X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Specialized Monitor Mount

Here's the low-down:

I've got a person of sound mind, but body is another issue. They're stuck in bed most days, and on good days can sit in a reclined Laz-E-Boy. Being there's not alot they can do, they'd like to do some computer surfing and gaming. A laptop will not work for their situation.

I'm looking for a monitor mount that can be moved into whatever position they can comfortable view it from as needed. I'm thinking some kind of wieghted floor mount that can be moved (for when he can sort-of sit in the recliner), with an attached swivel arm to hold the monitor and allow adjustments. I cannot mount to the wall due to landlord rules.

Any of my fellow CS-ers have some idea where I might start looking for such a beast, or what it would be reffered to so I might make searching for one a bit easier?
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

How big and what type of monitor?

The problem with the swivel arm will be the balance. If you want to swing it out over the chair, you will need a VERY heavy base.

This type of bed table might be the way to go.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

you might be thinking too big. if the monitor is attached to the chair it doesn't have to be a giant one since it'll be closer to the man's head.

Comment

https://www.google.com/#q=monitor+swivel+arm&tbm=shop

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          How big and what type of monitor?
          A good quality 20-ish inch flatscreen monitor.

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          you might be thinking too big. if the monitor is attached to the chair it doesn't have to be a giant one since it'll be closer to the man's head.
          The problem with small screens is resolution and reasonable print/graphics size. He also wants to try some online games, since arm movement isn't an issue--mainly back issues. I'd like a significant range of motion in the swivel arm because his position will depend on what his back/neck can stand that day. Someone else is available to adjust the screen for him, if it needs to be moved.

The longer desk arms here are promising. I wonder if any could be pole mounted, if I can find a rolling pole mount with a heavy enough base. I might be able to mount it on something like a medical bed tray, or a sturdy rolling table with some sandbags for counterwieght. I'll have to look closer at that site when I get home.

Thanks for responding so quickly folks! I appreciate any prodding in the right direction.

PS: Yes, I understand I'm fighting the laws of physics here. I'm just hoping I'm not the first person to need something like this.
          Last edited by Geek King; 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            I wonder if any could be pole mounted, if I can find a rolling pole mount with a heavy enough base.
            I was thinking about the pole mount idea. How about a floor to ceiling mounted pole? Chair is probably not going to be moving. Use two 1' x 1' pieces of 1/2" plywood, 1" pipe cut to length and threaded (get that from Home Depot or Lowes), two floor flanges, a couple of 1/2" wood screws (something that fits the floor flange holes), 6-8" piece of 2x4 or 2x6, two U 1.5" U bolts w/nuts.

Use the plywood as a base and a top to distribute the load. Cut the pipe to just fit between the plywood. As the threads on both ends are right handed, twisting the pipe won't expand/contract it. Turn just one floor flange to tighten the fit. Add a couples screws to the floor flange to keep it from twisting. Use the two U bolts to mount the 2X to the side of the pipe. Mount the swivel are to the 2X. Make sure the U bolts are spaced far enough to provide room to mount the swivel.

Or you could buy a Stripper Pole.

Might be cheaper to get a Jack Post.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              This type of bed table might be the way to go.
              I found this one:

Maybe a repair stand for bicycles like this: combined with a mount for flatscreen TVs?

Comment

Are the bed and the chair in the same room? Could you attach a mount to the bed in such a way that it could be useable from both the bed and the chair? That should take care of your counterweight problem.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Here's the low-down:

I've got a person of sound mind, but body is another issue. They're stuck in bed most days, and on good days can sit in a reclined Laz-E-Boy. Being there's not alot they can do, they'd like to do some computer surfing and gaming. A laptop will not work for their situation.

I'm looking for a monitor mount that can be moved into whatever position they can comfortable view it from as needed. I'm thinking some kind of wieghted floor mount that can be moved (for when he can sort-of sit in the recliner), with an attached swivel arm to hold the monitor and allow adjustments. I cannot mount to the wall due to landlord rules.

Any of my fellow CS-ers have some idea where I might start looking for such a beast, or what it would be reffered to so I might make searching for one a bit easier?
                  I surf and game on my laptop all the time, at home on a hospital table and at Moms in a recliner on a small folding cheap assed table I ordered online. I added a drawer to the hospital table to hold small crap so it isn't rolling around.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    I surf and game on my laptop all the time, at home on a hospital table and at Moms in a recliner on a small folding cheap assed table I ordered online. I added a drawer to the hospital table to hold small crap so it isn't rolling around.
                    I was thinking laptop or monitor on hospital table as well. The older ones (perhaps there's a second hand medical supply place?) could be adjusted for height, so might work for both chair & bed, and they had drawers in them as well, so they could store a few things handy - well, sort of a drawer, part of the top lifted up, and the compartment was underneath.

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

The problem is that some days he just can't sit up at all, or else can only stand to be on his side, so the bed table doesn't work so hot. A full pivot monitor arm would allow his caretaker to move the monitor to a position he could see it--even if that is parallel (or close) to the floor/ceiling!
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The longer desk arms here are promising. I wonder if any could be pole mounted, if I can find a rolling pole mount with a heavy enough base. I might be able to mount it on something like a medical bed tray, or a sturdy rolling table with some sandbags for counterwieght.
                        Quoth csquared View Post
                        I was thinking about the pole mount idea. How about a floor to ceiling mounted pole? Chair is probably not going to be moving. Use two 1' x 1' pieces of 1/2" plywood, 1" pipe cut to length and threaded (get that from Home Depot or Lowes), two floor flanges, a couple of 1/2" wood screws (something that fits the floor flange holes), 6-8" piece of 2x4 or 2x6, two U 1.5" U bolts w/nuts.

Use the plywood as a base and a top to distribute the load. Cut the pipe to just fit between the plywood. As the threads on both ends are right handed, twisting the pipe won't expand/contract it. Turn just one floor flange to tighten the fit. Add a couples screws to the floor flange to keep it from twisting. Use the two U bolts to mount the 2X to the side of the pipe. Mount the swivel are to the 2X. Make sure the U bolts are spaced far enough to provide room to mount the swivel.

Or you could buy a Stripper Pole.
                        The pipe setup would have a VERY limited range of adjustment. Would a cargo bar work? It's a gizmo with a geared lever, where you set it to almost the length needed, then swing the lever until it latches, extending the bar to a force-fit. I'd go for the space-saver model (square, with a 2-position telescoping adjustment in addition to the geared adjustment) - these ones can be set up for anything from 4 feet to 8 1/2 feet, while a conventional one has about a 6" range of adjustment. Cargo bars are a standard item in the trucking industry. Your tag reads "SW Ohio" - Pilot/Flying J truck stops sell the "space saver" bars, and they have locations in Franklin (I-75 exit 36), Jeffersonville (I-71 exit 69), and Wilmington (I-71 exit 50).
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Oddly I recall coming across something like this while chair shopping. Let's see.....ah, here we are:

Something like this?

6 foot reach, can be mounted on the bed frame itself. No need to order it from there of course seeing as its in Canada, just where I recall seeing it is all. I'm sure there are alternatives but that might be the style of mechanism that would work.
                          Last edited by Gravekeeper; 05-28-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X