This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Redbeard View Post
    Agreed. My FB is my dumping ground where I can cut loose. There is wok and there is home, and FB is definitely home.
    So you don't cook at home?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth CalyCoRose View Post
      Will there be a lot of fake or at least secondary accounts? 1 for personal and 1 for professional consideration?
      This. Seriously. This.

I already have a gmail, twitter, and FB for both my personal and professional use. My linkedin however is *only* attached to the professional email.

Applicants also had to submit short videos demonstrating their interest in the position.
      i suck at home vids of me. hell no.

the only reason i think they're demanding this is because... for a while companies (and government agencies too) were demanding your PASSWORDS until it went to court IIRC

Comment

Managers and HR people are just as susceptible to the latest trend as other people are. Something new comes down the pike that says "Do this and all your hiring problems will be solved!" - sometimes they bite.

Story: A few years ago, management here got a bug up wherever about using this new "personality survey" every time someone applied for a position in a different division of the dept. I saw the survey. It would have been easy to give the answers you knew they wanted, so it seemed pretty useless to me. Management even tried to make a long-time employee take this test "to see if she's a good fit" for a position they had already put her in, which she had worked in before, and which she manifestly had all the right qualifications for. But they had paid somebody to come up with this brilliant personality-survey idea, so I guess they had to justify it somehow.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I don't have twitter, facebook, or anything like that.

Can't give them what I don't have.

I wonder how that would go over.

Comment

Well, considering that the sorts of employers who would ASK for this info are already looking for it without telling you, I suppose it could be a good thing...At least this way, they won't get the wrong person who happens to share one's name.

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
            I agree 100% on that! That's the reason why set my facebook profile where only friends can see it and that it can't be searched in google or any other search engine.
            Cool. However, I would suggest researching the imminent changes to Google's privacy policy, and recent ones done by FB, to make sure that this still works as advertised.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              This.

I can really see this happening and there not being anything they can do about it.

So of course, I can suddenly see people in their 40's and 50's changing their birthdays to be "20 years younger".
              I have a FB account because it was the easiest way to get in touch with my cousins. I'm in my 40s and 90% of my friends (including my SO) aren't on FB so my friends list is woefull. But everyone on my list is an IRL friend or family.
              Ageism is rampant I don't care how much people say it isn't, but considering that most of the HR people I've interviewed with are half my age I can see this happening more and more.
              I can see asking to see your LinkdIn - my SO is on that for professional contacts. I can see asking to see that account since it would reflect on how you interact with other professionals in your given line of work.

Comment

I know you can hide these things BUT it does open the potential to reveal someone's sexual preference or lifestyle that they may not want revealed...and that can't be legal for job considerations.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  BUT it does open the potential to reveal someone's sexual preference or lifestyle that they may not want revealed.
                  What worries me is that, a company researching a potential employee on FB could find these things out *without wanting to*...which would likely leave them in the clear. They can't ask these things, but if they stumble upon them...>_< It's kinda like having a witness shouting out something damning -- but not admissible as evidence -- while on the Stand, and having the judge tell the jurors to disregard the statement -- it may be disallowed, but it's still in their minds, and will likely be remembered *because* it was called out.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    What worries me is that, a company researching a potential employee on FB could find these things out *without wanting to*...which would likely leave them in the clear. They can't ask these things, but if they stumble upon them...>_< It's kinda like having a witness shouting out something damning -- but not admissible as evidence -- while on the Stand, and having the judge tell the jurors to disregard the statement -- it may be disallowed, but it's still in their minds, and will likely be remembered *because* it was called out.
                    And because of that, I can see other forms of discrimination occurring as well-not just age.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                    X