All night, too.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
      it really pissed me off that wal mart closed on easter, you can't tell me a store that size doesn't have enough atheists to run a skeleton crew(half of the cart pushers at my store would have showed up)
      This attitude ^^^ bugged me.

(Backspaces over some snark.)
      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy
        why not work on a holiday you don't celebrate? it's practically free money on a day that would be that slow

I wish they would open for Thanksgiving and Christmas and give me OT for Black Friday and Christmas eve. I would voluntarily work every day from thanksgiving eve through christmas and just be happy to have the OT pay. $18/hr to push carts?(that's time and a half) hell yea

I could take the OT pay and go to amsterdam or something when i start getting paid vacation
        Not every place gives you overtime for working holidays, either. And most places don't have enough business to make any money that day. Think of it this way. For every employee that worked that day, you have to pay their salary. If they work overtime that day, that's a lot more salary to pay. You gotta pay money to keep the lights on and everything working in the store. Even with a skeleton crew, that's a lot of money spent. Most places lose money because they just don't have enough business.
        Last edited by Kyree; 03-25-2008, 03:53 PM.
        Pit bull-

There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
          Wow. That attitude really surprises me on this forum. I'm atheist, and I use easter as a day to see my family. Just because you don't actually celebrate Easter, doesn't mean you should be stuck working. It's a national holiday, and all stores SHOULD be closed. So you're saying Wal mart should be open on Thanskgiving and Christmas as well?
          Easter is not a national or federal holiday in the US. Here is a link to official Federal Holidays in 2008 for the US. But those are only days that the federal govenment offices are closed. While most states follow the same holiday schedule, there is no requirement for stores to follow it. Holiday closings for stores are up to the store management. Except in those areas that still enforce blue laws.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kyree View Post
            Not every place gives you overtime for working holidays, either. And most places don't have enough business to make any money that day. Think of it this way. For every employee that worked that day, you have to pay their salary. If they work overtime that day, that's a lot more salary to pay. You gotta pay money to keep the lights on and everything working in the store. Even with a skeleton crew, that's a lot of money spent. Most places lose money because they just don't have enough business.
            we don't get OT for holidays, we get double time for 6 holidays, easter is not one of them, I was saying i'd like to work 56+ hours a week during the christmas season for the huge paychecks

there would be enough people that just want the day off that they could find the right amount of people, they could give a certain amount of hours for the day(they do that anyway) and have people volunteer, there would be enough people that don't care about easter to run the store, and enough that want the day off that they could still be profitable

at least for thanksgiving and christmas they have days in that week that they just put the extra hours on

OfficeSlug-I'm sorry I offended you, but as an atheist, I see no reason to give a damn about easter, a religious holiday for a religion that I am not a part of. I can spend time with my family any time, the ones I can't, I'll need a hell of a lot more than a day off to go see, and then if I do spend time with them on easter they're doing religious stuff that I don't want to be a part of, and I'd rather be at work

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
              Calling the children "crotch-spawn" is harsh and uncalled for.
              It's not the child's fault that the parent is an idiot, so why call them nasty names?
              You're absolutely right. My sincere apologies, particularly to anyone who was offended by my brain-lapse.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth AKWalMartCartGuy View Post
                are they supercenters? division 1s close more than supercenters
                Nope, the non-supercenter ones were open, too.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                Easter is not a national or federal holiday in the US.

But those are only days that the federal govenment offices are closed. While most states follow the same holiday schedule, there is no requirement for stores to follow it. Holiday closings for stores are up to the store management.
                Just take a look at all the places that are open on those days. About the only one you get the most closings for are Thanksgiving and Christmas and even then there's still some places open.

It always seemed to us that Dillard's pulled a fast one every year. They actually do close for Easter. But, since everyone was always scheduled for 5 days working with 2 off, they made that one of our days. It always seemed like we were getting screwed out of a day off even though we weren't.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Strangely Easter Sunday isn't a bank (national) holiday here in the UK, but Good Friday and Easter Monday are. So we get double time for Friday and Monday, but Sunday is just a regular working day at the cinema.
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Odd. Easter Sunday has restricted trading legislation - nothing can open over 3,000 square feet as I understand it. Well, at least for retail. Easter Monday is a Bank Holiday, but Good Friday isn't a day off over in this neck of the woods. I think it's regional. Many places in Scotland take Monday and Tuesday off instead, and it plays merry hades with our delivery schedules.

Rapscallion

Comment

My store is open every day of the year except Christmas Day.

There is talk corporate may close some stores an hour early or open them an hour later--don't know if all or none of the stores will do this. Hey, maybe they'll grow a brain and close the store on Thanksgiving!

On second thought, scratch that. They've spent too much time and money trying to turn Thanksgiving into Black Thursday.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                        Odd. Easter Sunday has restricted trading legislation - nothing can open over 3,000 square feet as I understand it. Well, at least for retail.
                        I guess cinemas are excluded.

Easter Monday is a Bank Holiday, but Good Friday isn't a day off over in this neck of the woods. I think it's regional.
                        Good Friday is a Bank Holiday: http://www.berr.gov.uk/employment/ba...ays/index.html, but Bank Holidays are not actually national holidays. You learn something every day!

Many places in Scotland take Monday and Tuesday off instead,
                        Interesting. GF is a Bank Holiday in Scotland, but Easter Monday isn't.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                          Ah, good ol' parental responsibility, it would appear these days it comes out in the wash or is discarded with the placenta.
                          you mean you aren't suppose to frame it and leave it next to the fake Picasso in the den?

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                            you mean you aren't suppose to frame it and leave it next to the fake Picasso in the den?
                            You have not heard of a 'placenta print' have you??

Comment

Working...
                            X