This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must-NOT-Have Gifts

If you're rushing out the door to do some last-minute shopping, take a minute to read this funny list of gifts to avoid. Having received every one of these gifts at some point, I think it's spot-on and applied to pretty much every gift giving occasion.

http://www.thescrib.com/8-christmas-...ke-people-hate

But I collect mugs, and love scented candles ...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I like everything on the list except the calendar.

Comment

I said to a friend the other day "I must be odd I like getting socks and bath stuff for Christmas."
        Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
          I said to a friend the other day "I must be odd I like getting socks and bath stuff for Christmas."
          OK. You get the odd and we'll get even.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I gave my supervisor a Starbucks gift card for Christmas.

She loves Starbucks. Wouldn't surprise me if she used it right after she got out of work today. So to her it wasn't a crappy gift by any means.

Besides, there are only three of us on the freight team able to chip in for her. We wouldn't be able to afford much other than the other lousy gifts mentioned.

She gave us all sweets for Christmas, so it balances out I guess.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I gave my work friends five dollar coffee gift cards. I know they love coffee, and its just a small gift i know they will use. I think the gist o the article is not to buy something for the sake of giving a gift. If you know if someones wants a mug or likes coffee, than its fine. If your not sure, a gift card or donate money to Charity or even a card to let them know your thinking of them would be fine.
              Candles would be the gift not to give me. I mean i like them and if I had a house, I would be okay. However I live in apartment with a roommate who has a lot of stuff. I have very little room, for decorative items and little storage room. My mom, sister and I exchange stockings and in the past years they have given me tons of candles. They were nice and I tried to save them, but I had to get rid of them due to lack of space. This year, I asked for them to to skip candles.

Comment

I disagree with this list. I love getting scented candles, my favorite coffee mug was a gift, and I also love The Far Side daily calendar on my desk, that was a Christmas gift last year.

My mug looks like this - I love it!

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

LOVE your mug! If I could find one like that I think I'd get it for my SIL!

As for the list ... who makes up this nonsense? I wouldn't turn down any of that, even if I already had some ... especially the sweets!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                    As for the list ... who makes up this nonsense? I wouldn't turn down any of that, even if I already had some ... especially the sweets!
                    Agreed. Those are all perfectly acceptable gifts. Too many sweets? Put them in the fridge; they'll keep.

Bad gifts are things like infant toys for your twelve-year-old kid, a comb and brush set for a bald man, stuff like that.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                      LOVE your mug! If I could find one like that I think I'd get it for my SIL!
                      Google "Etsy Fill Line Mug" that's where my friend got me mine
                      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

(Quietly puts mug full of chocolates behind his back...)

Thanks, Misty. I think snaptwitch hit it on the head. We all know what gifts are on our "that didn't take much thought" list. I don't think too many of those lists are gonna match up, but the point is a good one.

Comment

I like everything on the list myself, except for the calendar (have my Maxine 2014 calendar for my desk already.)

If nobody wants that Starbucks gift card, I'll take it. I love Starbucks but don't get to go often.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                          X