This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated with my new job.

So I have a new job working for a company that basically does telemarketing for the company with the largest 4G network in the US. We call current customers and offer them promotions and try to sell them phones and plan migrations. I've only had this job for 6 weeks and i'm already so frustrated. The only reason I haven't quit yet is because its full time and has benefits.

Anyone in this kind of business? And do you have any suggestions for dealing with customers who dont want you calling them?

and mods sorry if this is the wrong section

Comment

Firstly, general work chat (or possibly the advice subforum in GWC) is appropriate for this.

Secondly, see the nifty 'report' button on the top right of every post? You can report your own post to ask such questions. We don't mind!
      Report is not just for Nasty Stuff (tm); it's for any time you have a question about a post or a thread.

As for your actual problem: be polite. Be brief, if they don't have any interest in what you're offering.

Don't try to push: we once had a call from a person who was offering to put us on a lower data plan than we then had, to 'save us money'.
      Now, my family is three geeks. We're on a higher data plan (grandfathered in) than our network provider currently offers. We want to keep it. This guy was so damn pushy that I felt like he didn't want to hear me.
      Don't be that guy.

Other than that: create a persona. That persona is your Chirpy Helpful Customer Service Persona. It's a shell you wear that is a representation of the Company.
      Any aggravation customers throw at you belongs to the Company; so it's paint and eggs and other washable stuff that lands on the Persona-shell. End of the day, you take the shell off, wash the gunk off it, and store it in your locker at the Company.
      Start of the new day, you clock in (go to the imaginary locker), and put the Persona-shell on.

Sometimes there's so much paint and gunk on the Shell that you need to go wash it off (and maybe have a cry) in the middle of the day. Other days, you'll end up with it pretty much clean.
      And sometimes nice customers will help get it clean for you. (IE, being nice and friendly and treating you as a human being.)

This is only one method of dealing with the crap humanity can throw at each other. But it might work for you. Other people may well offer other methods.

This one has the disadvantage that if you develop a crack in the 'shell', you've not toughened up the person behind it. But it has the advantage of being relatively easier than most of the toughening-the-person methods.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

There is no way to 'deal' with customers who don't want you to call them, that's the job. There are many ways to not upset yourself about it, so it won't affect you at the end of the day. Do you believe in the products and services you are selling? Are you genuinely trying to help customers get a better deal, better product, save money in the long run? Then understand that their frustration is not at you, klhanson, but at the fact that their phone rings several times a day with unwanted calls. In other words, it's not your fault, so you don't need to take home any guilt about a customers upset. At least you can hold your head up knowing that you are trying to help the people you are calling.

Or, if you really believe the products or services you are trying to sell are crap, then you are either going to have accept it, and harden yourself up considerably, or you are going to go nuts and quit.
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I totally agree with Seshat, but I would also advise you to be looking for another job. Then hopefully you can transition to something less stressful before you reach the point where you can't take your current job anymore.
          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

thanks for all the advice guys.. its getting a little easier day by day.. I do believe in the products and i do truly feel like i'm trying to help people most of the time.. but then sometimes i feel like i'm being forced to be pushy.. we have to handle an objection once before we can drop it.. and a lot of the customers are older and i dont like pitching certain things to people that tell me that they can't afford it but i'm required to anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X