Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The one night of the year where I actually LIKE Christmas songs!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one night of the year where I actually LIKE Christmas songs!

So I did a bit of digging and this is more or less a foreign concept in other places, but I'm starting my own tradition with this concept and running with it.

Every year, around Australia in December, we will have "Carols by Candlelight." These run at local council level and state level. That is, each state has their own "Carols". Basically picture 2 hours of Christmas songs being played/sung by various people, including celebrities and there you go. Usually touted as a family friendly event where everyone is encouraged to wave candles and sing along (sort of like a rock concert really )

The arrangements of said songs vary between good, bad and even worse than the muzak played in stores (we got off lightly this year...most stores did a mix of 3-4 carols then some regular songs repeat ad nauseum).

There are two that are broadcast on TV ever year: the Sydney one (Carols in the Domain) and the Melbourne one. The Melbourne one is done on Christmas Eve.

My new tradition is going to consist of sitting in front of the TV Christmas Eve, watching the Carols and rating the performances on what they're wearing and what they're doing/singing. And also giggling at the cymbal guy during the Hallelujah chorus (long story short: he conducted the band for the carols for about 6 years, but always handed over the reins to someone else to take the cymbals for the hallelujah chorus. He has since given up on conducting the carols (I think?) but still does the cymbals for the song. Now he just hams it up on and around the stage a little until the big finish)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X