X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Little Flashlights

Can't believe I almost forgot this one.

I work at a knife store, but it's not like we just sell knives. There's also picnic baskets, kitchen utensils, etcetera. And last Christmas, we sold really, really cheap tiny flashlights. They'd run out, like, the second time you used them. They really were not the kind of thing you'd spend money for.

But whoever it is who designs the Christmas flyers decided to put a little coupon for them in. I suppose the idea was that people buying actual purchases would also buy a flashlight on spur-of-the-moment, just like the candy next to the lines in drugstores. It didn't work out that way, though. Instead, this would happen a lot.

SC: Idiots whom evolution has overlooked
    M:

M: What would you like today sir/ma'am?

SC: *slams flashlight down on counter*

M: Okay. *starts to ring it up*

SC: WAIT! I have a coupon!

M: Oh. Okay.

Now, this may not seem particularly sucky, but keep in mind that this is Christmas. There are huge, huge lines of fed-up people who just want to get home and eat their figgy pudding or whatever. People who are actually trying to BUY SOMETHING. We had tons of people leave because they did not want to wait until all the idiots had bought their little stocking stuffers, but the idiots seemed to have all the time in the world. So many people just bought a flashlight with that damn coupon and that was it. We made almost no profit from those flashlights. I honestly think that because of them we lost money. Plus ringing up countless little tiny things just wasted time.

Has anything similar happened to anyone here?
    Last edited by Petronella; 07-16-2007, 01:44 AM. Reason: to much info

Quoth Petronella View Post

Has anything similar happened to anyone here?
    Nope, every customer we have ever delt with has been perfectly reasonable and understanding. Not to mention respectful.

Comment

No kidding. That dude's a freak. I've never meat anyone who used a coupon for a five dollar item before...
      Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

That sounds like a really annoying situation especially with the lines etc. It was probably a "loss leader" type idea where people would come in to purchase the flashlights and would buy other products as well. It sounds like it was a bad idea on corporates part and caused a lot of headache.

Slamming an item down on the counter and later screaming about a coupon is certainly sucky. At the same time I don't see a problem with NOT making a fuss and using a coupon for whatever off for a product at a store. I don't think that people are idiots just because they use coupons or are people who "evolution has overlooked" just because they chose to buy cheap items for whatever reason. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
        X