This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes - but what time?

Ok.. this is taking the stupid cake for me!!

We have a pass. It's called a Weekend Pass.

It's used, perhaps surprisingly enough, for the weekend.

SC - not so much sucky, but stupid
    Me - not so stupid

Me - Ok, that's one weekend pass for this weekend.
    SC - Yes. What time is that from?
    me - the weekend pass is valid from midday Friday, until midnight on Sunday.
    SC - yes - but what time does it start?
    me - it starts at midday on Friday.
    SC - Yes, but at what time on Friday?
    me - it starts at MIDDAY on Friday.... (at this stage, my co-worker is looking at me and lauging - I wonder why...???)

SC - yes - but at 5 o'clock, 6 o'clock - when?
    me - MID-DAY on Friday....... <sigh>

She stopped at that point - not because it sunk into her head, but more because I think I was making her feel stupid...not that I actually was - she was doing a good enough job by herself....
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Perhaps it may have been prudent on the third occasion of asking to state 12 o'clock or something similar
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I can see how they would want to know the specific time. Like if I was going to plan something for 1:00 I wouln't want to have to wait around until 5:00 for my weekend pass to be valid.
      Mid-day is pretty vague.

Comment

Would this be midday by how the clock strikes? I.e. would it be 12, noon or midday by the sun, approximately 3pm?

I must say I'm in agreement with rerant. It is a little vague.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I dunno, in my book Midday = noon. Just like midnight = 12am.
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Ummm... now I'm confused.

Midday is the technical chronological time for 12 noon... I can't get any more precise. If I said midnight (as I did when saying that the pass is valid to midnight on Sunday), is that vague? So, it's not relative to the position of the sun in the sky - midday in winter is the same time as midday in the summer...
            When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Different terms just make SCs (even most customers) more confused, so for Midday/Noon, I'll just say 12 O'Clock.
              Last edited by Boochan; 03-23-2008, 05:11 PM.
              - Boochan

Comment

Quoth Slytovhand View Post
                Ummm... now I'm confused.

Midday is the technical chronological time for 12 noon...
                It is, however if it was 12:00 and someone in the street asked you the time, would you say 12:00 or midday?

Personally I would say 12:00.

The person could have been dyspraxic, they deal with 'exacts' if you ask them to go to the store to get some chocolate they will buy you a bar, even though you might have meant several.

If they ask the time they would expect a time (ie 11:00/12:00/whatever) response rather than a generic statement, hence why they could become agitated.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Hey.. sometimes people just hear terms and never get them explained to them. Besides.. Bootcamp am damage brain..

Comment

When the big hand is pointing to the 12 & the little hand is also pointing to the 12...lol.
                    In the Air Force, 1200. In the Army, when you see people file out for chow. In the Marines, when you see the grunts running after a dog with a knife & fork...lol.

Comment

You used a colloquialism, which is, by it's very nature, ambiguous. When they asked you to be more precise you should have just given them a number.
                      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Yeah, to me, midday is not a specific time. It generally refers to a stretch of time around late morning - early afternoon. Frankly, I don't know that I've ever heard it in conversation. Maybe it has a technical definition, but most people, at least in my experience, don't use it.
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Same here. Midday might mean 12 noon to you, but for some people it can mean any time between 11am to 3pm.

As far as I know, midnight means 12 at night for everybody, but I don't think I know anyone locally that says "midday" for 12 noon.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I believe "midday" is like "a couple", while technically "couple" means two, people use it to mean any thing from two to five, similarly "midday" means noon, but people use it to mean anywhere from 11o'clock to 3 or 4o'clock.
                            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Just to add to the confusion, the scramble puzzle the the newspaper the other day had "midnoon" as the answer. Care to guess what "midnoon" means? Midday.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X