This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He won't answer any more

Chester Nez, the last surviving Navajo code talker, has died. The title comes from Johnny Cash's song "The Ballad of Ira Hayes" (Hayes was another Native American Marine from WW2 - one of the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima).

Bit of history: Shortly after the U.S. entered WW2, they ran into problems due to the Japanese having broken their codes. In order to maintain secure communications, Navajo natives were recruited - their language didn't share roots with any languages spoken outside North America, was extremely difficult for "outsiders" to learn, and was unlikely to have been studied (even as an academic exercise) by anyone in Japan.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

The story of the Navajo Code Talkers is quite amazing. Every time I read about them, the sheer ingenuity just amazes me. And now they're all gone.

Mr. Nez, thank you for your service to our country.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

This was the first thing that popped into my head... bad me! Bad!
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
      X