This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, two + whining = zero, definitely.

Also, I fully agree with the "bubblewrapping" comment. Shield your kids from all of life's dangers, and they won't be able to take care of themselves when they have to. This is why I don't agree with the ground-up rubber they put down in playgrounds nowadays. Gravel was good for you. Taught you how to take pain and why acting like a moron is a bad idea.
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
      So, of course, in classic style, the parents cave and buy this little jerk his three games. Way to raise a well balanced kid.

This is of particular annoyance to me. When everyone else IN THE WORLD possible exaggeration had a PlayStation, I had a SEGA Master System.

About 3 years after the release of the PS1 I got one.

The next year, I got a SEGA Mega Drive as well (that's a Genesis for you yanks). Yep, I got the SEGA AFTER I got a PS1.

The first up-to-date console I ever owned was the GameCube I bought out of my own money.

I hate spoiled little like this who whine and moan so Mummy and Daddy will try and buy their affection.
      ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

I got my Super Nintendo about a year after the Playstation came out.....I thought I was the luckiest kid in the world. When I would even get to go out a rent a game to play I thanked my mom about a thousand times.
        If one of my kids throws a fit like that.....not only would they be going home with ZERO games, they would also find their precious 360 taken away and stored in the garage for a few weeks. Of course that would be on the assumption I would even give one of my kids a 360, which is not likely, since they spend too much time in front of the TV anyways. I really don't want them to do it more.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          Ugh!

If I or my brother had pulled that crap, that's a guarantee that we'd be getting no games at all.

^-.-^
          If I had pulled that crap, then I'd have blood around my wrists from the sheer grip of my mothers hand around it. (She has talons)

Quoth Apathy View Post

Also, I fully agree with the "bubblewrapping" comment.
          Gravel, woodchips the size of your head, it's all good. The only good thing about the rubber is in the spring it heats up to a nice temperture.

Woodchips: Because nothing is safer then jumping off a swingset into a pile of two inch long splinters.

Comment

Quoth Kalga View Post
            Woodchips: Because nothing is safer then jumping off a swingset into a pile of two inch long splinters.
            That'll build character pretty damn fast.

Comment

Jeez, if I had done that when I was a kid, I, too, would have left the store with nothing. I can only imagine what that kid will be like when he is a teenager.
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

ungrateful by the busload, they are...

i was grateful to get things; mom and dad rarely bought us much of anything, so a gift on the fly was a rare event. if we threw a fit, we got nothing, then had a punishment waiting for us at home.

tantrums were not tolerated on any level, period.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Crow The Robot View Post
                  I was happy to get a matchbox car or book myself. $60 games. yeesh.
                  Hell, if I were gonna whine about wanting something as a kid it would have been a book. Not that I did, because my parents were usually more than happy to provide books. And I didn't cry if I got 2 instead of 3. My birthday/Christmas wish lists were usually at least 80% books (ah, who am I kidding...they still are!).
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oooh, this kind of non-parenting makes me so steamed! My mom's biggest peeve was whining. I can guarantee you, even if she'd promised me a toy/book/candy, if I whined about it, I'd be going home empty-handed!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    My birthday/Christmas wish lists were usually at least 80% books (ah, who am I kidding...they still are!).
                    Someone of my own heart!

Quoth Boochan View Post
                    kids living with their parents until their 20s or 30s
                    Actually, it's only within the last couple of generations that -not- living with your parents past age 22-ish has become the norm. My grandparents, for instance, lived with my grandmother's parents after they were married - my dad was even born there! At the time, this was perfectly normal. What with the rising home prices, it was likely to go back to this way at least partially even without the very spoiled majority of the youngest generation.

Eh heh, sorry that I'm defensive over that subject. As a 20-year-old "unpublished author" whom nobody in the city is willing to hire and who doesn't have (and can't make) the money to go back to school... well, it's a given that I'm living with my parents.

Also, sorry for the threadjack!
                    All that glitters has a high refractive index.

The meat is rotten, but the booze is holding out.
                    -> Computer translation of "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

Comment

Quoth Lioness Blackfire View Post
                      Eh heh, sorry that I'm defensive over that subject. As a 20-year-old "unpublished author" whom nobody in the city is willing to hire and who doesn't have (and can't make) the money to go back to school... well, it's a given that I'm living with my parents.

Also, sorry for the threadjack!
                      Eh, don't feel too bad. I'm 32 and I just moved out (for the second time; first time was for a year) last fall. And I don't even have your excuse...

/unjack thread/
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

yeah, my mother was strict on things like that... if she said I could get 2 games and I said I wanted 3, her response would be, ok, now you can have 1, and if I was stupid enough to say another word about it I'd get none.

oh and the bubblewrapping is really bad, my first year in college there were people who didn't even know how to use an iron... and by that I don't mean they didn't know how to do a proper crease and all that (because I'll be honest, I don't know how to do that every time either ) I mean they didn't know some of the simplest things like you needed to put water in i've had coworkers who know nothing about how to do their own finances without mommy or daddy helping... hell I've had coworkers who never had to worry about doing maintanence on their cars... they've had to ask people where to get oil changes because it always just used to get done for them... the world is going to hell
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          yeah, my mother was strict on things like that... if she said I could get 2 games and I said I wanted 3, her response would be, ok, now you can have 1, and if I was stupid enough to say another word about it I'd get none.
                          My Mom was just like that too. Made me into the well adjusted *must... not laugh....* adult *sputters*that I am today!

Oh, damn, couldn't quite make it.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

One of my old friends (and then college roommates) never had a job until his second year after college. Nothing in high school, nothing in all five years of college.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                              My Mom was just like that too. Made me into the well adjusted *must... not laugh....* adult *sputters*that I am today!

Oh, damn, couldn't quite make it.
                              Yeah, but Queenie, she also made us pay with our own money.
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I can imagine in a few decades that kid being pissed off because his parents are out spending his inheritance.

On basic necessities for themselves in their retirement years.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                                3rd shift needs love, too
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X