* money orders. You have to deposit them in your account and wait for them to clear. I'm guessing she didn't want to wait the week or so it takes for the funds to clear.

Comment

She probably didn't have enough money in her account to cash it. Good for you for sticking to your guns and YAY for your awesome district trainer for backing you up!

Comment

Also, there's a new scam where they buy the MO, "deposit" it in their bank with their smartphone app, then return it to the store they bought it from for cash.

Comment

I was just thinking how those apps could be used for unsavory purposes...
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

If the bank wouldn't take it, I bet it was a fake. Unfortunately we almost got burned a few years ago with two fake $800 money orders we got in the mail...figuring this might be "too good to be true" we had our bank check them over just to be sure. Sure enough they were fakes. Too bad we really could've used that $1600...

Comment

Working...
                    X