Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No show, no call! Since when did this become an acceptable way to quit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sms001 View Post

So knowing that he was going to abandon a fellow worker to do double work, he still thought bumming from a guy he was screwing over and would never see again was okey-dokey fine.
    Oh that's just sick. I'm sorry. I'm angry for awhile for you.

Comment

My BOSS did that! She apparently had a meltdown, took time off, but then never bothered to show up again when she had said she would. Oh, but then suddenly we found (later the afternoon of that same day when we were all starting to get frantic about her whereabouts) that she had got a temporary position in another department at the same council. Ah, but then she left that for another job. All without a single word to any one of us. But she really couldn't understand why those she had left behind never wanted to have anything to do with her anymore, and couldn't we still be friends and exchange emails through the one colleague who kept in touch with her?

Yeah, that was majorly messed up. And no, I have no desire to speak to you again, thanks.
      "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
        My BOSS did that!
        Yeah, that was majorly messed up. And no, I have no desire to speak to you again, thanks.
        Oh now that's just horribly gross too! This thread is really starting to tick me off! Who are these people?

Comment

We had 3 cashiers not come back in one week. They were all called in to the office for excessive call ins and put on probation. And decided never to come back. Last Monday they demoted one of my three supervisors for excessive tardies, he showed up for one shift as a a cashier and hasn't been back since. This is perfect since supervisor 2 is leaving in the third week in January for a new store and the same week my primary supervisor is going on vacation. They have one replacement for 3 people. And she can't start for a few weeks. It is going to be a crazy January.

Comment

At the current job we had a pile of temps in to help push a massive project out the door. One day three of them decided that they "needed to go their lockers" and they were never seen again. 6 years later, its still the running joke on the shop floor whenever someone is having bad day ("Screw you all, I'm going to my locker").

Comment

Quoth bbbr View Post
              Screw you all, I'm going to my locker.
              Hey, while you're in there, can I bum a smoke? Meet you outside.

Comment

I seriously think there is just something wrong with some people. Even a state thats work at will has certain social taboos. I would never ever do that to a boss.

Comment

I have quit my current job 4 times. The first ime I gave 2 months notice, the second time a month, the third 2 weeks and the last time they talked me out of,it before a week had past. Currently looking for a new job but I will quit and not just leave everyone in suspense, considering,if I call in sick everyone assumes I am quitting.

Comment

I called in and quit a waitressing gig when I was 18, but I had a damn good reason and it involved a manager of a different culture who thought it was ok to throw a dish at me when I didn't answer my buzzer in time, among making me still until after midnight on school nights just because they could because I was 18.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

One of my co-workers might be getting fired for this. He was told he'd get laid off in January--they had enough to keep him working through December.

Well, not even a week into December, he called in sick two days, then didn't show up the third. Then we got his unemployment paperwork, claiming we'd laid him off. My father gave him the unemployment, but is still pretty pissed about the whole thing.

If he gets fired I won't miss him. Unless he's drunk he's an asshole. (I once saw him walking back to the marina, and offered him a ride, only to get an incredulous "why? I'm just going to the marina!" Well, fuck you too.)

Comment

I really can't wrap my head around the US stores' policies for NSNC's.

Over here, where most jobs are unionized, one single NSNC = immediate termination and no right to unemployment benefits (at least for the first 3 weeks of unemployment). Of course, the termination can be cancelled if it later turns out that, say, the employee got in an accident on the way to work and was in the ER for some time, unable to call work/family/friends and tell what's going on.
                        A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

To tell you the truth, the "No Show, No Call, No Job" thing was a policy back in the mid 1990's when I was working in Food Service, so I know it's been around a while.

Of course, it's only as effective as it's enforcement. We had several people (and occasionally the same person multiple times) who would "No Show, No Call", and then come in the next day and give some kind of sob story so that they could keep their job. Either that, or the manager would "overlook" it so that they wouldn't be short-handed that shift.

As to why people do it? Don't know. Could be any number of reasons. The psychology of people is often complex, and their reasons varied.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth NorthernZel View Post
                            I really can't wrap my head around the US stores' policies for NSNC's.

Over here, where most jobs are unionized, one single NSNC = immediate termination and no right to unemployment benefits (at least for the first 3 weeks of unemployment). Of course, the termination can be cancelled if it later turns out that, say, the employee got in an accident on the way to work and was in the ER for some time, unable to call work/family/friends and tell what's going on.
                            Of course, there are probably also more regulations to prevent employers from doing things like changing the schedule without notifying anybody, so that somebody they want to fire misses a shift.

My guess, at least with my employer, is that they want to put up a front of being accommodating and recognizing that sometimes shit happens. I think it would be extreme to fire somebody just because they forgot they were working one day--I've done that.

What I'd like to see is more attention being paid to attendance patterns. If somebody's missing one shift here, two there, another shift the next week, all without telling anybody, they should be nudged out the door faster instead of being allowed to keep their jobs because they didn't NCNS three shifts in a row. This is probably a big part of the reason why our probationary period is now 120 days instead of 90.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I 'passive-quit' a job once. And yeah, on purpose. I was actually on my way to work, waiting for the bus, when I realized that just the thought of even ONE more day in that shithole was making me nauseous. Shitty pay, ridiculous conditions, vile coworkers, and management that was all too happy to look the other way rather than deal with even the most minor of problems. The place was corkscrewing into hell anyway. It wasn't worth my time, or the quarter for the pay phone, to call and quit. I started another job that very afternoon.

Comment

When I was working in the underwear and sex toy shop, we knew a person would last if they stayed through lunch the first day and turned up for work on day 2. It was quite surprising how many people vanished during their first day's lunch break without a word to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X