This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even charities have their SCs

Hello all. LOOOONG time lurker; 1st time poster. Thanks Rapscallion for signing me in.

For some background, I work for the Make A Wish Foundation. And I love my job and the people I work with. And most of the tiem, the donors are great too.
    But once in a while, I'll get something like this. It's from November 07. :

I received a call from a lady who wanted to let us know that the reason she won't donate to MAW is because we sent a child on a Marlin fishing trip.

"The marlin is a beautiful, noble creature and you should have told that dying child "Look, we are not in the business of killing noble creatures"

(I'm sure a child who is possibly dying will appreciate the lesson)

She did admit she does eat tuna so I guess the difference between nobility and lunch is tha pointy thing on the nose.

I'll have more stories from this and my previous jobs. Want to keep it simple first.
    Thanks.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

*headdesk* Welcome to the party.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      we are not in the business of killing noble creatures"

(I'm sure a child who is possibly dying will appreciate the lesson)
      Now then, is this irony, or just strange coincidence?
      Welcome to the Fray!
      "As he goes left, and you stay right
      Between the lines."
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Animals are fun to pet, and even tastier to eat. Sorry, I was listening to some radio talk show this morning on the way to work, and they were talking about the difference between vegetarians and vegans. Somehow or other, this comment got worked into the show, and it stuck in my head all day.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
          Animals are fun to pet, and even tastier to eat.
          A stand-up comic called Jim Gaffigan uses this in his shows and it's freaking hilarious!

Welcome to CS, Sheldonrs, and I hope you don't mind a disturbing lack of noble creatures around here. On the bright side: lots of tuna.
          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I heard of the same thing occurring some years back locally involving a boy dying from cancer who wanted to go on a kodiak bear hunt in Alaska or Canada. Wildlife groups raised objections and offered to take the boy up north to take pictures of kodiak bears.

Somehow I would think if a wish involved hunting endangered or protected species, the charity would look into that and make sure they are following all the applicable regulations, or gently notify the child that it won't be possible to grant that particular wish.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That was us as well. We did not grant the wish but we still get hate mail and and we received threats and a supicious package that turned out to contain a stuffed teddy bear.
              The child did get his wish granted through the NRA or some group like that. And there is actually an org. that fulfills sick children's hunting wishes.

When that lady called, I was tempted to tell her that she was mistaken. We actually granted a childs wish to hunt Marlon BRANDO!

Comment

The vast majority of marlins caught are released back to their habitat. It's ridiculous to think that this poor kid would do any different. Anyway, what was this woman thinking. Why call to say you're not going to donate.
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

She did admit she does eat tuna so I guess the difference between nobility and lunch is tha pointy thing on the nose.
                  This line cracked me up.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    "The marlin is a beautiful, noble creature and you should have told that dying child "Look, we are not in the business of killing noble creatures"
                    Um, a Marlin is a fish, a big ol' fish. Its not exactly like the kid wanted to hunt a unicorn - although there is a slight resemblance...

Comment

so... if the kid ATE the fish it would have been ok, right?
                      just like a tuna?

personally i think ... you should have sent her a card... with pictures of the kid smiling his ass off, holding up the marlin he caught.

Comment

Oooohhh, that's delightfully evil, PepperElf!!!!!
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

It's nice to know that the kid got to go on the trip that he wanted. I used to live in reasonably close proximity to St. Judes (Cancer Research Hospital for children), so I've heard a lot about MAW. You guys rock!
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Thanks Admin. I think we do too. Love working here! :-)

Comment

Do you know what's kind of funny about people who want to protect the Marlin? Staunch animal activist's will give freely to Audobon society, yet John Audobon was himself an avid hunter.

He started his society to help to prevent the game animal populations from being over hunted,. For two reasons, one, there were fewer and fewer animals that he liked to hunt, so he decided to do something, and two, he felt the need to minimize his favorite sports impact on the environment.

Otherwise, he had no problem with killing cute, furry animals.

Audobon supporters will vehemently deny that, but it's well documented.
                              Last edited by LifeCarnie; 03-27-2008, 08:16 PM.
                              Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Working...
                              X