X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wetwang
    Netherthong

Also, Americans tend to parse Clitheroe differently to us.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
      What's wrong with Bruce? Plenty of excellent people are called Bruce! I happen to be one of them!
      Speaking of people (or things) named Bruce, THIS guy voices Bruce in Finding Nemo and also voices The Great Goblin in the Hobbit...

Yes, that's a guy.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Wetwang
        Netherthong

Also, Americans tend to parse Clitheroe differently to us.

Rapscallion
        You should see what they do to Penistone....
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
          Newfoundland is awash in odd place names. Most famous case in point is Dildo, NL - yes, I've been there and it was a very lovely and quiet community

Here's a pretty complete list of place names in Newfoundland and Labrador (yes, technically the same province):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_and_Labrador
          Best part about Dildo is you have to go past (or through) Spread Eagle

Comment

Dame Edna!!!! Hiya possums!

Comment

Quoth Sunshine View Post
              Dame Edna!!!! Hiya possums!
              *throws gladioli*

Comment

Adding to the list,we have Pity Me and Wide Open,Once and Twice Brewed
                and the wonderfully named Land of Green Ginger in Hull and the Whip-ma-Whop-ma-Gate in York.
                And not forgetting Cornwall's highest point. Brown Willy
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

There are two places in Adelaide called sturt and upper sturt.

Oddly enough, they are nowhere NEAR one another....there are about 5-10 suburbs between them depending on which way you drive.

Comment

Hubby grew up next to a small town called "Knob Lick". I still get embarrassed when I have to say that name or road name to folks that aren't familiar with our area.

Comment

On a non rude place name thought, I forgot the Slaughters in the Cotswolds...
                      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

And you have Horry County SC.

Of course NC has their share as well, as it's been pointed out. But I can add these:

Lizard Lick
                        Conetoe
                        Climax (that one's just a few miles from me)
                        Stumpy Point
                        Nags Head
                        Whynot
                        Seven Devils
                        Kill Devil Hills
                        Tick Bite (couldn't you see yourself telling folks you live in Tick Bite? )
                        And who could forget Bat Cave, NC. Wonder if that's Batman's summer home?
                        Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 12-15-2013, 03:06 PM.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Near us,it's old mining country and some of the mines have wonderful names. I can still recite some of them... Wheal Bush,Wheal Busy,Wheal Venture,Wheal Jane,Ding Dong,Ting Tang,Ale and Cakes and Cupboard

Comment

For a short while many years ago, I lived on Clambake Drive. Oddly, that was in a desert town, not here in Florida. Go figure.

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
                            My mother, meanwhile, grew up in the Point Lookout community across the county, on the side of Sugarloaf Mountain.
                            One of the Florida Keys is named Sugarloaf.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                            There are two places in Adelaide called sturt and upper sturt.

Oddly enough, they are nowhere NEAR one another....there are about 5-10 suburbs between them depending on which way you drive.
                            This actually makes sense to me. Chances are good that Sturt and Upper Sturt are older than the suburbs between them, and were named when they were the only places around, and there was a lot more spade and a lot less suburbs. At least, that's my theory. I could be wrong...

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

I got married in Tobaccoville,NC. Marriage went up in smoke a few years later.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

We also had a Why Not? in Worcestershire-a few little houses that take their name from the Why Not pub?-named after the 1894 Grand National winner,who was owned by the original landlords.

Comment

Working...
                                X