This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
    Works the same way for changeover or when staff goes on lunch/break. It could be 2:00, 3:00, 5:00--as soon as there's a missing cashier all hell breaks loose. It's definitely a conspiracy.
    This is SO true! Never fails that the very second the other worker goes on lunch or leaves for the day. It could be dead...tumbleweeds and all. Co-worker clocks out and all of a sudden I have a line 10 deep, 5 people wanting curtains (that I have to get for them) 3 people wanting a catalog order, and the phone is ringing off the wall.

The second co-worker comes back from lunch? Back to the tumble weeds, that is till *I* go to lunch.

Comment

I'm told that this past Sunday, from 6 pm to closing, the service desk people saw 8, maybe even 10 different people in the store. It was that dead.

But yet they had to wait 5 minutes after close for an elderly couple who came strolling in 5 minutes before close to buy curtains.

Now seriously, who the hell goes shopping for curtains that late at night?
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        Now seriously, who the hell goes shopping for curtains that late at night?
        Idiots, morons, jerks, and every other kind of sucky customer imaginable.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I hate it when people come in five to close and want to buy a large appliance or large electronics. You really got get there a little earlier for a serious purchase like that. Not only are you keeping the salesperson over, you are keeping pick up people over (if they want to take their appliance home that day), security and all of management.

I don't think the store has ever turned a person away because we ARE still opened, but it's just so strange how many people come in at 8:55 to buy a washer, a dryer, a large television, etc. Who thinks at 8:55 "Hm, I really need a washer! Right now! Even though they are closing in five minutes!"

It's just strange.

Comment

Ugh, this never fails. I can stand there watching people walk by me all day long but the minute I turn around to stock the beer cooler, or count some of my $20's to make bank, I inevitably get people desperately needing beer. And it seems like they manage to space themselves out just enough to prevent me getting any side work done. It is so frustrating. I think I deserve an Academy Award for hiding my irritation and acting like I am thrilled to serve them.

At my old job, we usually ate lunch at the counter during slow periods. There was no where else to go and we usually did not have the extra staff to spare for proper lunch breaks. Once again it never failed that the second our food came out, someone appeared wanting to be helped or to have their order rung up. What made it even worse is they would usually giggle and half-ass apologize like it was soooo funny that we should expect a lunch. "Oooohhh, tee-hee, I see you're trying to eat. I'm sooo sorry. (giggle) Now, I need you to go upstairs and get these things I want and wrap them each individually in tissue paper so they don't get broken and then blah blah blah..."

Comment

I got a few stories here....

First is when I worked at a computer store and we closed at 9. A customer would come in 5 minutes before we close. And what do they want to buy? A computer! From my experience, it takes a customer 30-45 minutes to decide what computer they want and all the extra stuff to go with it. I did not liek this at all because I was the closing cashier most of the time, and I would have to wait for them to finish shopping before I could close down my register. And my managers absolutely forbid me to do any other of my closing duties before I closed my register!

Second is when I worked at the movies. Try working a closing shift on Friday or Saturday night. You got one of those 3 1/2 hour movies that gets out around 3 am or so. Everyone in a theatre that holds about 500 people or more get up and leave.... except for 2! No, these morons have to watch the credits until the very end! And then to top things off, they take their sweet time leaving the theatre, and then of course they have to go to the bathroom!

When we had Star Wars Episode 1 come out, a few people stayed until the very end of the credits. Why? So the idiots could hear Darth Vader breathe! Please! If you want to hear Darth Vader breathe so badly, then go home and watch Episodes 4, 5, and 6!

The third story I like a lot and happened last week. My manager was extremely upset about a customer who somehow managed to get in the door when we locked it (don't ask how this happened, it just did). He was practically threatening to throw the customer out of the store. I don't know about any of my other managers, but I've never seen a manager so anxious to get the store closed and go home. My other managers I worked with would have kissed the customer's ***.

Comment

Quoth justZu View Post
                At my old job, we usually ate lunch at the counter during slow periods. There was no where else to go and we usually did not have the extra staff to spare for proper lunch breaks. Once again it never failed that the second our food came out, someone appeared wanting to be helped
                Absolutely. This used to happen when I was an antiques dealer. It could be the deadliest dud of an antiques show, NOBODY there, a total unpopulated wasteland, and we'd say, "Oh, hell - may as well get some lunch to pass the time."

The minute you brought a messy pork barbecue-on-bun back to your booth and bit into the first drippy mouthful would be the precise moment a very promising customer suddenly materialized, catching you in an awkward moment but still requiring all your focus, plus your clean hands and your ungarlicky breath.

Here's the proven formula:

The messier/smellier the food (grease, tomato sauce, garlic, sauerkraut, etc.), the more important/elegant the customer, AND the more likely that said customer will want to be shown fragile, delicate antique paper or textile items, as opposed to rough primitive furniture or cast iron accessories.

<eye roll>

R.A.

Comment

I did have a part time job at a merry go round in the mall. It was a fairly easy job, but you were expected to work alone on weekdays until the next person comes to take your place at the end of your shift.
                  Basically to go on lunch, I would have to lock up the ticket booth, turn off the lights, and quickly go to get something to eat. In order to do this, I have to make sure no customers are coming, and then get something to eat. The ride was right in the middle of the food court, so it took very little time.
                  I used to eat right there in the food court, so I could see if any customers came. Sure enough, they did come with their kids wanting a ride. Of course, I ignore them and continue on my break. Let them read the sign.
                  One time, lo and behold, just as I was about to walk away, a father with his kid comes up, wanting a ride. Again remember that I work alone.

Father: Excuse me, can we get a ride?
                  Me: Yes, sir. I'll be back around this time.
                  I point to the sign that says, "I will return at XXX time".
                  Father: Can't we get a ride now?
                  Me: I'm sorry about that, sir. I was just going to get something to eat. I'll be back shortly.
                  Father: Well, my kid's not going to understand that.
                  At this point I get slightly irritated.
                  Me: Sorry, sir. If you'll just come back in a half hour, I'll be more than happy to give your son a ride.
                  Father: Never mind. Forget it.
                  Me: (sarcastically) Have a nice day.

You can call this rude customer service if you want, but with me being the only person working the place, what else can I do? If I were to open it back up for his kid to take a ride, more people would come, and it becomes harder for me to close the place so I can get something to eat. Plus I think this guy needs to teach his son a little patience. I know they're just kids, but they've got to learn it at some point.
                  When I told my best friend about this, he asked me, "Why don't you just bring your food into the booth?" Simple, because its a very small booth and not much room. Plus, when I am on a break, I don't want to be disturbed, and I deserve an uninterrupted break just as much as anyone else. I'd never get to finish my food because every little kid that passes by the place just has to have a dam ride! Then my food would get cold.

Comment

I work alone quite frequently, and my store is a busy location. So, I rarely get time away from the register. I've learned to take quick snacks from home that I can wolf down between customers rather than actual meals. I also tend to avoid finger foods while working since I have to handle money and people are nasty. I wash and sanitize my hands before I eat while at work, but sometimes I spend more time doing that between customers than a meal would be worth.

Our area manager is one of those idiots who thinks were supposed to be ready and waiting at the register if a customer is in the store, but I rarely stay chained to the register any longer than necessary. If a customer is shopping and doesn't appear to need my help, I go do whatever else I need to do rather than just standing there waiting for them to approach the register. I figure it's not going to hurt them to wait a moment while I get there, and most of them understand that I have other things to do besides wait on customers.

If I've done everything on my duty roster, or have decided to take a break from chores, I'll usually stand at the back counter and tally up receipts so I don't take so long doing paperwork at shift end. I can still see the customers on the floor and they can see me from the back counter. Basically, as long as the store looks fairly clean and orderly, my manager doesn't care what we do between customers, but I make a genuine effort to be productive most of the time. If I'm caught up on everything I feel needs attention, then I'll stand at the back counter and skim through the newspapers or work through the puzzlebook I carry with me for those random moments of waiting in boredom.
                    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I had couple of customers say "Well! I guess they don't want our business!" after I tell them that the store was closed. And one guy who was pointing at stuff through the window 'how much is that? and that one there?" Dude, come back when we're open!

Comment

My favorite was people asking me questions as I'm in the middle of counting out my cash drawer. I mean, it can't get more obvious, I'm standing there with my hands full of pennies...and of course, asking them to wait just a minute makes me RUDE.

Since I worked by myself I had to lock the door if I needed to use the bathroom. It was not uncommon for me to have to suffer an 8+ hour shift without even getting a chance to pee. So when the miraculous did actually happen, every time I got into the back, I'd hear banging and shouting at the door outside. I always hung a sign on the door that said "back in 3 minutes!", (it never even takes me that long) exactly at eye level for most people, and nice bright noticeable fluorescent colors even! Nope, nobody ever saw that sign. I'd always be confronted with "Why was the door locked?! You guys are supposed to be open 24 hours!" Um, sorry but I have a bladder, just like you....

Comment

See my motto for the logic:
                          SC Motto "I am more important than you and others and don't you ever forget it"

Comment

Working...
                          X