This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Proudest Moment.

Back in my news paper reporter days the thing I hated covering the most was a ribbon cutting ceremony. Basically you have the store owner, mayor, some guy from the chamber of commerce, and a few others gathered around having brownies and punch while celebrating money. if you've seen one you've seen them all.

So on this fateful day I had not one, not two, but three frickin ribbon cuttings that day. The first two were beauty salons within 3 miles of each other. The owner's in both establishments were very friendly, took time out of the ribbon cutting to answer my questions and let me snap a picture and I got out of thier hair.

So then I had to go about 20 miles over to what I'll call Crazytown to cover the opening of a medical supply store. Now Crazytown is very small and the opening of a new store is big deal, so the Mayor is there with the police chief and fire chief along with the business owners. And here's where things start to go bad.

The mayor wants a picture of all five people, all of which are African-American, in front of the store. Under the store's awning. I dont' know if you've ever tried to take pictures of black people who are standing in front of a dark building while they're standing in a shadow, but it's not exactly easy. Neither me, or the two professionally trained photographers could get a decent picture.

Later, I'm trying to get a interview with the business owners but they're too busy hob knobbing with the wealthy and powerful of the poorest town in rural North Carolina. That's saying something. I get the basic information, names, what their business offers then I go home and write the piece.

So it ends up with the two beauty salons, the folks that took time to provide me with answers to my questions, taking up the bulk of the piece while there's about 2 paragraphs about the medical supply place.

So the next day I get the phone call.
    ME= Me
    DB= Drunken Bitch

ME:Thank you for calling [Newspaper] this is Danjo, How may I help you?
    DB: Yooooou Son of a bitch!
    ME: Pardon?
    DB: How dare you disrepect me!?
    ME: Uh...You're going to have to be more specific.
    DB: You wasted all that space on F-ing beauty salons! But None on our medical store!
    ME: Uh huh...(Flips to the article)
    DB: You Racist son of a bitch!
    ME: Ma'am I'm not racist, if you'll look at the other pictures in the article you'll notice that they're clearly black as well...
    DB: I've already called your manager, you are so fired. *Cackles madly and hangs up*

So I head to my editor's office,

ME: I just got a weird phone call. (i describe it)
    ED: Yeah she called me earlier, I told her about the trouble you had and if she wants better coverage she should be nicer to the press.
    ME: Go with your bad self. So I'm not fired?
    ED: Not today.
    ME: Sooooo that I can really piss off store owners eh?
    ED: You didn't piss off the store owner.
    ME: Then who the hell was that?
    ED: That was the mayor of [crazytown] she has a bit of a drinking problem.

And that is the long rambling story of how I pissed off a mayor. The proudest moment of my life.
    "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Quoth Danjo View Post
    And that is the long rambling story of how I pissed off a mayor. The proudest moment of my life.
    Hehe. It would be sweet at the next election, if you were to cover some political thing she was holding.

"So, mayor, You called up and failed to get me fired back in <month>. What reasons can you give me for voting for you now?"

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Good work.
      Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
        Hehe. It would be sweet at the next election, if you were to cover some political thing she was holding.

"So, mayor, You called up and failed to get me fired back in <month>. What reasons can you give me for voting for you now?"

Eric the Grey
        Oh man, that would be perfect! Think he would have: or after that comment?
        Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
        --Unknown

Comment

I had long since quit by then. I don't know if you've ever been a minimum wage reporter but it's not fun. Imagine retail, without the selling, and instead of the SC's coming to you you have to go to thier homes.

Seriously you think the crazy old lady is bad in the store, you should try being in her house.

Comment

Quoth Danjo View Post
            ME: Go with your bad self. So I'm not fired?
            ED: Not today.
            Your editor seems snazzy.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              Your editor seems snazzy.
              She was, sadly she passed away 6 years ago. She was a hoot to talk to and would defend you tooth and nail even if you didn't deserve it.

Comment

ooo, smooth.
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                X