This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday Sucks.

I always get the winners when I work on Sundays.

First, a woman called no less than eight times, hoping to get a different answer to her dilemma: her computer was apparently not talking to her monitor. I asked her to look at the cables and make sure they were plugged in and not frayed. They were. The only thing I could think of was maybe a bad video card, which I could not confirm over the phone. She had to bring the computer and monitor in so we could look at them. There was no other way around it. That didn't stop her from arguing for five minutes because she couldn't get off her fat ass long enough to do so.

Then there was the woman that my co-worker talked to. My co-worker is a nice, easy-going guy and it takes a lot to piss him off. This harpy succeeded. It turned out that the harpy's motherboard was bad. The only way to fix it was to ship it off. The woman would not believe that we couldn't replace the motherboard in the store while she waited. The reason: The IT department of her company keeps motherboards on hand to swap out, so we should too!

We're not her IT department. We are a retail store. Her company has maybe 2 or 3 models to choose from and can thus afford to keep spare motherboards to swap out. We sell between 20 - 30 different models, all with highly specific circuitboard designs. We don't have the space to store motherboards for every last model we sell. It's the same reason we don't sell laptop batteries or AC adapters that aren't generic. This isn't like swapping out a bad hard drive or power source, where you can get away with a generic brand. The motherboard is your computer!

The woman started screaming that she'll never shop in our store again and questioned the competency of my awesome, fun co-worker that I will miss when I eventually quit.

Then several people that did something stupid with the settings on their computer wanted me to fix it for them over the phone. How many times do I have to tell you that we don't do tech support over the phone?! If it's something I can charge you for, I can't tell you how to fix it. I don't care how much money you spent on your computer. I don't care that you live out in West Bumfuck and can't pull yourself away from your "stories" long enough to waddle into my store. I'm not going to tell you how do this over the phone because you're not going to listen to me. You're going to click on the wrong thing, fsck up your computer even worse and then find a way to blame it on me and weasel some free services out of us.

Then the poster child for trailer trash came into my store with a broken camera. I didn't get a very good look at her face because she easily made two of me and wore a red halter-like top that keep slipping down and exposing her bra. Once I told her the wait time, she was ready for the WAH-bulance. Do I have a loaner she could use? Is there any way to speed it up? She needs it for her business... as a mystery shopper. Way to go, lady. You do know you can get fired for telling me that, right?

I hate working Sundays. I really do.
    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Since when do mystery shoppers use a camera? Most retail stores frown on people taking pictures without permission.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
    X