This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are they even OUT THERE???

Friend in Utah sent me an email with this video shot the other day in Bountiful - she lives about a mile away - she wasn't the person who shot the video though. It starts off a bit slow - but watch until the end! I bet none of these vehicles (especially the cars) had winter tires on. Quite a few mashups near the end especially the guy who hit the plow truck!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrJuigh2aCc&sns=fb
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

1) Don't hit your brakes on snow/ice
    2) Don't rev the gas on snow/ice
    3) Don't be trying to go fast on snow/ice (see about 3;43-3:46)
    4) Okay you know what? Just stay your ass home when it's like that. I have to admit though I got a laugh out of the whole thing...is that wrong of me? Because those are some really stupid people in that video, sorry to say! Wow!

Edited to correct spelling and to add that the most sickening impacts to me were the guy hitting the snow plow and the car that slid sideways, passenger side first, into the back of the pickup. Ouch!
    Last edited by BrenDAnn; 01-25-2012, 05:41 AM.
    "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
      Friend in Utah sent me an email with this video shot the other day in Bountiful...
      That storm was rain turning to sleet then snow.
      Utahns think they can drive in snow because our license plates state "Greatest Snow On Earth".

Truth is, for almost all of the population, even the residential side streets are dry 95% of the winter. This is a desert. The snowpack is in the mountains.

(I'm 10 miles [16 km] from Alta, for Gobi's sake, and I've broomed/shoveled the driveway four times this winter.)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Holy shit, that's insane. Reminds of a vid off youtube from last winter with an even steeper hill. If I get on my comp I'll try to find it.

4:20 & 5:00 ouch

I agree about the lack of winter tires. Tho even those would have a bit of trouble on an ice rink. Some of those folks were goig super fast! Like the pickup truck.

Description says people and police were even warning them at the top not to go down. Why would you not listen to this?!

Comment

That is why I stay home when the streets get bad. I have no business out there and am a danger to everyone around me.

Drove on ice for the first time ever in my life last February and I am never ever ever going to repeat the experience.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Eesh!

As a paper carrier, I don't always have the luxury of staying off the streets, but I drive slow, I chain up, and I don't drive down streets my car can't handle. If I see a bunch of wrecks ahead, it's usually safe to assume that street is not one I want to take my car down.

I also don't travel unnecessarily. I'll walk/take the bus to run errands whenever possible!
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Wow. I live in a "sno? What's that?" climate, and even I know that you steer INTO spins and let go of the gas & brake when yer in one >_< ... We may not have icy roads (except for bridges), but we do have the occasional hydroplaning problem.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Slayer View Post

Description says people and police were even warning them at the top not to go down. Why would you not listen to this?!
                People think they know better. Stirling Moss was onto something when he said "There are two things no man will never admit to doing badly: make love and driving" (badly paraphrased).

In my old job I was on a road closure because Local Steep Hill was closed due to snow & ice. Idiot Driver hopped out and said "It's ok - I've got [snow] chains". I watched him cobble these chains onto his car for about 15 minutes. Once he'd finished he looked at me with a smirk on his face and exclaimed "See!".

He got in his car and started the engine. As he started to try & pull away I hear a noise similar to a cheese grater being pulled over concrete. His chains were rather rapidly wrapped around his axles & suspension, resulting in total loss of forward motion.

At this point he became a little irritable and demanded my help. I graciously suggested that he arranges a tow because if we arranged it it would cost about £125...

He should have realised it was bad when he saw a bus come down the hill sideways.
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I agree with BHSKittyKat; I HAVE to go to work, snow or not, unless the manager calls that the previous officer is willing to stay over for a double, or until the roads are clear. I just have to take it slow and careful.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I used to work at a call center that had its own huge generator and diesel fuel tank. Once the town and most of the county were w/o power for days - not my employer! I had to detour around two road closures and almost hit a RR bridge abutment and a parked car trying to get there. Wound up having to call OnStar for my bearings because after the second detour and periodic white-outs I had no idea where I was!
                    Testing
                    "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

Quoth Caveat Emptor View Post
                      I used to work at a call center that had its own huge generator and diesel fuel tank. Once the town and most of the county were w/o power for days - not my employer! I had to detour around two road closures and almost hit a RR bridge abutment and a parked car trying to get there. Wound up having to call OnStar for my bearings because after the second detour and periodic white-outs I had no idea where I was!
                      I used to work evenings/nights for an alarm service company, 50 miles one way from my driveway to their parking lot. Hartford CT. They had a great generator and tank of fuel. I did not miss one single shift for winter weather the entire time I worked for them. I was pissed off because there were people who literally lived 5 blocks away that could not arse themselves to get in for work. I was never even late for a shift. Everybody else, they could wander in or NCNS at whim

[I quit because the manager was lecturing me on being late to work 4 times when pregnant because I had to stop, pull over and upchuck everything down to my toenails. Seems I was too white to pull random NCNS and wander in late at whim.]
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh good God! And I used to think people in Florida were idiots when it came to driving in the rain! Driving in that kind of weather is just plain STOOPID!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

My name's Calvin and I have a tiger in my tank. Don't I, Hobbes?
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ok, I have to confess. At the part where a car was coming and you could hear the people yelling, "Get out of the road, get out of the road!" and then the car went into the yard...I promptly said, "Get back in the road, get back in the road!" and laughed.

I am an awful person.

That being said, I grew up in weather like this, and I still would be listening to the cops at the top of the hill warning me to find a detour. I'm only out in such weather if I absolutely have to be, which is why errands two weeks ago got delayed a couple of days and I only headed out to drop off my daughter at school and pick her up again.
                            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                            X