This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rare Victory Over The SC

I'm a longtime lurker who decided to finally jump on the bandwagon. I thought I'd log my first post on a positive note with one of the few times i actually got away with telling the customer what i was thinking. Enjoy!

Backwards Compatibility

not too long ago, i worked at a major movie rental chain (smockluster?). as we all know, they expanded their inventory to include video game titles as well. this particular case involves an older gentleman trying to rent an xbox game for his grandson

AD: Apple Dumplins, the royal we!
    SOG: Sucky Old Guy

SOG comes busting through the door, ranting and raving about false advertising and the (actually pretty fair) cost of renting a game with us. i recognize this gentleman as someone i rented an original Xbox game to earlier that day.

SOG: This damn game don't work. I paid good money, you told me it would work. You lied, and I'll have your job for it. I should have asked the man working here about these things. He would know!

he rants for a few moments about something he refers to only as 'back conversion.' eventually i figure out he's complaining that the actual xbox owner told him it was not backwards compatible.

for those who don't know, if an original Xbox game is not backwards compatible, that means it will not play in an Xbox 360.

unfortunately, we did not have a list of what product was backwards compatible and what was not. we also had computer terminals that looked like they fell out of some late-80's made for tv movie about hackers, so looking that info up online was definitely out of the question. therefore, we'd occasionally get a situation where someone would bring back a game that just plain wouldn't play. in that situation, i'm more than willing to give you an exchange, even if you are being an insufferable, sexist prick

SOG: This is bulls**t. You sure this will work?
    AD: Yes sir, what you have is an Xbox 360 game. It's impossible for it not to be compatible
    *fake customer service smile, itching to say something snarky*
    SOG: Whatever. It didn't used to be like this. Things were simple. Better. When I was young, I never had to worry about my ball being compatible with my glove or my bat.
    AD: True. But no one ever died chasing their Xbox into the street.

needless to say, that guy turned a fascinating shade of red and high-tailed it out of there

Me: 1 That Dude: 0
    www.myspace.com/asyoursolitudesubsides

Quoth Apple Dumplins View Post
    (smockluster?)
    my ball being compatible with my glove or my bat
    You're a smock luster? That's both a new perversion I've never heard of, and quite possibly the best store I've never heard of.
    Sir, was that an unnecessary euphemism for playing with yourself?

Oh, and, Welcome to the ranks of us storytellers. Enjoy your stay, don't drink the punch, and for Gods sakes, remember rule #1.
    Last edited by Imogene; 03-26-2008, 01:17 PM. Reason: Surprise!
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Wait, there's punch? Why was I not informed? <goes get some punch> <comes back>

I welcome you, Apple, to this fine forum. Keep up with the stories..and..ooh <punch kicks in>
      "Oh, by the way..." All of my HATE

Ou kata nomon = Not according to the accepted norm

Comment

Quoth Apple Dumplins View Post
        WOW. Thanks for the laugh! Awesome response.
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

LOL oh man now I'm paranoid. I swear I am well behaved when ever I go into um *grins* Smockluster. I'd have loved to have seen the guys face though!!

Oh while I have you here, make sure you go and check out the "Omaha take 4" discussion under Get Together's. Just had one, planning a new one. You will be assimilated, just saying.
          Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

Ahahahahahaha! ..makes me glad we have little "BC"s on our original xbox game labels.
            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Heh. My "pet name" for the place has been Schlockbluster for a while now.

I love that parting shot. Classic.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

SOG: Whatever. It didn't used to be like this. Things were simple. Better. When I was young, I never had to worry about my ball being compatible with my glove or my bat.
                Gold. Pure gold.

Welcome, BTW
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Gold. Pure gold.

Welcome, BTW
                  Gold, hell, that's platinum!

And like Irv here said, welcome to the boards, Apple Dumplins!
                  Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                  --Unknown

Comment

Quoth Trayol View Post
                    Wait, there's punch? Why was I not informed? <goes get some punch> <comes back>

I welcome you, Apple, to this fine forum. Keep up with the stories..and..ooh <punch kicks in>

Don't remember the punch, but we do have a fully stocked bar and wine cellar.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

I'll be right back...*zooms off and dissapears for a few minutes, coming back with a half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels and singing 'Flogging Molly'*

I love thish placsh! *thud, snore*
                      Some people are like slinkies,
                      They don't really serve a purpose,
                      But they still bring a smile to your face
                      When you push them down the stairs.

Comment

haha... that sort of drink is ALWAYS helpful when dealing with customers

thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
                        www.myspace.com/asyoursolitudesubsides

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          i'll have a vintage 1905- 1910 chilled chardonnary

Comment

Working...
                          X