Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Somehow, I knew today was going to SUCK!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somehow, I knew today was going to SUCK!

Why, might you ask? Well, Financial Aid vouchers for the fall term go into effect. That would be all well and good, but the process itself got borked, so I - with absolutely NO experience or knowledge of how this process works - have to try and pinpoint the errors if I can, while working with both campus IT, my company IT, students, my boss, and the Student business office here on campus. allow me to explain:

The way it's SUPPOSED to work:
    1. We send an email to Sean (head of campus IT), who handles the upload every semester. We tell him start dates, expiration dates, and the term code every student with qualifying financial aid gets set under. In this case, Fall 2012. Start date is today, runs until sometime in september, say...the 15th. So. Sean gets an email that says "Please upload financial aid voucher information for all students fall 2012, with a start date of 07/19/2012 and and expiration date of 09/15/2012. Thanks so much, hugs and kisses and Reese's!"

2. Sean's task, then, is to contact the Student Business office, who gives a list of students with their ID numbers, and excess aid allotted for the fall term. This amount never exceeds a set number, say $600.

3. Sean uploads the list into our system the morning of the start date (i.e. TODAY)

4. Students come in to the store with their ID, we plug in the number, and it pops up saying "available balance, $453" or $600, etc, etc.

5. We run the transaction, student signs the paperwork, walks out with books and we submit the papers to the Student Business office at the end date, and we get a check cut in the amount of the total charges.

What happened today

1. I arrive at 10 am. Boss tells me "Financial aid didn't load correctly, Sean is looking into it" I pull up an account and sure enough, account after account, there is either a $0 balance or a NEGATIVE balance for student fall aid accounts. Oh. GOODY.

2. Sean calls around 11, asking us to check if the accounts are now correct in our system. I pull up an account...and it's reflecting a balance of $8662.45. Further, the dates were set for 07/18/2011 and expiration is 12/08/2011. WTF!?!?!

3. Boss and I faint. Upon coming to, we realize this is so very much wrong. Sean sounds puzzled. This has never happened before, did WE do something?? We explain how it's been in the past. Either it works perfectly, or it doesn't work. We have NEVER seen this kind of issue before. Ok, says Sean, I'll look at it.

4. Explain to students coming in that they can't use said vouchers until they go to the Student Business office to obtain bright pink sheets of paper saying they can. Cue unhappy students.

5. Call the IT Support desk for my company, to make sure it isn't a glitch on our end, and wait for that team to start working on it. Meanwhile, wait for Sean to call back.

6. Get calls from everyone on the chain in Student Business AND the financial aid office to call and ask why in the hell we're sending students over there...the upload went in today! Explain the situation and take several screen prints showing the issue over and get berated, in person, yay!! Then, get a call from Sean when I'm at my desk again asking for a screencap, to "verify what you say is happening is really happening, because we're looking at the code and <long list of technical language I don't understand>, you see?"

...no...

7. Go through the transactions we DID process today, only to find ANOTHER glitch. Student has a $600 limit, which we manually enter. We ring them through for a $220 purchase, etc, etc, life is good, and print the receipts, only to check the bottom where the remaining balance is supposed to be listed...and see there is only $54 remaining balance.

8. Repeat all of the above steps involving Sean, Student Business, IT Support for my company.

9. Contemplate crawling under the desk and hiding for the rest of the day.

10. Finally, FINALLY sit down for a lunch break, right as boss walks out and says "I think we might have another issue with the FA upload..."

11. Whimper.

12. Whimper again.

13. Really REALLY wish you hadn't finished all the chai already.

14. Eat lunch and pretend you're invisible so no one can see you, while writing up a post for fellow CSers to commiserate with.

That's been my day, how's yours...?

Oh, poor poor Lupo....

When I was attending school (with the Gov't paying for my books) I never had this level of fuster-cluck....

and Chai w/ Bailey's
    Last edited by Treasure; 07-19-2012, 07:27 PM.
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

Poor poor Lupo!!!

I will second Treasure.....

I'm so sorry this is happening to you!!!!
      "Can't talk.

Comin' down."

Comment

I'm at a total loss for words here on what happened to you today. That's horrible. If I had any Everclear (the full strength stuff, not the 151 crap) I'd send it your way to put in your chai.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

That's where you go back to pen and paper, so you can do stuff while the system gets sorted out.

Comment

chromatix - we were, that's why we kept having to send students over to Student Business, to get paper vouchers so we could run those through and ring them up for their books.

UPDATE!!!
            So, it took hours upon hours, multiple phone calls, and my running across campus to different buildings way too much. In the end, here's what happened:

Sean kept tracking down what was going on from that end in campus IT, while I was on the phone with My Company IT, with a guy, let's call Bert. Bert and I, unfortunately, have talked a LOT the last month or so, with all the different issues leading up to the upload. I was trying to cover all bases ahead of time. Well, he was checking the upload from HIS end, and was showing yes, everything was going through, BUT the numbers were still off by large amounts, AND the dates were still off. Um, yay? What?

Meanwhile, he started looking into the discrepancy with the remaining balances, trying to find out why, when students charged $170 with a $600 limit, they were showing a remaining limit of $54. That was fun.

While all this was going on, I'm making phone calls, letting everyone know what's going on as it happens. Basically one long string of "Yes they're still working on it, no changes yet" phone call after another. I think, all told, today I spent one hour total when I wasn't on the phone...

Finally, an hour and a half before we closed, I get a phone call from Sean, saying "Hey, we think we found it! somehow, there's a decimal point error on this end, so instead of $600, they're getting $6000!! We found it using <another long string of technical language I don't completely understand.>"

I breathe a sigh of relief, and ask when we can get the corrected information, and am told there's a pending upload they just pushed through, just give it an hour. Or so. Maybe.

Maybe. Right. Whimpering again now, because I just sent a handful of students over to the Student Business office, and they are NOT happy... >.<

While Bossman finishes dealing with Sean, I answer the OTHER phone that's ringing. Hey, it's Bert!! Hi Bert!!

"Hey, we think we found the problem. It's a decimal error on the side of Campus IT"

Wow, one right after the other. Ok, I thanked him for the info, THEN I asked him if he'd had any headway on the other matter, with the remaining balance discrepancies.

Oh yes, he says! See, LAST fall, (2011), when there were charges for Financial Aid, we receieved the check from the Student Business office, the person in charge of handling the accounting was SUPPOSED to purge the Fall files. To reflect, everything that had been paid out, and zeroed out the Fall Financial Aid account.

Instead, thy brought the balance to zero. How? We don't know. Literally. Bert was stumped, so i was on the phone with him for another half hour while we went through it, while at the same time helping customers, because people are STILL coming in to buy stuff, we're having a surprisingly busy Thursday, even though it is the first day for fall vouchers. It's insane.

Finally, Bert manages to purge the entire account without effecting the ones that were charged today.

I managed to check again, because by this point an hour or more had passed since the promise of an upload from Sean.

Hey lookie. No upload... Goddammit!!!

Bert asks me why I'm whimpering. I explain. He starts typing away on his keyboard and says he can see the file, do I want him to manually pull it over, and shove it through. Oh dear gods, YES. Do it!! Shove it in, shove it all the way in!!!!

*cough* I mean, yes, we'd greatly appreciate it. Please?

He pushes it through, and I go to check that it went through, by using a random voucher from a student who had walked in at that moment.

IT WORKED!!! Oh, thank you gods, it worked!! YAY!!! IT WORKS, HALLELUJAH!!

and it only took all day, and fixed an hour or so before we closed. Tomorrow morning we get to go and make sure that the periodic updates (supposed to update every 3 hours, so hopefully it goes through each time with not hiccups)

I really, really, really hope it does. I don't wanna go through another day like today again.

Comment

You've been too close to Seraph, haven't you?
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

*reads post silently*
                *whimpers*
                *passes over the Baileys*
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

that sounds like the one night at my pizza place.

First the phone system starts to act up. THEN the whole phone system decides to totally quit and go on strike. NOW not only can we not receive phone calls but our CC processing is gone too. OH and with the phone lines down our ability to receive internet orders is borked too.

The phone company could ntot figure out why the lines were down. the phone ssytem stayed borked for like 18 hours.

NOW add to that the POS system decides to take a BIG STINKY dump on itself and try and commit suiside for a couple of hours before the help desk finally managed to shove something into the system and beat it back into submission.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Oh dear gods, YES. Do it!! Shove it in, shove it all the way in!!!!
                    Paging Sheldon, paging Sheldon to the Lupo thread...

Comment

Quote from a friend: "To err is human. To really f**k things up requires a computer."

Comment

I'd almost suggest that the person who sorted the upload file mucked it up and split the columns by the wrong deliminater.

I have a client with a similar error we can't track the source of. Just one part of the hundred or so items we supply gets reciepted and self-billed correctly... however when it transfers to the payment system it turns into a completely unrelated apparently random value (ranging from 25% too 800% of the correct value)! No one can work out why or how it is happening!
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I don't know what happened, exactly, but according to Sean with campus IT, it's apparently been there for a while, at least a year. I'm wondering how that happened, but as long as the upload is working correctly, and it's updating on schedule, I don't really care.

Now, the REALLY fun part begins, and that's web orders using financial aid. That's a whole headache of a process in and of itself, that has already started giving me problems. *whimpers* I've got 2 work orders in ready, and am hoping for a resolution on Monday. More on those when I've got some booze in my system...

Comment

hands Lupo a giant bottle of Rum and a big box o'chocolates.
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Ohthankgodsrum

*chugs*

Saturday night and I'm still twitchy. Monday's coming FAST. I don't want it to. It needs to go away!!

Comment

Working...
                              X