X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Illinois.

Gays (Home of a 2 story Outhouse)
    Effingham (Where you will have an effing good time)

Around my Area:

Hicksville, oh
    Hell, MI (already been mentioned)
    Texas, oh and Florida, oh (Along OLD US 24)
    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Don't forget Paris, Texas. And I'm pretty sure there's a Lisbon, Texas, as well. Too lazy to check right now.
      I don't know about Lisbon, TX...but there is a Moscow in Pennsylvania, as well as a Cairo in Illinois

Closer to home, we have Beaver County, Beaver Falls, and Big Beaver. I'm sure you all can snicker at those

Also nearby, are the towns of...

Spaces Corners
      California
      Charleroi (the "other" one is in Belgium)
      Eighty Four (home of the lumber company)
      Economy
      Prosperity
      Glasgow
      Gringo (unincorporated, and no longer shows up on maps)
      Houston
      Indiana
      Lick Run
      Mars
      Penn (Yep, Penn, Pennsylvania)
      South Park
      Standard Shaft (usually referred to as "Shaft" by residents)
      White Barn (the entire town consists of a white barn and a mailbox)

Some of the more interesting town names include Acme, Elephant, Japan, Library, Number Thirty-Seven, Reading No 3, Rough and Ready, White Horse, Three Tons, Wawa, and Windsor Castle. Most of these were originally mining towns, and were named after the mining companies. Most are largely forgotten now.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

One of the more famous railway stations in Wales reputedly has the longest name in the world. On most maps and destination monitors, for reasons of space, it is abbreviated to "Llanfair PG" or "Llanfairpwll" - but the full name essentially reads as a description of where the village is.

Another common but amusing quirk of railway stations is that they were often built where it was convenient to put the railway, rather than directly beside the village it nominally served. In some cases this resulted in several miles' travel to get between one and the other, and railway companies often - but not always - lampshaded this by naming the station, for example, "Maentwrog Road" if it was merely in the general vicinity of Maentwrog.

The highest-altitude station in England (and Britain's highest mainline station, not counting oddities like the Snowdon Mountain Railway) is currently Dent, high in the Pennine hills. The village of Dent is nearly five miles away and at a considerably lower altitude. The railway, of course, had been built as a through route, and was having quite enough difficulty simply getting through the terrain as it was, without diverting to serve this very small settlement.

Comment

I have been to the towns of:

Zanesville Ohio
          Kilbride Ontario
          Dorking Ontario
          WaWa Ontario
          Kilworthy Ontario
          Swastika Ontario

Also my favourite lakes:
          Painkiller lake, Ontario
          Go Home Lake, Ontario

And the provincial (national?) park:
          Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump, Alberta
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Oooh, I forgot about Dafter, MI.
            "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
            Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
            X