This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened...

Was sitting at home earlier today, and something finally happened that I'd somehow avoided. Someone I knew came to my place to talk about a drawing that he wanted to commission. We got the basic description, and I was doing a very early, very basic sketch...when we finally got to the topic of price.

"Oh," he said, with the intellect of a stunned cow, "I thought you would do it for free to get your art out there."

You thought wrong, sucko! Closed the sketch (without saving) and the description I'd typed up (also without saving) and mentioned that our business was concluded before throwing him out, more or less. Still angers me though...this was not a small commission. It would've contained 5 characters, as well as a detailed background, and would've been one of the toughest drawings I've been asked to do thus far. And he wanted it for free. Yeah. I don't think so. In fact, I can say with 100% surety that, no, I don't intend to spend days/weeks of my time doing your complicated commission in return for a big, fat nothing.

He then asked for me to print the sketch, to which I noted it wasn't saved when I closed this, so it was gone. Before he said it, I also made sure to state that the description he gave was also not saved. Went all SC on me threatening to have me banned from the art site that I used if I didn't do the piece for free, but I suddenly remembered I had started a webcam to record the description as well, and mentioned that to him...so I would simply send the mods the recording to let them know he tried to blackmail a free commish

Which I did anyway, because I'm vindictive like that.

Anyway, just needed to vent a bit...I don't take many art commissions (mostly because I'm not all that confident in the quality of my pieces), so it was a bit of a downer to think I had a profitable one coming in, only to get the rug pulled out from under me like that. Oh well...
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

At least you found out before you actually did all that work. What a tool, though...expecting you to do something that detailed and complicated and then not pay for it?? Good on ya for recording the convo, though. Let's see him try to cause trouble now!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This should run to a few updates .
      You did all the right things.

Comment

Okay, I can can kinda see people who are clueless enough to think they can get free art from a friend, or to "get it out there," get exposure, etc. I don't agree with it, mind you, but I can see how some people might not get that that's not alright.

But to do this with a complex piece is a bit much.

And then threatening to blackmail the artist into doing it? That is where it goes completely over the top of Annoying Mountain and comes careening down Crazy Run into Obnoxiousville, splashing down hard in Get The Fuck Outta Here Lake.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          ... splashing down hard in Get The Fuck Outta Here Lake Sewage Treatment Lagoon.
          Fixed that for us all...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

No updates yet. I had showed the video of the site mods (one of them lives near me and we see each other a lot), and he said he'd make sure the guy was dealt with...apparently he didn't try to go through with his threat yet though. Either way, I dropped his commission and blocked him from posting to my page, so hopefully he's smart enough to let it go (if he makes an alternate profile to post nasty things, I'll just put the video up on youtube and let people watch it. As a bonus, I didn't realize that not only was the webcam on, but it was also recording a screen capture with the same audio, so I was able to split them into a combined file.

I'm starting to feel that it's pretty likely that he will let the whole thing die out now, though he does know that I'm going to Las Vegas on Friday, so he may try to sneak some bad posts in hoping I don't see them for a few days, and then he can get people on his side. Not likely, to be honest, but I'll be checking things out just in case
            "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
            "What IS fun to fight through?"
            "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              That is where it goes completely over the top of Annoying Mountain and comes careening down Crazy Run into Obnoxiousville, splashing down hard in Get The Fuck Outta Here Lake.
              Oh...oh my. If there weren't such a tiny character limit, I would ask to put this in my sig.
              "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
              Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
              X