This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
    I have never read any of the Harry Potter books. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
    Same here. I love watching the movies, and have seen everyone. But I just haven't read a single copy. I will sometime
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I worked in a used bookstore just around the time the Oprah Book Club got it's first wind (98 or 99?). We would have people come in with no idea of the book's title or author, they only know that Oprah recommended it. When I told them that I didn't watch Oprah so I didn't know what they were trying to request, I would also get snarky comments such as what you got. To top it off it was a used bookstore our inventory depended entirely on what books were brought in to us or bought at by the owner at various locations unlike a new bookstore that carried hundreds of current bestsellers.
      My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

I couldn't get into the Harry Potter books. I read the first one, didn't care for it, gave the second one a chance, still didn't care for it, and gave up.

I read about three books a week, so I'd be mighty pissed if someone implied that I was illiterate because I'm not into children's books as a grown adult.

I will say that if I had kids, those books would be enjoyable to read to them, because they didn't bore me to tears or anything.

On a similar note, I get people asking me about how a certain wine tastes. We sell over two hundred different kinds of wine, and I am not exactly a heavy drinker. But customers get mad if you tell them you haven't tried a certain kind, so I just keep up to date with the tasting notes the winery sends us and use those to describe them.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I love the books but I'm almost afraid to read the last one, I don't want to know who dies next. The fifth book was the best in my opinion. If a bookseller told me she hasn't read them I'd probably say "oh you should, they're pretty good" and leave it at that. Talk about rude.
          It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
          -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

I have never read any of the Harry Potter books. I don't see what all the fuss is about.
            If you haven't read them, how could you? But please don't tell me you've seen the movies and that you're using them to formulate your opinion. Because even as someone who's read the books, I can tell that the movies probably make little to no sense if a person hasn't read them. Especially movie four. I just treat them as visual aids to the books, and in that at least, they're exemplary.

Comment

I haven't read any of the HP books nor seen any of the movies. I like my tomes to be reality-based. If I need something to help me escape to a different world, I'll turn on the TV. The 6 o'clock news provides all I can handle.
              This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Then she says, in a very snarky tone, "Oh, I thought you had to READ if you worked here." (I work in a bookstore)

She walked off in a huff. I know I shouldn't have said anything, but she pissed me off.
                My response would probably have been something like: "Yes, I do read which is why I work here. Literate people read more than just Harry Potter books, though."

I think you handled it well. My opinion is that the woman was rude, and therefore, sucky, and I probably would have made some kind of remark. Then again, I have a hard time playing nice with stupid people.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Hmm, dunno if the later books would qualify as "children's" books anymore....Rowling has apparently been maturing the series as her audience matures.

Remember the first book came out in the early 1990s - the kids who read it are 17 years older now and are still fans
                  DJ Particle

Comment

Quoth EmiOfBrie View Post
                    Remember the first book came out in the early 1990s - the kids who read it are 17 years older now and are still fans
                    Not that old. I know because I wasn't 7 when the first book came out.

EDIT: Wikipedia says the first book was initially released on June 30, 1997, so that'd make it an even decade.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Then she says, in a very snarky tone, "Oh, I thought you had to READ if you worked here." (I work in a bookstore)
                      Wait, so if you don't read Harry potter, you can't read? Why are customers so darn idiotic?

Comment

I'd hate to disagree with you but she was sucky, implying that not reading HP makes you illiterate is sucky. Gah! Between the " whatta you mean you don't read HP are you an idiot" and the "If you read HP you are going to hell" SCs I am glad ihave next weekend off. Anyway, you handled it very, very, well. If it were me i would have said i was inchare of the Erotic/sex books, but then again I'm evil.

Comment

she was sucky to say you are illeterate sure, but not all people who brows the kids section are idjits either.
                          (what can i say, i just still have a thing for robert munch.)
                          Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

I've had people being really patronising when I read Harry Potter (woo hoo Book 7 next week!) but I point out I'm doing a Literature degree too
                            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              If you do read them you're going to hell and if you don't read them you're an illiterate moron...!
                              I guess I'm an illiterate moron, then. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay me.

Same here. I've read plot summaries and whatnot, and they don't seem that interesting to me. As such, I haven't read the books.

As for everyone HAVING to read the lasted "big thing in books" (when did that become a law, anyway?), I was vastly disappointed in "The Da Vinci Code" when I read a copy my fiance borrowed a copy. I saw the ending a mile away.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                                I've had people being really patronising when I read Harry Potter (woo hoo Book 7 next week!) but I point out I'm doing a Literature degree too
                                I wanted to take an entire course on HP in literature at one of my colleges (either where I got my B.S. or started grad school, I think it was the latter) but sadly it didn't fit my schedule of required classes.

I know I've mentioned it before, but a coworker knew I was big into HP and everything this summer so we were talking about the movies - she hadn't read the books. I brought her book 1&2 last week, she finished them in 4 days (with two little kids!) and is probably nearly done with 3. My boss and I were talking about it later, she mentioned she hadn't ever read them but had wanted to - I pulled out book1 and gave it to her right there. The next day, she was halfway through "I knew they'd be good the way everyone talks, but I can't put it down!" And I have two more coworkers lined up to start reading them after her.

HP isn't for everyone, and the hugeness of them can be off-putting, I know. But 10 years and about 7 of that with big hype - that's something. For good reason, if you ask me.

ETA - the *smart* customer in a bookstore tells an employee "I'm looking for this kind of book or I like that author, is there anyone with similar tastes that can suggest something to me? At the store I always go to (and take photos for) I know just who to ask for a recommendation depending on what book I want to buy. But of course, SCs are not usually smart like that.

Current reading - 1/2 through CoS, I need to finish it today and get going on PoA if I'm going to read 1-6 before Friday!

Comment

Working...
                                X