Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No show, no call! Since when did this become an acceptable way to quit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No show, no call! Since when did this become an acceptable way to quit?

Three times now in the past year this has happened to us.

Why?

Two were because we dared confront staff who were mouthing off in public, using their cell phones in front of guests, smoking in the rooms when we are a non-smoking hotel, taking off early whenever management isn't there as though "I told the front desk" or "I asked my fellow housekeeper if it's ok" were an acceptable answer (here's a clue... it isn't.... THEY aren't your managers and you were given a massive assignment last week to do that will take weeks to complete. It isn't fair to make your fellow housekeeper stay for 3 and a half hours more because you want to go home), running around complaining about how they're bored all the time (yeah, that's because you aren't doing your job properly. You're so concerned with leaving early that you're cutting corners and your shower curtains are turning pink), and more.

The third just didn't bother to show up for four days then suddenly showed up out of the blue thinking she still had her job.

And none of these people could be bothered to answer their phone or numerous text messages.

Then the really insane thing? One of them actually called later asking for references.

People... the professional thing to do is at least call and say you quit. Not answering your phone is just plain childish.

Not answering the phone or calling in themselves is the easiest way to quit, at least in their minds. It requires them to do absolutely nothing, which fits just fine with their work ethic.
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
      Then the really insane thing? One of them actually called later asking for references.
      Did they ask uncertainly 30 seconds into your laughing fit if that was a 'yes' laugh or a 'no' laugh?

Some people...

Comment

I quit this way once. Not on purpose. I was in the hospital with what I thought was bronchitis and used the last of my phone battery to text random people instead, because I was having a manic episode. They moved me to a mental hospital 45 minutes away, where I was not allowed to have my phone or call long distance (to the town where I had worked). When I got out, I went to pick up my paychecks and apologize for never calling.
        "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
        Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Back when I worked with Hell Bitch, we had...I think it was 18 walk outs in 12 months? Worst part was, every single person there understood why they just walked out, and no one (except Hell Bitch) blamed them for it. Having a 200% turnover rate in a year was just awful to deal with...
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I did this once. Not on purpose though. I had been hit by a car and was unconscious for over a week. I had to relearn how to walk and think beyond the most simple terms. Before my accident, my IQ was 127. It became 95 after the accident. Through a great deal of very hard work, it's back up to at least 125 but that took many years.

But I'd never do a no show no call on purpose. It's unprofessional and childish. Heck, even when I quit on my job before last (not counting current) I STILL called HR and told them why I was quitting, though I didn't call and tell my boss (because he was the reason).

Comment

I had one job where we could NS/NC 3 times a month per the union contract. If place wasn't staffed with escapees from a lunatic asylum I'd probably still be there (starting rate was $18 an hour to wash dishes. The cooks made around $60).

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
                I had one job where we could NS/NC 3 times a month per the union contract. If place wasn't staffed with escapees from a lunatic asylum I'd probably still be there (starting rate was $18 an hour to wash dishes. The cooks made around $60).
                Holy crap. I've never even remotely seen that amount of money. Not sure I could have left a place like that.

Comment

that's what i thought when i started but the personalities and sheer laziness of the "escapees" made being there rather hard. The easiest way i can describe the work environment is to take the most absolutely worst person you've ever worked with and clone em off 20-30 times. Then work for 48 hours a week in tight quarters with em. I lasted 3 months only because the money was so good for the work being done but i was sick of the madness and getting screwed over on the workload by the folks abusing the hell out of the contract (right before i left management was trying to fire someone who had done 4 ns/nc's that month. the union was fighting it).
                  Last edited by bbbr; 12-22-2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

If I had to work with the worst person I've ever worked with and times it by 20 or 30, I think they'd be lucky if I didn't flip out and grab a gun. Not sure I'd have even lasted three months before I quit.

Comment

That's always been the most acceptable way to go, when it comes to our temps at my work.

Every time we go into super busy mode and do hiring every week for months on end, it always seems the higher percentage of them disappear without telling anyone on their break or at the end of their shift, or just never show up again without an explanation.
                      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

You wouldn't believe how many people have done this at Random Craft Store! One of our former office people did that, we never did hear back from this person, and I'm not the only one who's still furious over it. Not because of the NC/NS, but because we were so worried over this person that it took a lot of investigating to find out what really happened a month later -- never did the decent thing to say, 'hey I'm quitting, so don't worry about me!'.

Even better, we've had at least one person walk right on out during their shift and never came back -- bonus points since it was during a season truck and this person left the front doors unlocked. At four in the morning.
                        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

OH! I just remembered a fun one...had a new employee when I was a security manager at a hotel NC/NS out of nowhere one week. We kept calling in case he was in the hospital or something, and he wouldn't ever respond, so after a while we just shrugged and moved on.

Well, he wasn't in the hospital, he was in jail. At his other job (as a bouncer), he had beaten the hell out of some drunk with an Asp (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._ASP_Baton.jpg) and had just made bail. We simply told him "yeah, uh, good luck with that" and cut our losses. He'd worked there for less than a month, and that was not a good sign.
                          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                          "What IS fun to fight through?"
                          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

One Christmasy season I was working late after my shift in the cooler and when I came out, the young deer in headlights cashier had a line wrapped around the checkout and down the main aisle. I angrily asked him where his CW was as I rushed into the checkout to slam-ring several people through. He responded innocently, "He sat down to take a break eating and then he said he was going outside to smoke a cigar." After killing the line I ran outside to find his car gone. Never seen again.

For a few months a running joke around midshift would occur when someone would say they were going to have a quick cigar.

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                              For a few months a running joke around midshift would occur when someone would say they were going to have a quick cigar.

Running joke at my place is "Hey, sms, can I bum a smoke?" to hint that the workload is too tough and they're gonna bail.
                              Reason? Co-irker had apparently decided to quit mid-shift one day. (Just the two of us in this particular area.) No word or sign to me. Break time approaches and I get the above line. Five, ten, fifteen minutes go by, no Coirk. Yeah, he needed that ciggy for while he was waiting for his ride to come pick him up.
                              So knowing that he was going to abandon a fellow worker to do double work, he still thought bumming from a guy he was screwing over and would never see again was okey-dokey fine.
                              There's some real winners in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X