Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always look either on the dealership's websites or on Sunday when they are closed. I find it far easier to narrow the field down and then go back when they are open to test drive the cars I am interested in. Many websites have pictures of the inside and outside from different angles which really helps in deciding which ones you like. I work at a dealership and most of our salespeople actually prefer that the customer have an idea of which cars they are interested in before getting started.
    "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
      I wish the in laws weren't so insistent on it being a NEW car.

My credit's shot, so...
      It's supposedly easier to get a new car loan than an equivalent used car loan.

Also, new cars tend to have much better warranties than used cars, as long as you stick with the required maintenance plan.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Well, today was my first full day off from both jobs that wasn't my birthday or a Sunday, and I was really hoping to do some in person looking around with the male of the household, and maybe my mom (maybe not her, it was kinda hot out and she's getting old )...

Nope.

The dickwad I share an apartment with had the bright idea to ride his bicycle to his doctor's appointment 35 or so miles away this morning...and back. That means that he would be too worn out to want to do anything for the rest of the day.

He's not the one getting a billion texts a day from his mother asking if I bought a car yet.

This is so frustrating.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I just got a "new" to me car. It is under 4 thousand miles, 2 years old and 4K under blue book and super clean. We test drove a bunch of new cars. Most of the dealerships here don't do a lot of pressure and because of truecar.com don't negotiate much. We went to a mom and pop car lot after going to a bunch of used car sites. They do most of their sales thru the internet all over the country. They referred us to a credit union for the loan and we got a better rate than a bank would have given us. Ended up with 2015 Prius 2. Nothing to fancy but reliable. I feel like often a new car is a rip off because it loses so much value just driving it off the lot.

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
            I feel like often a new car is a rip off because it loses so much value just driving it off the lot.
            I agree, but they're insisting on *new*.
            Unseen but seeing
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              It's supposedly easier to get a new car loan than an equivalent used car loan.

Also, new cars tend to have much better warranties than used cars, as long as you stick with the required maintenance plan.
              Max interest rates are generally lower, too, on new cars. I think they can max out at 12.99%

With used (or "pre-owned") cars, I think the max is 24.99%.

The law may be different now, but I think that's what it was several years ago.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Almost got one yesterday, but couldn't quite agree on a price.
                Might be heading to Milwaukee today, I kinda want to, kinda don't. Long trip, and I have a ten hour shift starting at 10 tonight.
                Unseen but seeing
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Aislin View Post
                  I feel like often a new car is a rip off because it loses so much value just driving it off the lot.
                  Look at it this way--if you keep your car a long time (like I do), the loss in value really doesn't matter all that much. I've always factored in as an "operating expense." Also, if you do get a new car, you can pick and choose what you want. You won't have to settle for the pink-and-blue Geo Tracker (remember those? Seriously, what the hell was Chevy thinking?) sitting at the back of the lot

Another thing you might want to consider, are the base model cars. These might not have all of the features that the "top end" model might have, but some are pretty well equipped for what they are. For example, the Corolla CE I bought several years ago only lacks a few things that the S and LE had. I couldn't see the point of paying more for a body kit (S) or a fake wood dashboard (LE), and went with the CE instead. All of the "differences" were largely cosmetic--the engines, transmissions, and suspensions didn't differ between the tiers.

Lastly, if you can handle a manual transmission, these can usually be picked up for hundreds less than an automatic car. Of course, the trade-off is that you might not want to get the color you really want.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I got me a cute little 2016 electric blue Dodge Dart.
                    I named it Ruben, after my friend.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                      I got me a cute little 2016 electric blue Dodge Dart...
                      A song about its ancestor.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                      X