This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be so f*cking rude

My second tale of woe from my piece of shit hotel job.

Since christmas, I have been working the Sunday morning breakfast shift (Possibly the most disorganised, poorly-structured service ever. Always understaffed, always overcrowded)
    I start at 8.30, meaning I have to leave the house at 8 to walk, therefore I can wake up no later than 7.30 if i want to eat before 11.30am. On a Sunday.

So I arrive, and i'm dog tired, hoping for a quiet morning. Naturally, it's the busiest morning so far.

Mostly, the shift's going ok. I'm taking orders, serving, and generally bombing about the place like a man possessed doing the work of three people. One table of four collars me, asking where their coffee is. Not nicely, but in a very rude manner that suggests they are totally unaware of the 65 other guests all requiring service. Thing is, the host who seated them took their coffee and toast order. Not me. Apparently they have been waiting around half an hour. This seems likely

This is because our tea/coffee and toast system is piss poor. We have one small toaster, and about 10 or 11 coffee pots. For 20-25 tables. Often we have to take pots off other tables still in use. It's shite, and us frontline staff always take the crap for the toast boy being slow.

So I go and see what's up, and get their order fast-tracked

I go back out and tell them it's on it's way, offer apologies etc etc.

So then the ringleader (RSC) asks, in what he must think is a jovial, friendly tone:
    RSC: So what exactly is the problem with making a pot of coffee for four?
    Me: Sorry sir, as you can see we are extremely busy, and our toaster is not equipped to handle such a busy time. It's a poor set up and one that is soon to be rectified.
    Me (What I wanted to say) : Don't be so fucking patronising. It's rammed in here, and it's not my responsibility to get you your toast. The problem isn't making coffee for four, it's making it for 84, with only enough pots for 40. The lad making the toast is new on the job, speaks little english (he's polish) and is naturally a little slow.
    Then his friend(FSC) butts in:
    FSC: How about we go in there and make it ourselves?
    Me (What I wanted to say) : Be my guest you prick and see how far you get in a room that is far too crowded for its purpose. Construct a coffee pot out of thin air as well while you're at it!
    Me: *Smiles* That won't be necessary sir, in fact I believe this is your coffee and toast here (Thankfully it was!)

Honestly, it baffles me that we can get some people who act so rudely, when in even worse situations (such as the kitchen losing power, waiting 45 minutes for their duck only to be told we have run out of duck, waiting 25 minutes until we find out that we have also run out of their alternate choice) people keep smiling, laugh and joke and leave a tip!

Here's your damnable coffee right freakin' now, sir! *Pours steaming hot coffee in patron's lap* Enjoy, you pompous ass!
    Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Wow... Just... wow.
      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I remember doing breakfast at a very busy hotel it was horrible.

Then I got lovingly moved into lunch/dinner.

Oh wait that was no better.
        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

I'd be pretty torqued, too, if I had to wait an hour for a simple coffee and toast order.

Granted, it's not the OP's fault for this. And, the customers should've reamed out the management.

Still, you can't blame them for being upset over such pathetic service. ONE toaster? Not enough coffee items for every table in a HOTEL that serves breakfast? Moronic. Pure stupid.

The OP's managers need to get their act together.
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

As frustrating as it is, its not cool to threaten to "gob" in anything.

That turns the whole situation around in my mind.... yuck
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
              As frustrating as it is, its not cool to threaten to "gob" in anything.
              I agree. Food tampering is not something we take lightly or joke about on CS.

It is never cool to threaten to do anything to a customer's food.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I cannot imagine what I would do if I found my food tampered with because I had legitimate complaints. But, it'd probably send me to jail for a while.

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Hmmm...

What got my goat about these people was not that I thought they were complaining about something trivial - they had a genuine grievance and I did my level best to sort it out - it was that they thought being rude and obnoxious was going to help them. By being a dick, all that guy did was tread on one of my last remaining nerves and make me feel less that inclined to help them

An aside - I'm definetly NOT one to tamper with food, since people will find out and I WILL lose my job. But some people do test my patience

Something I have learned being on either side of F&B service is that someone who is nice to you, but rude to the serving staff (waiter/barman/chef etc) is NOT a nice person.

Comment

Since I have already addressed the 'food tampering" issue, and the OP admits that it was just a joke (as badly thought out and in poor taste as it was) let's move on from that.

I am editing the title to remove the "or I'll gob in your coffee" comment, so this thread does not become about that issue.

There may be more people who don't realize that when a mod has addressed a problem, that's the end of the discussion.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I've never understood the mindset of customers. If you could bend the laws of physics, pulling the atoms from the air and forming whatever item the customer wanted. You wouldn't be working there you'd be ruling the world.
                      "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Comment

Having a legitimate complaint is one thing, but taking it out on the waiter is not the appropriate response.

I've been mad as a customer before, but I know how to deal with it. Yelling at/being a dick to the first guy I see is not the answer. Maybe a civil conversation with management would help.

Yes, one toaster sucks, and waiting 1/2 hour for a drink sucks, but this does not excuse rude behavior.
                        Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth Apathy View Post
                          Yes, one toaster sucks, and waiting 1/2 hour for a drink sucks, but this does not excuse rude behavior.
                          it does, but to the manager or the owner of the establishment who thinks it's a brilliant idea to run a business that way. Meaning "You're the manager/owner? Why in the world would you think this is a good way to run a business? For Pete's sake your staff is running around like chickens with their heads cut off and all because you either don't staff enough people or you have bad equipment, and by looking at all these people here, I'd say you are doing well enough to afford better"

Then I'd tip the waiter a good 30-40% with my apologies that they work for an idiot and leave not likely to return.

Did that with a manager at Home Depot once, but I told him he was a pompous incompetent jack ass, and have only been in there maybe 5 times since in the 6-7 years since it happened.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                            There may be more people who don't realize that when a mod has addressed a problem, that's the end of the discussion.
                            But Reeeeeeeee-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ... we want to argue with you about it!

Comment

I'm with draftermatt on this. Managers are where you speak the truth. In the OP's situation, management is clearly filled with idiots, morons, and worse.

ONE TOASTER? IN A HOTEL? If this isn't proof of just how stupid they are, nothing is.

That said, the server cannot help this. And one shouldn't take it out on the server or any of the rest of the wait staff (bus boys, bartenders, etc.).

And, if the server sucks ... you still take it out on the manager and leave no tip for the sucky server.

Comment

Working...
                              X