This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing the buck...er, not.

Where I work we put notifications on cars in the employee lot not displaying parking permits or parked in an unacceptable spot; like visitor parking or handicap without a permit.

One notification is to ask employees to remember to display their permit, or if they haven't registered their car, do it asap. The other notification tells employees they are parked in the wrong spot and why it's important to leave those spots clear.

There are 2-buildings on the property. Recently, an employee has started driving from the back side of one building to the front of the other, where the larger cafeteria is; every other employee just walks up from one building, across the lot and into the other - this guy is taking lazy to a new level! He parks his car in either handicap or visitor parking; it's only for an hour or so, but not acceptable. He's been given notifications for both offenses half a dozen times; I expect HR will be having a chat with him soon.

Today another employee who DOES have a handicap permit asked why he got a notification on his car. I only gave out one notification today and it was on the repeat offender's vehicle. I checked video and saw the offending employee walk out to his car, take the notification off, turn around and stick it on the windshield of the car next to him!

Oh yes, we will have words...
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Is there a penalty for this sort of thing?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Probably just a talking to with HR; it's a policy that started in the last 8 months or so, and the guy's never been a problem until now. I think he probably figures 'it's no big deal' and that there won't be any consequences.
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

By putting it on someone else's car, I think he may be starting shit though... :P
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Do the notifications have fields to write in the make (and possibly model), colour, and license number of the car to which they are issued? That way, the employee with the permit (drives a red Honda Civic, license ABC 123) asks why he got a notification. Turns out the info on the notification is for a blue Toyota Camry, license DEF 456 - repeat offender's car. You wouldn't need the video to show that the notification had been moved to another car.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Do the notifications have fields to write in
            Heck, don't even need the fields, just scribble and initial; good idea.

Lill, good luck. I got a funny feeling that "never been a problem" or not, this guy's gonna go EW.

Comment

The notifications are generic, a touchy-feely 'please don't do that' as checking the cars isn't a number-1 priority. But I have started jotting the license plate number down on the paper; that was a good call! Every time a notification is handed out, it also is recorded in the computer, so we can see how many times Jane Doe parked her yellow VW Bug in the visitor parking in april, may and june

Oh, apparently repeat offender complained to my coworker that he got permission from HR person Mr. X to park in visitor parking. We talked to Mr. X...Whoops, he didn't know a thing about it (if he had given permission, he would have told us to leave the car alone) and in any case it doesn't excuse the offender from parking in a handicap space.

Repeat offender looked pissed-off when he parked in a regular spot today

With the nature of this company, a good attitude and good relationship with your coworkers is a must, so this guy is almost setting himself up to be canned. I've seen people fired for less.

Comment

I'm suprised Mr. X let this slide, telling somebody that I gave you permission to disobey the rules when I didn't gets you in my sights _fast_!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  Probably just a talking to with HR; it's a policy that started in the last 8 months or so, and the guy's never been a problem until now. I think he probably figures 'it's no big deal' and that there won't be any consequences.
                  And this is why I have a job. Some people, no matter how many warnings and "please don't" verbals you give them just don't see the big problem with being a douche.

After all, It's not like they're hurting THEMSELVES.

So you have to make it so they DO hurt themselves, in the wallet, when the car goes bye-bye and you need $115 to get it back.

They STILL don't see what the problem is, naturally. But they'll at least stop doing it because they value that $115 more than common courtesy.

Can't tell you how many cars I've towed away for illegal parking that have interiors STUFFED full of parking tickets from OTHER lots they've been chased out of.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

This reminds me of something I read a long time ago in THE WASHINGTON POST.

The way it worked was somebody parked illegally - in a fire zone, broken meter, etc. Then they looked around for a car that had already been ticketed. They took the ticket and stuck it under their wiper. When the parking police came by they saw the ticket and didn't bother the illegally parked car. When the person returned they threw the stolen ticket away. The poor jerk who got the original ticket never saw it and only found out about it when they didn't pay it and then failed to show up in court. At that point the fines at least doubled. I believe the article said that one car got a ticket which was stolen and they got a second ticket which was _also_ stolen. And naturally neither was paid...

I think the jurisdiction made some changes to try and stop this, at least I didn't hear about it happening again.

Comment

Working...
                    X