Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you MEAN I can't spend money that I don't have ?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, absolutely. But that lesson has been pretty much relegated to the dustbin of history...along with the dustbin, whatever the hell that is.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

That is why I double check I have two ways to pay!

Quoth Jester View Post
      Oh, absolutely. But that lesson has been pretty much relegated to the dustbin of history...along with the dustbin, whatever the hell that is.
      Dustbin is the garbage man. In Britain, they refer to garbage men as dust men because they empty the dust bin.
      Last edited by Ree; 05-28-2013, 10:34 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
      ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        While in the past washing dishes may have been used as an alternative for payment, I don't know any restaurant that would seriously consider it anymore.
        There is an old Broom Hilda cartoon where she tells the waiter that she has no money, and has to wash the dishes for her meal. The last panel shows the waiter stuffing Broom Hilda into the dishwasher with the dirty dishes.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          I've been in the food service industry for 27 years now. (Holy crap, I'm getting old!) in all that time, no one has ever washed dishes for their meal.
          I saw a stand-up comedian on TV who did a piece about that particular myth. It went something like, "How would a restaurant make their money by having the guy wash the dishes? Fire the dishwasher? Then the dishwasher goes home and says, 'Bad news, honey. I lost my job. Some guy came in and couldn't pay. But don't worry, we'll go out to eat, I won't pay, and I'll be working again!'"
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            As amusing a mental image as that so often is, let's dispel this myth right now. Because I hear it far too often, and it just has no basis in reality these days.

I've been in the food service industry for 27 years now. (Holy crap, I'm getting old!) in all that time, no one has ever washed dishes for their meal.

*large snip*
            This is probably one of those urban legends that started who-knows-where and has since passed into such common usage that people just use it without thinking.

But wait ... I love trying to find the history of odd phrases and expressions so I tried to find the origin of this one. I couldn't find the origin ... but I did find a story where it actually happened.

(Spoiler: it was a week-long ad campaign )

Comment

There's actually a restaurant in my area that does not have set menu prices. They ask that you pay what you can (or a bit extra if you can afford to do so). If you cannot pay for your food, you can volunteer to do dishes/bus tables/etc. to "pay" for what you ate...but they don't require it.

Comment

"...There's a doll who looks like Daddy, he's a funny little man. Pull the string and ask for money, there's a dollar in his hand..." - FZ
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Screw the dishes. If I own a restaurant, the dead-beat is cleaning out the grease trap to pay his way.

(The sheer gratitude from whatever employee got out of doing it would more than pay for most dinners.)

Comment

Sms, that is pure genius.

Or have them scrub down the trash cans, clean the toilets, scrub the walls, etc. I like the way you're thinking here!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Sms, that is pure genius.

Or have them scrub down the trash cans, clean the toilets, scrub the walls, etc. I like the way you're thinking here!
                      For repeat offenders, they could be made to wait on the non-tipping sucky customers.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ironclad, the basic problem with that idea is that we rarely know who the non-tippers are until they leave. And in a tourist town like this, especially, they rarely come back.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                          There's actually a restaurant in my area that does not have set menu prices. They ask that you pay what you can (or a bit extra if you can afford to do so). If you cannot pay for your food, you can volunteer to do dishes/bus tables/etc. to "pay" for what you ate...but they don't require it.
                          i heard of a restaurant the does that too but they don't ask people to bus if they can't pay. the funny thing they've found people are paying more than if they ate at a regular restaurant.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            While in the past washing dishes may have been used as an alternative for payment, I don't know any restaurant that would seriously consider it anymore. Not just because its probably illegal to have a non-employee working in the back of the house (or at all), but because restaurants already HAVE employees who are being paid to do just that, and are certainly going to be more efficient than some financially challenged jackass off the street.
                            Definitely a Hollywood myth:
                            Thoroughly Modern Millie & Pee-wee's Big Adventure have such scenes.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth dawnfire View Post
                              i heard of a restaurant the does that too but they don't ask people to bus if they can't pay. the funny thing they've found people are paying more than if they ate at a regular restaurant.
                              part of that is that the normal prices are invisible- you have no way of judging how much the restaurant expects to get out of each dish. People tend to be more honest in judging something value when they are doing the judging, rather than when someone is insisting on a certain value.

another reason is because people are often more genrerous when thye are full

I would also be curious to know of any correlation between generosity in the amount somene pays and the amount of alcohol thye've had- I suspect there may be a correlation

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                                you have no way of judging how much the restaurant expects to get out of each dish.
                                Industry standard is a 65 to 75 percent markup on item cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X