This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
    Your little Khan sounds just fine to me. Different is a good thing and normal is boring.

This right here.

Maybe Khan truly will be an artist, and this is just an early indication of his creativity.

At the photo processing place I worked at years ago, we had several artists. Some of them, their photos were their art, others, took photos of their work that was on other media.

Some of them were the most fun, quirky (in a good way) people I've ever met, not a hint of pretentiousness about them at all.

One, in particular, was a woman that created art that was similar to those "Wacky Packages" bubble gum and cards I used to get as a kid in the '60's and '70's, that were weird and gross depictions of current products.

My customer also had an Art Car, that I'd frequently see parked around the part of town where I'd live, and I'd always see people admiring it. I'd boast that I knew the Artist! She also dressed kinda funky, and one day walked in carrying a purse, that was a functioning wall-style clock!

Anyway, in regards to the naming toys and such thing; around 20 or 21 years ago, my friends' little girl and I were playing with her Barbies. I think she had just acquired at least some of teem, because she was trying to come up with names, I was trying to.....ummmm....help her.

I think she named one or two, (of course these dolls already had their own names, like "Midge", and "Skipper" and such), but my little friend wanted her own names for them.

When she picked up one and was studying it, I started throwing out names.

Boy's names.

After suggesting each one, my little friend would say "noooooooo!" as if it should be obvious to me that they weren't girl's names.

Finally, I suggested "Oscar".

My little friend sat silently for a moment, studying the doll and stroking its hair, and decided that "Oscar" was the perfect name!

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

My cousin nicknamed her car "Muriel." Mine is nicknamed "Sigrid"
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
        Anyway, in regards to the naming toys and such thing; around 20 or 21 years ago, my friends' little girl and I were playing with her Barbies. I think she had just acquired at least some of teem, because she was trying to come up with names, I was trying to.....ummmm....help her.

I think she named one or two, (of course these dolls already had their own names, like "Midge", and "Skipper" and such), but my little friend wanted her own names for them.

When she picked up one and was studying it, I started throwing out names.

Boy's names.

After suggesting each one, my little friend would say "noooooooo!" as if it should be obvious to me that they weren't girl's names.

Finally, I suggested "Oscar".

My little friend sat silently for a moment, studying the doll and stroking its hair, and decided that "Oscar" was the perfect name!

Mike
        Heh, my sisters and I all had Barbies. None of them were called "Barbie" as far as we were concerned. Their names & personalities changed depending on what game we were playing. One, IIRC, was a rich chick called Melanie; can't remember the others, but I do recall that one of the Barbie's heads got switched with a different doll's body (marketed as Barbie's cousin Francie). It was YEARS before we found the original doll's body again and I have no idea what happened to the "Francie" doll's head
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

When I was a toddler, I had a stuffed beagle that I named Flash. I dragged that poor beagle everywhere, and if I didn't have it, I would cry. Mom always liked to tell me how I would ask her for, "Fwashy, mommy!"

My second car was a blue Lumina that I named Slayer. No, it wasn't named after the rock band. It just so happened to be one of those cars that would kill pretty much any animal or bird that crossed its path. Yes, it really was that car. I've not had any animals killed with a vehicle since that car. Really.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

When I was in high school, my cat had a litter of kittens that I named Up, Dressed, Out of bed and Ready for School. When my mom would wake me for school I would get the kittens, put them in her lap or her bed and go back to bed. It made her laugh when I did it.

Comment

Thanks to our girls, we have a sucking catfish called "Cup of Tea" but the goldfish have more prosaic names: "Orange-y" and "Silvery".

We also have a weimaraner called "Danny Crane" after Denny Crane from Boston Legal because he ingests things he shouldn't (chocolate + cane toads), leers at and tries to copulate with any female dog that he meets, forgets things, is dumb as a brick, snores rather loudly at times, and is incredibly lovable despite all of those things.
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

My kids have given some interesting nicknames to our animals.

I had a large orange Maine Coon who came to us from the shelter with the name Humphrey. The boys decided that was a stupid name. I told them it was an awesome name, and mentioned the actor Humphrey Bogart. Somehow or another, the cat's name morphed into Booger, which is what we called him until he passed away a little over a year ago.

I currently have a mastiff named Baxter. My youngest son calls him Bubbles. He even answers to it.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  ......I have no idea what happened to the "Francie" doll's head
                  Ha!

I meant to mention, that my little friend also had two Ken dolls around that time. One of them had a little tear in the base of its head, which made it pop off very easily.

Of course, I always had to grab that one, have him "walking" along, and either bump him, or flick his head, to where it would fall off, and exclaim: "OMG!! Headless Ken!!"

Oh, another thing I meant to mention; the name "Oscar" stuck for the one girl doll, well beyond that initial play session!

Mike
                  Meow.........

Comment

Meat Roast has been formally introduced to the rest of the menagerie. They were very welcoming. Especially Muddypaws and Stickypaws, the pandas I collectively refer to as 'the Paws'.

On the imaginary ninja assassin: a co-worker who is also my FB friend read a status I wrote about Fish Farm. A few days later he found a lost Lego ninja minifig, and after it wasn't claimed he popped it in my box for Khan with a note: "BEHOLD FISH FARM, HIGHLY-TRAINED NINJA WARRIOR".
                    Last edited by AnaKhouri; 12-31-2013, 06:32 PM.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      When I was a toddler, I had a stuffed beagle that I named Flash. I dragged that poor beagle everywhere, and if I didn't have it, I would cry. Mom always liked to tell me how I would ask her for, "Fwashy, mommy!"
                      Did you watch the Dukes of Hazzard when you were a toddler? In later seasons, sheriff Roscoe P. Coltraine had a beagle named Flash.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X