This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leave the family drama out!

Ah to be an injured cashier at Sam's Club can be a glorius thing. There's only two jobs they can give you to do other than medical leave. I had hurt my wrist at work there and if they didn't have me up in the cash office answering the phones and directing the calls I was working the door. This means I was the door greeter. So it's a pretty easy job. Stand at the entrance door, look at the cards and say "hello", hand a cart to the people. It's such a stimulating job. Well, this particular day it was. I was actually starting to feel like my wrist was doing much better so I was paying a bit more attention to the cards I was being shown. So say a person was showing their Kroger card, I'd politely say, "Sir?ma'am, may I please see your Sam's Club card? You showed me your Kroger card." 8 out of 10 times no problem it was a mistake blah blah blah. Well, I am supposed to ask every customer for their card even if I know thay have one. basically to make sure that if they forgot it or whatever they can go to member services for a temp card. Unfortunately, my exboyfriend's (Corey) aunt comes in. Even when I'm on the register she'll come through my line just to give me hell. Well, i wasn't going to make an exception for her, i had to ask to see her card. So I was very polite and said, "Ma'am,"- almost choked calling her something other than bitch- "may I please see your membership card?" I knew already wether or not I asked she would find some reason to turn in a complaint on me so i figure make it a reason that my managers couldn't get mad at me for not doing my job. Well, she goes into a tirade about how I did Corey wrong and he's the bnest thing that could ever happen to me. She even brought up when he and i had gotten into an argument at her house for some get together and he had tried to end the argument by slapping me. The woman said I got what I deserved and
    "should have been hit a few more times than just the one slap". o.0 there were other members trying to get around this woman and some just walked out. The whole time I'm just standing there ignoring her for the most part and letting as many others as i can go in so they can get on with their day. She finally shows me her card and goes on with her business. My boyfreind Robbie works out in the carts and he brought a row in and I waved him up to me. I told him about the incident and he thought it was Corey's other aunt. i told him if he was in the cart bay when she left i'd point her out to him. Well, an hour later she comes out the exit door. i was already over by the wall talking to Robbie and quietly point her out. He says, "Oh her?" She was watching the two of us like hawk about to dive after an injured squirrel. I guess the fact that I turned and looked towards the exit door was a threat to her or something. She turned around as fast as she could and went to Mr. Walker, the exit door greet and receipe checker and called for a manager. M. Cindy comes out and asks her waht seems to be the problem and everything. I only heard that part and saw a lot of point at me and Robbie and the other cart attendant who had absolutely nothing to do with it and the. After a few minutes of this my manager walks her out to her car. She comes back in and calls Robbie over to work the door for a few while me and her had some "girl talk". The conversation went like this:
    MC: "Amanda, what's this I hear about you being rude to her when she came in?"
    Me: "Ma'am all i did was ask her for her membership card. She then went on a rant about how I did her nephew wrong when I broke up with him."\
    MC: "Well she left that part out." No, you don't say. "So why is she so mad about that anyway?"
    Me: "Because I was his longest relationship and she's just a bitch anyway. I knwo that's not the correct way to talk about our members but I honestly cannot say anything nice about that woman,. She's not even a good cook."
    MC: "Oh, well,...I can't let you use that language again so try to be a little less brash. She also said that she heard you teling Robbie and Josh that she was the one you wanted jumped out in the parking lot."
    At this point I couldn't help but luagh. and not the "oh, haha" type the full out laughing so hard you can't breathe and have tears coming out. I know my manager thought i was crazy before but i think this is what sealed it with her to not like me from that moment on.
    Me: "The broad wishes someone would jump her! Look, I told Robbie how she had stood at the entrance door cussing me out and yelling at me making it harder or impossible for other members to get through the door and he wante to know if it was the aunt he knew. I told him no it was this one and that I would try to point her out if he was here when she left. I did so and said absolutely nothing about him going out there with her. Josh wasn't even near us so i don't know why she brought him into the mix. She gives me crap even when she comes through my line. I always try to be as polite to her as i am to anyone else even though I personally feel she doesn't deserve a nice helping of dog feces in her face. She's just a mean old woman."
    MC: "Well I figured that's all that happened. If you see her from now on heading towards your register, call one of the COSs over to do the transaction or just shut your register down so she has to go else where."
    Me: "I've tried that already. i got yelled at for closing myself off..."
    MC: "Oh, well then just call a COS over."

I later found out she ahd a conversation with Robbie and Josh. Robbie told her the same exact thing I had and gave her a little more history on the woman and her family. Josh on the other hand was so confused abou what happened and why he was a part of it he was completely excused. The complaints turned in on all 3 of us that day were thrown aside as unwarranted and we were all given the sound advice of don't talk about the members in a suspicous way. O.O Wow...what great advice. Now whenever anyone from his family comes into work they make it a point to go through the lines either infront or behind me and make comments about me. The other cashiers are so clueless that they ask me after they leave what that was all about. i just tell them they were would-be in-laws that are mad they won't be able to mooch off me. I don't think that helps clear it up for them but now they ignore it. I'm thinking i should try to get their memberships revoked...
    See you kids in the stars...

I started to make a comment about rabid animals, then realized I didn't want to be kicked off the boards. So, I'll leave it at that.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

2 words:

restraining order.

Sooooo....how big of a loser is this ex-boyfriend that the whole family is mad that you broke up?

He must be a loser, because apparently you were their last, best hope.
      Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post
        Sooooo....how big of a loser is this ex-boyfriend that the whole family is mad that you broke up?
        Let's see if I read the OP correctly. She left because he was abusive. Slapping her around? Yeah, he's a great catch. *rolls eyes*
        Last edited by Imogene; 02-11-2008, 08:46 PM. Reason: Smily didn't work
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I like

I like the fact that your manager checked with your other co-workers instead of just taking the customer on their word. Josh confusion ('Hun, what are you talking about?') would had sealed the deal that the customer was lying. It it will not take long for the rest of your co-workers to clue in too.

At this rate soon, nothing she complains about will be viewed as valid. I always surprises me to note that some people do not realize that lying all the just make people consider you as a liar.

Personally, I almost never lie, hitting people with the raw truth is too much fun.

But a side-result is that the few times I have told a lie everyone just believes me.

Comment

As difficult as it may be, keep up the false civility while in public. In a store setting there are generally many witnesses and therefore it is easier to back up your story. But only so long as you take the high road. Makes them look that much worse (though I'm starting to wonder how THAT would be possible)
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Just do your job, ignore them. Sounds like it's an entire family of losers.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

If I could...paragraphs are your friend. Please. Pleeeeease.
                Random conversation:
                Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

for auntie dearest: 'never cry wolf.'

ahh, the abusive boyfriend, always a catch.

bainsidhe gets a second; keep up the civil act, for more than just the backup part.
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Yes, definitely call over a manager if she so much as goes near your line. Calmly explain the repeated problems you keep having with this person, and make it clear that you want to avoid adding to the problems. If you have decent managers, she may find herself banned from the property just for talking trash about you to coworkers while you're just trying to do your job. I've seen it happen that way before.
                    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

should have been hit a few more times than just the one slap".
                      shit like that should get her kicked out permenantly. it's too bad you didn't tell them about that part.

i shouldn't say this but... i'm a firm believer that.... you don't wish shit like that on someone unless you want karma to swing around and give it right back at you. and frankly any woman who thinks that slapping someone to end an argument is good...should at least know what it's like to go through it before they open their pie-holes and barf out stupidity.

and... then there's the x.
                      all i can say is... a real man doesn't need to hit to win an argument - and if that's all he can come up with then it's not much of a win.
                      real men are rough only when their women tell them to be. ()

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        Let's see if I read the OP correctly. She left because he was abusive. Slapping her around? Yeah, he's a great catch. *rolls eyes*
                        Sounds like it runs in the family, too...good for you getting out of that!
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

yea, it was a whole family of losers....thankfully that wonderful woman who was so kind as to create that scene of love and harmony IS banned from the store. she apparently yelled at the GM for the fact i still work there. ah, what a wonderful manager i have.
                          See you kids in the stars...

Comment

About time! I'm sure she's not only angry at you for *gasp* declining to be abused, but also confused as to why she can't come in and harass you at your workplace anymore. Kudos to your manager!
                            "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds like that woman deserves to be slapped around until her brain grasps reality.
                              The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X