This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, send your kids over. But you need to learn this too

So last week with First Aid Charity we were at a local shopping center teaching CPR. Parents would send their kids over to learn but stubbornly refused how to do it themselves. I don't get why people are so reluctant to learn how to save a life.

While some of us were teaching others were giving out free first aid guides. They detail 5 first aid scenarios and how to deal with them effectively (unconsciousness, heart attack, serious bleeding, heart attack and choking). The amount of people who were simply rude when refusing it was staggering, after 14 hours I was very glad indeed that it was over.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Actually, given how many times I've had the various courses in my life, I might send my kids up to get the hands on, while I stood back and watched to see what'd changed. Without seeing the layout, I couldn't tell you if some of your parents were doing that or not..

Wait.. people were rude about something free. I can't belie.. *checks site* Right. There are only a few cases for being rude when refusing something. Most of them involve having refused said thing for the third or fourth time. But I still don't get why they refused a free first aid kit. Those things are like GOLD in my household!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

First aid guides, but the point remains. A simple "no thanks" and go about your day.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        So last week with First Aid Charity we were at a local shopping center teaching CPR. Parents would send their kids over to learn but stubbornly refused how to do it themselves. I don't get why people are so reluctant to learn how to save a life.
        Probably because they fear retaliation or a lawsuit (and yes, I do know about Good Samaritan laws ), whereas if a kid does it, he/she is hailed as a hero.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          Because they're not really hoping their kids learn CPR, they're using you guys as child care.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

That reminds me: I'm overdue for a first aid refresher course.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              Actually, given how many times I've had the various courses in my life, I might send my kids up to get the hands on, while I stood back and watched to see what'd changed. Without seeing the layout, I couldn't tell you if some of your parents were doing that or not..
              With skill fade reaching up to 60% it's always worth getting hands on for a physical reminder.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

God knows, I wish I could get a course in first aid, considering the last time a person fell in my store, I was the most useful person out of everyone that responded. Keeping in mind that the people who responded were two loss prevention officers and an HR manager and I'm the lowest man on the totem pole in terms of my position, that's a pretty scary thought.

Comment

Might be trying to get the kids "job skills". I've seen lots of job postings in the paper lately looking for kids with babysitting experience, with certifications in first aid and CPR.
                  Last edited by Raveni; 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

You know I've been in a similar situation. I earned the rank of Eagle Scout, and he's been involved since I was a kid, so we are both pretty familiar with first aid, and such. I was with my dad on vacation, and we saw some kids doing stuff that was ultimately pretty dangerous. I just looked at him and said:

Me- "See that?"
                    Him- "Yup."
                    Me- "If they get hurt, I am going to need to get involved..."
                    Him- "Yeah, me too. Wanna go somewhere else?"
                    Me- "Lead the way."

Its to the point where you can't tell someone to *NOT* do something that is dangerous and have to worry about legal complications if you *DO* help someone. Honestly, I'd still help, but when I see a situation brewing... well I'd rather be gone before anything happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X