This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview shenanigans

I should really video my job interviews and then sell them to Comedy Central. The following are actual questions and responses from my interview today.

"What drives you to do your best at work?"
    "The satisfaction of a job well done and having a positive impact. And coffee."

"Do you prefer to work on your own or with others?"
    "Depends on the others."

"When do you find communication to be difficult?"
    "Um, I tend to be non-confrontational, so if there's a situation... uh ... I find it stressful if I have to... have confrontations. And apparently in job interviews, because I can't nail down a sentence right now to save my own life."

"What are three words that describe you?"
    *silence*
    "This is the part where you answer the question."
    "Yes, I'm sorry, I'm trying to think. I hate this question, although thank you for giving me three and not just one, because that really sucks. I guess I'd have to go with compassionate, helpful, and loyal. Yeah, loyal. Because if staying with a job that you hate for six years isn't loyalty, I don't know what is."

"Why should we hire you?"
    "Because if you don't, who will? I have five cats to feed!"

Surprisingly enough, I think it went rather well. The interviewer laughed a lot and really seemed to like me. I honestly wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything, stuff just kept falling out of my mouth. I must have left my BTMF at home. Good thing the guy had a sense of humor!
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Check out Retail Comic this week-it's interview time.Bring on the parade of the bedraggled specimens of humanity that make you scream 'Run.If you value your sanity,NEVER employ this person'
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
      "What drives you to do your best at work?"
      I like that one!

Who knows, your sense of humor might have landed you the job. Best of luck!
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Thank you! I hope so.

I just read my original post again, and it kinda sounds like I'm saying, "Aren't my jokes (that I told on purpose) funny?" And that wasn't my point at all. What I find hilarious is the situation itself, that I was so nervous and really wanted to get this job, but the first thing that popped into my head kept falling out of my mouth. I told my husband that if I had been an observer in the room, I would have been laughing my ass off, but since I really wanted the job, it was slightly less funny.
        "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

You sound like fun

Comment

Having been on a number of interview committees myself, I say that your answers were great! They weren't the boring, canned answers that everybody gives because that's what they thing we want to hear. They were honest and showed your real personality, and that's important when evaluating if somebody is a good fit for a particular work environment. They also showed you can think on your feet, even when you're nervous, and that's a very, very good quality to have.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Thanks!

I just realized that the correct answer to the last one is, "Because I make bacon chocolate chip cookies!"

Comment

Thanks!

I just realized that the correct answer to the last one is, "Because I make bacon chocolate chip cookies!"
                Remember that one just in case you need to use it again.

I think my all time favorite response of my own, when interviewing for a job was in answer to the question "What fictional character are you most like?"

I didn't even stop to think. The words just spilled out of my mouth before I realized what I said. My response was "Mary Poppins. Practically perfect in every way."

I got the job, if that counts for anything.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

That is awesome! I will have to remember that, mathnerd.

Comment

"Do you prefer to work on your own or with others?"
                    "Depends on the others."
                    I love this one!
                    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

"Depends on the others."
                      Irv and "Another Damn Senior Day"
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I liked the third one. I'm the same way. Being introverted and having stage fright during interviews makes for fun time for me.

<. <
                        >.>
                        O.o
                        I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

Can you start tomorrow?
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Holy crap, I got the job! I even managed to negotiate a higher starting rate because of my experience in the industry. I start training on the 31st. I'll miss my lazy days, but it will be wonderful getting paychecks again!

Comment

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X