This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about Bro

Disclaimer: Mention of dark things like death, cults, conspiracies, politics. Not looking to start a debate plz. I just need help.

Suffice to say, my brother is in a pretty dark place right now. Before, he had a pretty good life. But now multiple things have happened to him. Bad things.
    I guess it all started when his mom died suddenly. That was a real blow. Then his only GF left him soon after that. Then he started thinking about how unfair life is, how we're all going to end up in the ground or in an urn. Then he joined a group that has a reputation for being cult like. Then things got even darker. His personality changed...
    He started getting into conspiracy theories, and politics. The other day I just made an innocent comment about current affairs and he blew up. Started spewing about it. All this hate and vitriol...I couldn't believe it. He used to be shy and sweet. Now I don't even know who he is.
    He's especially upset that we, my sister and I, don't seem to care, or disagree with him. He's become a total control freak. Anyway, you get the picture I hope. IDK if he's depressed or he needs help, or is it just a phase? I tried telling him that death is just a natural part in life, but he doesn't seem to accept that. I tried to tell him that life isn't fair, and everybody has to go through the same things, and we're not alone in that, but he didn't seem to accept it at all. He's just got angrier and more upset. He's in his early 20s btw.
    I want to be a good big sis and guide him in the right path. What can I say comfort him? Any words of wisdom? He doesn't smile or laugh anymore, and that worries me. He used to...at first I thought it was a phase but it's been months now. Does he need therapy? I doubt he'll go...he's become very suspicious.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

He needs help but getting him to accept that may be difficult. It could be a reaction to the bad things that have happened and he needs to work through them. However the paranoia and conspiracy theory issues would lead me to consider the onset of schizophrenia. His age is in the prime range when schizophrenia first develops. I am not a doctor just FYI just happen to know that. He is legally an adult so it would be difficult to force him to get help. You can be there to support him and encourage him to get help but if he is mentally unstable it may be very difficult to get through to him as he is not completely rational right now. I'm sure there are numbers you can call for advice...here is a site https://www.mentalhealth.gov/get-help/immediate-help/. I hope this help. Hugs and prayers.

Comment

The age old problem, you can't help someone who does not want to be helped and refuses to acknowledge that they need help.

I would suggest contacting your own doctor's office and see if they have any information on organizations in your area that can help.

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

Good luck.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
      X