This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th annual Gamers Christmas help...

So Every year for the past 7, I've hosted a small gathering of my gaming group to exchange gifts, and have a nice dinner...

This year our group has expanded to almost 10 people due to show up at my house with dinner in mind, and while its a pot luck, since I always host, I make the main dish which is traditional a beef dish of some sort, typically prime rib (5 people at most in prior years).

So staying with the Beef main ingredient, can you guys help me come up with a new dish? Only allergy is mushrooms, cannot have any.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Guiness Stew. Cook's Country has the recipe I use. No mushrooms. We had it recently for a gaming night (8 of us) and it was incredible. Used Guiness Red Harvest Stout.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I would make a nice large beef pot roast. Easy, and if done right, is delicious.

Comment

Shepherd's pie?
        shish-ka-bobs(sp?)
        BBQ Biscuit w/ buns?

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
          Shepherd's pie?
          That'd be my recommendation, I love making Shepherd's Pie for gatherings (it's super filling, which is always nice). Here's the recipe I usually use (adjusted for 10 servings, may want to make slightly more tho):

Ingredients:
          1.75 LBS lean ground beef
          3-5 cloves garlic, minced
          ~6-7 cups mixed veggies. I prefer peas and corn, carrots also work. Can used canned veggies if you're in a hurry, they still work well, just drain the can of its juices first.
          3.5 cups mashed potatoes
          Roughly 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 cup shredded mozzarella (can use more if you really love cheese)
          3.5 ounces cream cheese, maybe a little more (I just use Philadelphia brand)
          Roughly 1.5 to 2 cups beef gravy, thickened

Directions:
          1. Preheat oven to 375º

2. Brown the meat in a skillet, add seasonings if you wish (I love to add http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/blends/swtmakansas.html to mine, just for some added kick). Drain off the excess juices and remove from heat.

3. Cook/mix up your potatoes (can make "real" mashed potatoes, or even use instant potatoes if you're in a rush), mixing in the cream cheese, half of the cheddar/mozzarella, and the garlic while hot so they melt. Stir vigorously to make sure the cream cheese is spread throughout the potatoes as much as possible.

4. Mix together the meat, vegetables, and gravy (try to make the gravy very thick, as it will keep the meat moist) and spoon into a baking dish. For 10 people, you may need to use multiple dishes, just try to spread it as evenly as possible.

5. Cover the mixture with the potatoes, then top with the rest of the cheddar/mozzarella by sprinkling it on top. Bake 20 min at 375º, or until heated through.

*NOTE, oven temps are based on Colorado cooking, and our altitude sometimes throws things off. Experiment a bit if needed. Just make sure the top layer doesn't burn into a crust

Once it cooks, let it stand for a couple minutes to cool, then dive in. Tastes great along with the rest of the cream cheese, and even ketchup works as a condiment
          "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
          "What IS fun to fight through?"
          "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Hearty beef stew or a good roast brisket would be my votes. Although the Shepherd's Pie is a great idea as well.
            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

How about Tony Bourdain's version of Beef Bourguinon?

Boeuf Bourguignon
              2 Comments
              by Anthony Bourdain
              article-bourdain-boeuf-bourguignon_new%7D

Recipe from "Les Halles Cookbook," courtesy of Anthony Bourdain

Boeuf Bourguignon is one of those classic French dishes that is easy to prepare, sticks to your ribs and will dazzle your guests.

Total Prep: about 3 hours, serves 6

Ingredients

3-lb. paleron of beef, or chicken steak or same amount of shoulder or neck, cut into 1-1/2- inch pieces

1 garlic clove

1 bouquet garni [2 bay leaves, 3 sprigs parsley, 3 sprigs thyme]

1/4 cup of olive oil

4 onions, thinly sliced

1 tbs. all-purpose flour

1 cup red Burgundy

6 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces

Salt and pepper

A little chopped flat parsley

Equipment

Dutch oven or large, heavy-bottomed pot

Wooden spoon

Large spoon or ladle

Stage 1

Season the meat with salt and pepper.

In the Dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat until it is almost smoking. Add the meat in batches -- not all at once! -- and sear on all sides until it is well- browned (not gray). You dump too much meat in the pot at the same time and you'll overcrowd it; cool the thing down and you won't get good color.

Sear the meat a little at a time, removing it and setting it aside as it finishes. When all the meat is a nice, dark brown color and has been set aside, add the onions to the pot. Lower the heat to medium-high until the onions are soft and golden brown (about 10 minutes). Sprinkle the flour over them. Continue to cook about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally then, add the red wine. Naturally, you want to scrape up all that really good fond from the bottom of the pot with your wooden spoon. Bring the wine to a boil.

Stage 2

Return the meat to the pot and add the carrots, garlic and bouquet garni. Add just enough water (and 2 big spoons of demi glace, if you have it) so that the liquid covers the meat by one-third -- meaning you want a ratio of 3 parts liquid to 2 parts meat. This is a stew, so you want plenty of liquid, even after it cooks down and reduces. Bring to a boil, reduce to a gentle simmer, and let it cook for about 2 hours, or until the meat is tender (break-apart-with-a-fork tender).

You should pay attention to the dish, meaning check it every 15 to 20 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot to make sure the meat is not sticking or, God forbid, scorching. You should also skim off any foam or scum or oil collecting on the surface, using a large spoon or ladle. When done, remove and discard the bouquet garni, add the chopped parsley to the pot and serve.

It is great with crusty bread and salad, with something fairly simple for dessert like apple pie.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thought of another good one, I've made this recipe a few times and have loved it every time (with a couple modifications): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/awesome...st/detail.aspx

I follow the recipe as listed there, but sub in beef broth for the water, and also add in chopped carrots and celery. I also flour the meat, which thickens the juices a bit, and last time I seared the meat in some oil (which helps lock in the moisture as it cooks, though it's not really necessary for a slow cooker meal). I try to cook for 8-9 hours on low in my crock, so it comes out super tender.

Optional: I cut off a lot of the fat and let it sit in the bottom of the crock. This avoids having slices of meat with a bunch of gristle, but you still get the added flavor into the meat.

After it cooks, I remove the meat from the crock and slice it up; using a strainer, I'll get the veggies out, and as much of the gristle as I can, then xfer the juices into a sauce pan (put the meat/veggies back into the crock and set it on warm for now). There, I'll add some more flour to thicken it, and some garlic salt/pepper to taste, and boom, instant gravy. Whip up some mashed potatoes with cream cheese and minced garlic (or garlic salt if I'm lazy), and bam, you have a full, easy meal. Even instant mashed potatoes work well, since the gravy will have a ton of flavor to it.

This one takes time, simply from using the slow cooker, but overall it is one of the most painless and simple recipes I know.
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                X