This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-COM ressurected.

For those of us who are PC gamers, I'd wager than anyone playing games way back in '94 remembers a little turn-based tactical game that involved you trying your very best to kill a whole bunch of aliens before they killed you, took over the earth, and used the vast majority of humanity as semi-liquid base for their energy drinks.

Well, 15 years after the X-COM franchise's Turn-based games died off, Firaxis and 2K games have announced that they're working on a spiritual reimagining of the original X-COM.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is slated for a late 2012 release, and looks to be as harrowing and stress-inducing as the original games. I'm just glad that the Chrysalids haven't been seen (yet).

(Bit of trivia; in Europe, the first X-COM game was called UFO: Enemy Unknown, so the new name is a fusion of both iterations of the game)

Additional information is primarily on the Game Informer website.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...y-unknown.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...y-unknown.aspx

Ah yes, spiritual reimaging, aka taking the name and a VERY loose adaptation of the plot and running away with it.

Don't believe me? Check out the Genre it's labelled in. Yup, you guessed it. The tactical strategy game of 15 years ago is being given the FPS treatment. That's sure to get fans of the series interested, right?

(Sorry, but it is grating to me that every genre lately is seen by publishers as "It needs FPS elements in it!", then is proceeded to be remade into a shooter.)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I think you're thinking of a different game Lordlundar, there are 2 different xcom games coming out this year, an fps and a strategy game.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

To Clarify; Yes, there is a game called X-COM that's set in the '60s, and details an invasion of the US by extradimensional fractal beings. That game's being developed by 2K Marin, aka. the madmen that made Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

The XCOM game that I mentioned was JUST announced last week, and is being developed by Firaxis Games; the Madmen behind the Sid Meier games (Civilization, Alpha Centauri, Pirates!, Et al.), with the blessings of the original developers of X-COM.

So, there's Two X-Com games coming out this year; one that's a cross between LA Noire, Bioshock, and X-COM Apocalypse, and one that's basically 'What if X-COM was made today, instead of in 1994?'
        Last edited by Salted Grump; 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM. Reason: Removed needless snarking.

Comment

Yes, I do stand corrected.

With any luck the games will be given the "Bionic Commando" treatment where the one loyal to the original games sell like hotcakes while the one made by 2K bombs out as a nice big "f*** you!" in response to their comments to the community as to why they did it.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Technically, both are being made by 2K games. Firaxis studios is wholly owned by the 2K umbrella, after all.

Comment

Working...
            X